The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Aye, because Umaga, The Great Khali and JBL can't be added to the list of guys to have their best match with Cena.

John Cena is the most consistant main event performer in WWE at the moment.

Has Cena upped his game since I stopped watching ??

Agreed though, love Heenan's commentating here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwr1dTrLbY0

Cena doesn't HAVE to up his game. The guy has been pretty great ever since he stepped onto the main event scene. His fued with Umaga should have seen the Samoan become a main eventer thanks to how awesome Cena made him look. His fued with Edge helped Edge to become a main eventer too. He certainly wouldn't be the success he became if it weren't for Cena.

His fued with Jericho before he left was brilliant too, culminating in two terrific matches. One at Summerslam and one on RAW where Jericho left. The only real disappointments in the Cena arsenal were the Wrestlemania 23 match with Shawn Michaels and the entire late 2005 fued with Kurt Angle. He had better matches with Angle when he was a heel and also in 2004 when he was on the road to becoming the US Champ.

I honestly don't get the hate for the wrestling side of Cena.

Is anyone else REALLY excited about Drew McIntyre vs. John Morrison on Sunday night ?

I've not been this excited since Wrestlemania. A chance for Drew to win a title in WWE is enough to make me want to stay up and watch live rather than watch later.

It helps that the card for the show is decent. Christian vs. Shelton in a Ladder Match ? Yes please.

Is anyone else REALLY excited about Drew McIntyre vs. John Morrison on Sunday night ?

I've not been this excited since Wrestlemania. A chance for Drew to win a title in WWE is enough to make me want to stay up and watch live rather than watch later.

It helps that the card for the show is decent. Christian vs. Shelton in a Ladder Match ? Yes please.

That's the main reason for me buying the PPV. Cracking match in prospect between those two.

McIntyre and Morrison are both good workers, but they are both very bland characters in my opinion, Morrison was so much better as a heel and I fear that in a few months he might sink to the level of MVP or Swagger if the writers don't come up with better stuff for him - the Mr Ziggles stuff was cringeworthy.

Although I've spotted that Morrison has a DVD boxset coming out soon so that may suggest that he still has a bright future.

On a side note I can't beleive Morrison is getting a DVD set before somebody like Jericho, they could probably fill 10 discs with Y2J's best stuff!

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

Since discussions have already begun about TLC i'll make my predictions (winners in bold),

John Cena © vs Sheamus

- They have tried to make Sheamus look strong in this mini fued however are we really meant to believe that a guy who kicked a commentator and ended a jobber's career will threaten Cena? Nah don't think so, Cena will retain no problem.

Undertaker © vs Batista

- This is probably the least interesting match on the card. These two do have history however with the Undertaker not 100% fit the match won't be anywhere as good as the others and with Batista receiving a big heel push, i reckon the animal will win the gold.

Christian © vs Shelton Benjamin

- I can't wait to see this match, it's going to be great. Both are excellent in ladder matches, also it was amazing how Shelton managed to balance himself on that broken ladder on ECW. Shelton deserves to be champion while Christian deserves to be elevated onto a bigger show, great time for Christian to drop the gold as he won't look weak as he can't get pinned.

Jerishow © vs DX :angry:

- The theme of this fued is that DX have never won the tag titles and guess what will happen, they will...watch the glowstick party begin. <_<

Randy Orton vs Kofi Kingston

- This is the second match i'm most looking forward to. The rivarly between the two has been excellently done although i reckon Orton will get the win since Kofi has had the beating of him over the last few weeks. Nevertheless Orton has made a star out of Kofi who is one of the most over guys in the WWE right now.

John Morrison © vs Drew McIntyre

- In a close match Morrison will retain.

What does everyone else think?

Cena doesn't HAVE to up his game. The guy has been pretty great ever since he stepped onto the main event scene. His fued with Umaga should have seen the Samoan become a main eventer thanks to how awesome Cena made him look. His fued with Edge helped Edge to become a main eventer too. He certainly wouldn't be the success he became if it weren't for Cena.

His fued with Jericho before he left was brilliant too, culminating in two terrific matches. One at Summerslam and one on RAW where Jericho left. The only real disappointments in the Cena arsenal were the Wrestlemania 23 match with Shawn Michaels and the entire late 2005 fued with Kurt Angle. He had better matches with Angle when he was a heel and also in 2004 when he was on the road to becoming the US Champ.

