The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Adding Sting to Vinces machine would have done huge business. He claims not to have signed because he feared how he would have been used. I actually reckon he would have been made to look shit hot instead of being squashed and buried like many others and I kinda think his reason for not signing is pretty stupid.

You obviously have no idea about Vince McMahon's brain then.

When has he ever brought in someone he didn't create and pushed them like he should have?

He buried Bill Goldberg for f**k sake!

Every single big name from WCW came over and was buried instantly. Nobody from WCW can be on the same level as his WWF superstars in his mind. The history books don't lie. All the top WCW guys got buried immediately no matter how much money Vince paid to get them.

You obviously have no idea about Vince McMahon's brain then.

When has he ever brought in someone he didn't create and pushed them like he should have?

He buried Bill Goldberg for f**k sake!

Every single big name from WCW came over and was buried instantly. Nobody from WCW can be on the same level as his WWF superstars in his mind. The history books don't lie. All the top WCW guys got buried immediately no matter how much money Vince paid to get them.

Ric Flair?

Ric Flair?

"Stunning" Steve Austin ? Cactus Jack ? "Mean" Mark ? Sid Vicious ?

Lets face it, Vinny Mac didn't care where he got his guys back in the day. If he brought in Sting, he would have made him look amazing. Maybe in the early 2000s, Sting might have gotten a raw deal, but the names I mentioned only scratches the surface of the people who jumped ship.

"Stunning" Steve Austin ? Cactus Jack ? "Mean" Mark ? Sid Vicious ?

Lets face it, Vinny Mac didn't care where he got his guys back in the day. If he brought in Sting, he would have made him look amazing. Maybe in the early 2000s, Sting might have gotten a raw deal, but the names I mentioned only scratches the surface of the people who jumped ship.

Austin was buried coming in. Ringmaster anyone?

Cactus Jack was brought in under a new gimmick with the idea of being fed to the Undertaker. Plans changed when he got himself over. He wasn't from WCW anyway. He'd been out of there for a year or so already. Mean Mark was nothing in WCW. Vince gave him a gimmick and it turned out to be the best one ever. How many big shows did Sid Vicious main event in his first WWF run? Exactly.

And as for Ric Flair, he didn't even get the run with Hulk Hogan when he was coming in as the WCW champion who never lost the belt. They buried him on the house show run and then had to change the Wrestlemania 9 main event because Hogan vs. Flair on the road was finished and wasn't selling anymore. He didn't make it onto Summerslam that year either and he was willingly released from his contract which shows how much Vince McMahon valued him. Especially since he just fired Davey Boy Smith and the Ultimate Warrior and wasn't looking to lose people. And on his second run, he got buried after a few months of the brand split. This was after they already pissed away the WCW Invasion too.

No top guys from WCW ever got a good run when they came into the WWE without being humbled first.

Austin was buried coming in. Ringmaster anyone?

Buried ? He was stuck with a crap gimmick, but he was undefeated, looked MAGNIFICENT in the Royal Rumble, and was "Stone Cold" before he even lost a match.

WWE seen star potential in Austin.

New gimmick or not, WWE put Mankind over in absolutely amazing fashion, having him beat The Undertaker completely clean.

How many big shows did Sid Vicious main event in his first WWF run? Exactly.

He main evented Wrestlemania VIII against one of the biggest stars in wrestling history, and WAS due to go over, but Hogan kicked out when he wasn't supposed to, which led to the weird DQ ending that made no sense. Sid was going to be a superb addition to WWE.

Of course, he went BACK to WCW, and went back to WWE and became a star yet again. Why ? Because WWE cared about making money more than they cared about burying the opposition which, in the form of WCW, wasn't much.

And as for Ric Flair, he didn't even get the run with Hulk Hogan when he was coming in as the WCW champion who never lost the belt. They buried him on the house show run and then had to change the Wrestlemania 9 main event because Hogan vs. Flair on the road was finished and wasn't selling anymore. He didn't make it onto Summerslam that year either and he was willingly released from his contract which shows how much Vince McMahon valued him.

Are we conviniently forgetting that Ric Flair was a multiple time world champion in a short period of time, was put over 29 other men in the Royal Rumble in 1992 and was one part of the double main event at Wrestlemania that year too ? Ric Flair didn't make it onto Summerslam because there wasn't really a place for such a huge star on a show which already had two main events. What was he going to do exactly ?

