Inside the Commons

Elixir

Pretty interesting documentary this by the BBC. The first of four parts was on this week.

It certainly helped to humanise the whole thing. Both the Labour and Conservative lassies seemed like genuinely good people, unlike the big gun party members who tend to be utter c**ts when we see them on TV etc.

And although it's a stunning building, it's not half archaic and starting to fall to bits.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised by the scale of the place.

Some of the working practices were straight out of Monty Python.

It must cost us an absolute fortune to run and IMO is not fit for purpose.

Build a new reduced fit for purpose UK parliament at Preston and use Westminster for the much needed English Parliament would be the obvious answer.

I visited the Palace of Westminster back in 2011 but didn't get the opportunity to see inside.Is this available anywhere online?

You have to do it via your MP. We went round a couple of years ago, certainly worth doing.

I visited the Palace of Westminster back in 2011 but didn't get the opportunity to see inside. Is this available anywhere online?

If you get a chance to do it. Whether you agree or not with the principles, the place is magnificant. I was lucky enough to go when I was about 15, back in 1985ish as part of my O'level Social Studies.

I can't remember what time of the year it was, so may have been in recess, but we got access to both chambers and managed to get onto the floor. I remember being at the dispatch box, where the PM would stand (Thatcher then). The commons is really quite bland looking, but still the tradition is evident wherever you look. Even to the point of lines being printed on the floor, which was just far enough to seperate the goverment and opposition in enagaing in a sword fight.

The lords was a totally different, lavish to say the least. Also remember going to the queens robing room, although if memory serves me correct was mostly roped off and Westminster Hall as well.

That was 30 years ago, so I am not sure whether you go to all those places now. But it left a large impression on me.

Really enjoyed that first part. Was interesting to view parliament from a different point of view than normal and the two MPs it followed around actually appeared to be quite normal!

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed that whole series, was an interesting perspective. Especially last week when all the MPs were dashing around when the vote on the European Arrest Warrant went oh so wrong.

That was the point though. You are meant to like they two. Forget what you read.

Just because the purpose is to paint the place in a good light it doesn't mean that you stick your fingers in your ears and go 'la la la la'.

It's been a v interesting show.

Pretty interesting documentary this by the BBC. The first of four parts was on this week.

It certainly helped to humanise the whole thing. Both the Labour and Conservative lassies seemed like genuinely good people, unlike the big gun party members who tend to be utter c**ts when we see them on TV etc.

And although it's a stunning building, it's not half archaic and starting to fall to bits.

Every time I've been in the Palace of Westminster (it seems to be the only place I can corner our local MP, and I'm not above using my position to further my members' interests) there's scaffolding and dust sheets all over the place. The actual building is massive, but the actual chambers aren't all that big. Especially with the number of Lords Clegg's managed to get "reduced" in the last five years - as per his manifesto.

Archived