Pregnancy And Parenting

This. Absolutely this. I hate people talking to my kids in this way and I will politely correct it when it happens, for example if I hear 'Ooh, Charlie, it's a doggie', is met with 'yes, Charlie. Look at the dog', with a slight emphasis on dog. Moo-cow, choo-choo, bot-bot, they can all gtf.

All of mine have been brought up on 'baby-talk' and none of them have ever had any speech issues,

it's all relative, so long as your using it at the 'right' stage then i dont see a problem with it, they are kids after all and i personally dont want them growing up too soon.

All of mine have been brought up on 'baby-talk' and none of them have ever had any speech issues,

it's all relative, so long as your using it at the 'right' stage then i dont see a problem with it, they are kids after all and i personally dont want them growing up too soon.

That's fine if it works for you, but it makes me cringe hearing people speak to children in that way. I don't see the sense in teaching them to speak one way and then a few years down the line teaching them all over again because it's considered the 'baby' way of speaking. I'm of the opinion that my children are not idiots and I will not speak to them as if they are.

I talk normally to my two as well. Niamh is more vocal than Ruairidh was at this stage. She rambles on all day long. She'll chat away and then take a fit of giggles at something she's said. She finds herself very entertaining. Ruairidh has been a slow speaker and it's bit for the lack of talking and reading to him. Nursery and I decided couple weeks ago to do a speech therapy referral. Needless to say since then he's become more talkative!!

People are full of good advice for raising kids.

The fact is, if you have a brain in your head you will be able to give your kids a good grounding and when they get to a certain age their own will power will come in to play when faced with opportunities both good and bad.

The fact is, if you have a brain in your head you will be able to give your kids a good grounding and when they get to a certain age their own will power will come in to play when faced with opportunities both good and bad.

This is, of course, absolutely true. You could teach your child whatever you want to teach them, but they make their own minds up in the end. Harry's 11 months and can say 'ta' when I hand him something (this is my one concession: I'd rather teach him to say thank you later on when he can and have him have a basic grasp of manners now), but as soon as he gets to school, I'm sure that'll change. They start speaking like the other kids do, and in my experience, please and thank you seem to be the first thing to slide a little.

Good post tbh.

Edited by 1888bhoy67

Well some of you may have guessed from a not-so-subtle post I made last week, but I didn't want to say anything until I'd had a proper scan... Delighted to tell you that following a miscarriage in May, we're expecting baby number 2 and I'm due on 8th of March. Same day as Rowan... So place your bets on who will go first ;)

Which is the worst trimester for a father to be? Just so I can move out for a while.

Oh, they're all pretty bad. Suck it up.

Seriously, I reckon the last one is the worst.

Congratulations, Reina! I had no sickness with mine, but the nausea. Oh, the nausea! It just got worse with each one. As much as I still get broody from time to time, I'm glad it's not me ;)

Apparently... But I'm a bit further on than that and have been sick the last couple of days.

Congratulations x

Not that it will make you feel any better but I was sick until well into my 22nd week :(

Well some of you may have guessed from a not-so-subtle post I made last week, but I didn't want to say anything until I'd had a proper scan... Delighted to tell you that following a miscarriage in May, we're expecting baby number 2 and I'm due on 8th of March. Same day as Rowan... So place your bets on who will go first ;)

Congrats reina

Congrats Debs, that's great news! Being married to a pregnant woman isn't the easiest job in the world, but just remember why they're short with you and annoyed at lots of things. That's what got me through it all.

This. Absolutely this. I hate people talking to my kids in this way and I will politely correct it when it happens, for example if I hear 'Ooh, Charlie, it's a doggie', is met with 'yes, Charlie. Look at the dog', with a slight emphasis on dog. Moo-cow, choo-choo, bot-bot, they can all gtf.

I'd tend to agree generally and we tend to use normal language for things too but I don't see the harm in the occasional baby expression (Thomas likes to talk about Moo-cows) and I don't have any problem at all with the word "doggy" which is a perfectly acceptable English word.

Brilliant news Reina. Been there and bought that t-shirt several times over. Good luck. :D