Darts...

Sideshow

What a night! Third one i have been to and by far the best, that includes seeing taylor beaten last year!

The first match was fantastic, Part was getting wound up badly by the crowd and it spurred him on!

The second match was the beginning of my new found love for Terry Jenkins! He is a fantastic wind up merchant, whilst both players where practicing during the break, he was playing on the boos coming mardles way and just was lapping up the cheers he got simply for not being wayne mardle! But 7 out of 8 doubles for mardle, he should get booed every week!

Klassen then got humped, then Wade got to stage beyond humped, raped id say!! The crowd where singing a combo of "does she take it up the arse" and "Wade taks it up the arse". Doubt that was audible on tele!

Plus, those two walk on girls where handing out valentines cards when we left :wub:

I got chucked out during the second game for standing on my chair. I can't even mind any of it which was a disaster, started on the bevvy wayyyyy too early.

Watching the re-run just now and another impressive showing from The Mervinator

Ted Hankey has declined his GSOD invitation.

While I don't think hes in the same mold as Martin Adams for his views, I think the BDO talked him out of playing in it, because hes a BDO stalwart who has slagged the PDC before and would make them look horrendously bad if Hankey, their world champion, played poorly at the GSOD, which is likely as Hankey as we all know loses it with the sweetie rustling crowd at Lakeside never mind a PDC crowd and not forgetting a far stronger field of players to beat.

Good luck to those going to the Scottish Open. ;)

Edited by MTJ

Ted Hankey has declined his GSOD invitation.

While I don't think hes in the same mold as Martin Adams for his views, I think the BDO talked him out of playing in it, because hes a BDO stalwart who has slagged the PDC before and would make them look horrendously bad if Hankey, their world champion, played poorly at the GSOD, which is likely as Hankey as we all know loses it with the sweetie rustling crowd at Lakeside never mind a PDC crowd and not forgetting a far stronger field of players to beat.

Good luck to those going to the Scottish Open. ;)

Yep, good luck for next week.

Martin Adams has also, unsurprisingly, declined his invite to the 2009 GSOD.

Yep, good luck for next week.

Martin Adams has also, unsurprisingly, declined his invite to the 2009 GSOD.

On the subject of Adams:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/A...-the.4973167.jp

With the likes of Wolfie around the divide is going to last for a long long time to come. The guy sounds so bitter.

I am personally dissappointed that the PDC slates the BDO the way it does, With the PDC yes its the showpiece of Darts and has all the razzmatazz compared to the BDO but I personally feel that the BDO has started to get its act together in terms of more tv coverage(BBC and Setanta) and hope that it continues to grow with regards to coverage and prize money for the players. I love darts and have been to premier league events in Glasgow where the craic was fantastic but there is something still special about BDO events. Gary Anderson has switched over along with Mark Webster but will they make as much money as they did in the BDO? The BDO will be very annoyed that they have lost another 2 stars to its bigger rival but no player is bigger than the sport and I am positive with these lads going it will only be time before more excellent players come through the ranks. What does others think of the latest switches across organisations and what way forward for the BDO now??

I am personally dissappointed that the PDC slates the BDO the way it does, With the PDC yes its the showpiece of Darts and has all the razzmatazz compared to the BDO but I personally feel that the BDO has started to get its act together in terms of more tv coverage(BBC and Setanta) and hope that it continues to grow with regards to coverage and prize money for the players. I love darts and have been to premier league events in Glasgow where the craic was fantastic but there is something still special about BDO events. Gary Anderson has switched over along with Mark Webster but will they make as much money as they did in the BDO? The BDO will be very annoyed that they have lost another 2 stars to its bigger rival but no player is bigger than the sport and I am positive with these lads going it will only be time before more excellent players come through the ranks. What does others think of the latest switches across organisations and what way forward for the BDO now??

Webster and Anderson will make plenty more than they ever did in the BDO, where other than the Lakeside winner's money the prize money is rotten in comparison to anything the PDC offer.

I can see Scott Waites and Simon Whitlock also switching before the year is out.

The BDO tv deal is up in 2010. At the rate they are losing stars and getting relegated to the red button for repeats of Bargain Hunt and Ready Steady Cook, then I think its a goner.

The BDO got their deal off Setanta thanks to the boom Sky and the PDC have created with darts.

There is good young players in the BDO who will naturally come through and replace departed players, but they won't reach their potential overnight and at the rate the BDO is losing lots of its stars its hard for the gap in talent to be refilled at the same rate.

