Pregnancy And Parenting

Did anyone else get their wife/girlfriend a present after they gave birth?

I'm struggling for present ideas!

Mine was watching TV and said that the vegetable peeler they were using on Masterchef looked cool.

I got her one as a present (albeit birthday not giving birth) and she went mental.

After that she gets nothing.

Recently, I've been teaching Charlie to read. He's doing fantastically well, I'm very proud to say. We've been using the Oxford Learning Tree Biff, Chip and Kipper series and he's mastered the stage 3 (ages 4-5, approx) already and we're just moving into stage 4. They have a website with some free ebooks for download, some of them from the series we've been using. They can be found here. The series is apparently used in a lot of schools, so the website tells me, so it's worth a look if you've got kids that are getting ready to start reading.

We decided to try with Charlie because he was recognising logos with text in them (Tesco, Asda, Peppa Pig, Ben & Holly and so on) and he knew all the letters of the alphabet and the sound that each one makes. He's taken to it like a duck to water and he reads signs and posters everywhere he goes now.

Edit: they're not for download, my mistake. You can read them online with or without narration.

Edited by Mrs M

Would a Jobcentre or Citizen's Advice Bureau have a TC600 form for claiming tax credits? I see they're unavailable online nowadays and the helpline is an utter joke (hasn't changed since I worked there, it would seem).

That's the wee yin's Child Benefit sorted now, so we're just going to pay that into her ISA.

Does anyone have tips on any good interactive books to help develop speech etc.?

I'm sure you know this already, but the best thing you can do is talk to your child and model 'good' conversation. Sorry don't know about any books.

Edit: sorry for multiple posts - I can't seem to get the multiquote option to work on Safari...

Edited by Reina

I'm sure you know this already, but the best thing you can do is talk to your child and model 'good' conversation. Sorry don't know about any books.

Edit: sorry for multiple posts - I can't seem to get the multiquote option to work on Safari...

One of the best pieces of advice we got, pre pregnancy was not to use baby talk with the kids - like calling a cow a cow, rather than a moo-moo etc

Both of ours have always had really good speech for their age, in terms of vocabulary.

One of the best pieces of advice we got, pre pregnancy was not to use baby talk with the kids - like calling a cow a cow, rather than a moo-moo etc

Both of ours have always had really good speech for their age, in terms of vocabulary.

This. Absolutely this. I hate people talking to my kids in this way and I will politely correct it when it happens, for example if I hear 'Ooh, Charlie, it's a doggie', is met with 'yes, Charlie. Look at the dog', with a slight emphasis on dog. Moo-cow, choo-choo, bot-bot, they can all gtf.

Jesus, you not got a telly or something?

Congrats!

laugh.gif

They are evenly spaced so it's not as hectic as it sounds, i've got boy's of 16 and 7, and girls of nearly 15, 9 and 1,

This is the last though, maybe unsure.gif

smile.gif

Edited by 1888bhoy67

Does anyone have tips on any good interactive books to help develop speech etc.?

I was watching a show last week with Jo Frost (Supernanny), and they took a large group of kids, gave half of them a book for their parents to read to them and the other half a book with a CD. The kids learnt more words from listening to their parents reading than the CD. Sitting down and reading with them will give them quality time as well as learning more words.