Dredd

EdgarusQPFC

I was away seeing The Dark Knight Rises at the weekend and they played the trailer for the new Judge Dredd film.

I have to say the film looks really good, some will question my sanity but i rather enjoyed the original Stallone version, mostly for how awful it was. But this one is shaping up to be a properly good Action/Sci fi flick. Karl Urban is playing Dredd this time around, you may know him as Eomer in the last 2 LOTR movies, or as the bad guy in The Bourne Identity 2.

The premise of the two Judges stuck in a tower block full of goons is fantastic, and it looks like its gonna be very well written, apparently there is already plans to make it into a trillogy.

Have to say, after being surprised by the new Total Recall, and now this. Its gonna be a great year for film, cause we already have had The Avengers, Batman and Spiderman this year. If im not mistaken, we also have the new Superman too. We also have the new Expendibles film aswell :lol:

DREDD-Selected-Stills.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite enjoyed the original too, it was ridiculous. There's also a rob Schneider masterclass in it, he really is an awful person.

Oh he is a terrible actor, and his films are generally terrible too. But he was amusing in the original, he played really well off Stallone. His "Mr i-am-the-law!" comment was hillarious :lol:

The Stallone abomination got the "look" of a later-era Mega City One pretty much spot on, but everything else was horribly wrong.

This one looks to be set in an earlier era of MC1 and Dredd appears to be nearer the start of his career. (In the comics he's now in his 70's)

I can't wait for it :D

The premise of the two Judges stuck in a tower block full of goons is fantastic, and it looks like its gonna be very well written, apparently there is already plans to make it into a trillogy.

Have to say, after being surprised by the new Total Recall, and now this. Its gonna be a great year for film, cause we already have had The Avengers, Batman and Spiderman this year. If im not mistaken, we also have the new Superman too. We also have the new Expendibles film aswell :lol:

Others have said, the story seems very similar to The Raid so the premise may well be fantastic but doesn't seem to original. That said, Judge Dredd being involved in any film automatically makes it better or at the very least worth a watch.]

Man of Steel isn't out until next year.

edit: I quite enjoy the original but it's an awful film.

Others have said, the story seems very similar to The Raid so the premise may well be fantastic but doesn't seem to original. That said, Judge Dredd being involved in any film automatically makes it better or at the very least worth a watch.]

Man of Steel isn't out until next year.

edit: I quite enjoy the original but it's an awful film.

This

Others have said, the story seems very similar to The Raid so the premise may well be fantastic but doesn't seem to original.

This

From what I've read, both films were put into production around the same time, so it is a pure coincidence that both have very similar plots.

Stallone bellowing out "I am the law!" In his usual slurred speech is still hillarious to me.

The film is pretty cheesy, but admittedly i do enjoy properly cheesy action films. The bizzare mutant redneck family are pretty laughable aswell.

Watched the stallone one last night on youtube, still pretty entertaining :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The first Dredd film is like a curry stain on your new white shirt, however much you scrub and scratch it's still going to be there.

This new effort looks too much like LA and not enough like mega city 1, that aside I am full of promise. Urban says he is a big Dredd fan and gets the thing with the helmet and suchlike. We shall see.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw it on Friday and really thought i was gonna hate it but you know what it was pretty good

The use of the "slowmo" drug that gave the excuse to use the slow motion 3d was terrific in some of the scenes especially the breaching scene near the start. Having the rookie in place was essential she was human entry point if you will to the film. Seeing everything from her eyes and giving us someone to relate to. Dredd was exactly the character he needed to be completely cold and only interested in upholding the law regardless of what that means.

I thought it was very good but the ending was a bit disappointing, just because of how obvious it was. Probably the first film in 3D I've seen that it actually enhanced the movie and made it better.

Archived