I honestly don't get the hate for the wrestling side of Cena.

Mostly his matches are awesome.........it's his shitty gimmicks that annoy me.

Mostly his matches are awesome.........it's his shitty gimmicks that annoy me.

Yeah, his gimmick is pretty much gutter shit.

McIntyre and Morrison are both good workers, but they are both very bland characters in my opinion, Morrison was so much better as a heel and I fear that in a few months he might sink to the level of MVP or Swagger if the writers don't come up with better stuff for him - the Mr Ziggles stuff was cringeworthy.

I'm worried about JoMo as well. You're right about him being better as a heel, and with a character like that, does he even WORK as a babyface ?

I also agree with McIntyre being bland, but I'm not finding myself caring ! He was a favourite when he was in BCW and PBW and to see him going for WWE gold is incredible. I'm really excited as a result.

How guid was Jericho's first appearance on Raw back in the day? Just watched it on youtube there and the crowd reaction is something else.

It was amazing. I loved the pop when "JERICHO" came up on the titantron. The best bit was that he was basically the WCW Jericho when he first joined too.

Oh, back to TLC ... does anyone know what a chair match is ?

I used to absolutely love wrestling, so I did.

The Rock, The Hardy Boys, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Kane, Gideon ( :P )...

No Mercy on the N64 remains one of my favourite games ever, and I can still remember losing all my saved data due to having one of about 15,000 or so corrupt carts they released. <_<

No Mercy on the N64 remains one of my favourite games ever, and I can still remember losing all my saved data due to having one of about 15,000 or so corrupt carts they released. <_<

Yeah, I had a wrecked version of that as well. It didn't make playing it a pleasant experience. It's a shame because it was probably the best wrestling game ever released.

Me and my wee cousin used to have amazing matches on it. One thing I remember really well was when D-Von ran down to help me and we gave him 3D. :D

No Mercy was an astounding game, It is hard to beleive that it's now more than 9 years since it came out and not a single wrestling game since has come close to being as good as it. That's like if FIFA 2001 had ended up being the peak of football games!

My other favourite wrestling game of all time is WCW vs NWO Revenge which was made by the same people a couple of years before No Mercy.

My other favourite wrestling game of all time is WCW vs NWO Revenge which was made by the same people a couple of years before No Mercy.

That was brilliant. I especially liked Raven's DDT in it. It looked brutal. Also like throwing Sting through the Nitro aisle and then him running back out with a baseball bat.

They showed some real signs of promise with their first WCW game. Wasn't anywhere near as good as what they'd do in the future, but still better than every single non-N64 wrestling game that's out there.

WM 2000 on N64 remains the best ever wrestling game for me, must have spent hours trying to unlock the rumoured inferno match to no avail :(

Apparently there was a very similar New Japan version but it wasn't playable on UK machines.

The NJPW versions are still going, and apparently have an incredible game engine which makes the matches really realistic.

I hated that Inferno Match hint in the intro. :lol: I too had a good go at getting it opened.

Yeah, I had a wrecked version of that as well. It didn't make playing it a pleasant experience. It's a shame because it was probably the best wrestling game ever released.

Me and my wee cousin used to have amazing matches on it. One thing I remember really well was when D-Von ran down to help me and we gave him 3D. :D

:D

I remember it had an amazing roster, too, with a shitload of unlockable characters, moves and so on... which made losing my save game so irritating at the time. :(

Can't remember what it was called, but the 1 man royal rumble where you had to beat as many opponents as you could was class. Think I got to around 60 or so, which was immense for me at the time, but eventually some bald-headed, anonymous wrestler came in who was basically the default character model, which was a sign that the memory had been wiped.

Also, I remember passing around at school that you could use the editor to remove Kane's mask to see his real face. We all knew it was basically a poorly digitised one which didnt really mean anything, but it was pretty cool at the time. :)

The story mode was amazing at the time, too, for all the different belts. Only linear paths, but you had the odd choice to make and there were some matches you could actually lose, but it affected the story path a bit.

Quite slow paced, especially when I tried playing it after getting Smackdown! for the playstation as well, but it was brilliant all the same.

Highlights were the occasional random intervention of somebody for one side or the other, and going backstage for the first time in any wrestling game I'd played. Brilliant.

I used to absolutely love wrestling, so I did.

The Rock, The Hardy Boys, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Kane, Gideon ( :P )...

The best video game of all time....by far.