Especially since he just fired Davey Boy Smith and the Ultimate Warrior and wasn't looking to lose people. And on his second run, he got buried after a few months of the brand split. This was after they already pissed away the WCW Invasion too.

An old Ric Flair being buried. No surprise. He was still treated with respect untill Evolution when he became HHH's lapdog. On the advice of Ric Flair I might add.

Big Van Vader was put over big on his WWE run when he initially jumped ship.

WWE only started caring about WCW when they actually became competition. Which wasn't the early days. WCW were doing well, but at the time, they weren't really interested in competing with WWE. They wanted to take over, but they were more interested in doing their own thing.

You also have Razor Ramon, Diesel and Ricky Steamboat, who all got decent shots in WWE. Ricky Steamboat was lined up for even more before his jump back over to the NWA seeing as he was PROMISED the big prize, which WWE couldn't promise due to Hogan's weird politics.

You can also put a lot of Ric Flair's bad luck down to that as well.

An old Ric Flair being buried. No surprise. He was still treated with respect untill Evolution when he became HHH's lapdog. On the advice of Ric Flair I might add.

Was there ever a match with HHH vs Flair after Evolution and/or which led to the break up of Evolution? Where Flair stopped being the "lapdog" and became "the man" once again?

How good was the Evolution theme tune.

Was there ever a match with HHH vs Flair after Evolution and/or which led to the break up of Evolution? Where Flair stopped being the "lapdog" and became "the man" once again?

They had a match at Taboo Tuesday 2005 in a Steel Cage for the IC Title. That was a few months after the break up of Evolution (which happened pretty much as soon as Batista decided to wrestle HHH for the title at Wrestlemania that year).

It's Davey Richards vs. Rob Van Dam at 1PW.

Can't believe they're wasting the best wrestler not snapped up by WWE on RVD. I was gutted I was gonna miss Davey, but now I'm glad I'm not going.

It must be a triple threat then :D Because Davey Richards is not the best non-WWE wrestler.

They had a match at Taboo Tuesday 2005 in a Steel Cage for the IC Title. That was a few months after the break up of Evolution (which happened pretty much as soon as Batista decided to wrestle HHH for the title at Wrestlemania that year).

Sure that wasn't Randy Orton? ... sorry I stopped watching pretty much the day after Wrestlemania XX.

Sure that wasn't Randy Orton? ... sorry I stopped watching pretty much the day after Wrestlemania XX.

He had one vs Orton in 04 when Orton got kicked out of Evolution. The one vs HHH was 05 just after they fell out.

Edited by Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth

I don't think it can be denied that the majority of WCW talent were treated like shit in WWE when they came over. Even the most successful one of them all, Booker T, had a period where he was in some poor angles and made to look crap. Although his comedy stuff with Goldust was tremendous.

And if Sting ever did go to WWE back in the day, surely the best opponent for him would have been the Undertaker? Icon vs Icon? Their characters seem very compatable. And their in ring abilities would have went very together I think.

A great match that was as well, and made Ric Flair look like a million bucks. They also had a Last Man Standing match at Survivor Series a month later which was also a belter.

It must be a triple threat then :D Because Davey Richards is not the best non-WWE wrestler

I'd say in the U.S./Canada, he is, but you're kinda right I suppose. Mistico, KENTA and Shuji Kondo are better.

I don't think it can be denied that the majority of WCW talent were treated like shit in WWE when they came over. Even the most successful one of them all, Booker T, had a period where he was in some poor angles and made to look crap. Although his comedy stuff with Goldust was tremendous.

I'd agree that after the Invasion, they were all made to look like crap, but bringing up Goldberg always seemed like an odd one to me.

Goldberg was booked as unstoppable when he first joined WWE, and it was HHH playing politics which ended up stopping him becoming bigger than he was. Had nothing to do with being ex-WCW.

See if Bill Goldberg had won the belt in the chamber match at Summerslam that would have been him set, honestly. Was not a person in the place that didn't want to see it. He would have been an absoloute superstar after it. But as it happened HHH retained and by the time Goldberg won at Unforgiven nobody gave a f**k.