The BDO tv deal is up in 2010. At the rate they are losing stars and getting relegated to the red button for repeats of Bargain Hunt and Ready Steady Cook, then I think its a goner.

I wouldn't be so sure. The viewing figures for the WC final at the Lakeside were incredible. I'm sure that the BBC would have no problems keeping the Worlds at least as a result.

Martin Atkins and Scott Waites will move to the PDC within the next 2-4 weeks. Simon Whitlock will follow around August/September.

Both named in the England team for the home nations, cant see them moving but u never know, atkins would get destroyed in the PDC, the worst counter in the world by far (doesnt actually switch away from 20s no matter what it will leave him!!!)

I know this is slightly vearing off tangent, but the situation within darts is very similar to that of wrestling.

It was always seen as a lower class sport with not a lot of money available. The the WWF arrived (see PDC) who changed the public's perception of the sport by making it into "sports entertainment"

While the WWF prospered, the old school promotions (see BDO) were left grumbling about how it wasn't real sport and they were "real" All the while though members of the old promotions see the huge amounts of cash available and eagerly jump ship.

Eventually the talent will be bled dry and there will be no other promotion. And when Taylor finally calls it quits, we will probably see darts take yet another different turn, just like the WWF were forced to do when they lost their number 1 draw, Hulk Hogan.

I hope that the PDC begin some sort of talent program where young players can learn from legends of the game on not only hop to improve their game, but how to handle the pressures of being on Sky and under the lights

Edited by revolvingduck

I know this is slightly vearing off tangent, but the situation within darts is very similar to that of wrestling.

It was always seen as a lower class sport with not a lot of money available. The the WWF arrived (see PDC) who changed the public's perception of the sport by making it into "sports entertainment"

While the WWF prospered, the old school promotions (see BDO) were left grumbling about how it wasn't real sport and they were "real" All the while though members of the old promotions see the huge amounts of cash available and eagerly jump ship.

Eventually the talent will be bled dry and there will be no other promotion. And when Taylor finally calls it quits, we will probably see darts take yet another different turn, just like the WWF were forced to do when they lost their number 1 draw, Hulk Hogan.

I hope that the PDC begin some sort of talent program where young players can learn from legends of the game on not only hop to improve their game, but how to handle the pressures of being on Sky and under the lights

Thats a lot of rubbish. Even without Taylor the PDC has a much bigger field of quality players and plenty more resources especially in terms of the all important one, prize money, where they shite allover the BDO. They'll continue to hand pick the best players that come through in the BDO. The BDO will never ever be the most successful professional darts organisation again.

Thats a lot of rubbish. Even without Taylor the PDC has a much bigger field of quality players and plenty more resources especially in terms of the all important one, prize money, where they shite allover the BDO. They'll continue to hand pick the best players that come through in the BDO. The BDO will never ever be the most successful professional darts organisation again.

I never said anything about the BDO doing anything other than going out of business.

I can't see BDO going out of business. They just signed a new deal with Eurosport to show their world championships in other countries and that will only help matters. They continue to create good players when PDC pulls players out, so that isn't as big a problem as you seem to be making out either.

BDO will never be the biggest, as has been pointed out, but they'll roll along like they have done.

Guest shameless

The BDO needs to do mre tournaments on TV for the guys to make money, or they are all going to "jump ship" to the PDC. Co Stompe said that he came close to making similar money in 6 months in the PDC as the previous few years in the BDO, something has to be done or the BDO will lose all it's players and become the laughing stock that a lot of people thinks it is now.

Would hate to lose the BDO as they have some great former world champion, i.e John Thomas (Jocky) Wilson

The BDO needs to do mre tournaments on TV for the guys to make money, or they are all going to "jump ship" to the PDC. Co Stompe said that he came close to making similar money in 6 months in the PDC as the previous few years in the BDO, something has to be done or the BDO will lose all it's players and become the laughing stock that a lot of people thinks it is now.

BDO CAN'T lose all of their players. It's impossible. There's always new players coming through. Which means there will always be quality players in the BDO. They'll lose a lot of players, and even if every player jumped, more players will come in. That's the way of things and has been for a while.

Fucking sensational from Wade. Those last 6 legs he was hitting everything and it was just great to see the man play the darts we all know he could.

I could feel this in my blood tonight. 5/2 draw no bet.

Well done Wadey.

Taylor and Jenkins 7-7 also.