The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I loved the promos hyping up Foley and Edge .V. Dreamer and Funk. That WWE .V. ECW show was probably the pinnacle. Foley sitting in the ring with the lights all dimmed, Edge showing the Foley anti-hardcore promo from 1996. Brilliant stuff.

Then, at ONS2, Foley teased a continuation of it by setting himself up as though he was about to talk about Paul Heyman("a visionary, a creative genius")... then asked the fans to give it up for Stephanie McMahon and the Alliance. :lol:

"Long live the alliance !" :lol:

Right people, here is a question that should get some discussion going. What is people's favourite non WWE match ever ?

I'd have to go for the Wargames match from WCW Wrestlewar 1992. Sting's Squadron vs. The Dangerous Alliance. Just an amazingly booked match from start to finish, LOADS of blood and violence and a cracking ending.

Right people, here is a question that should get some discussion going. What is people's favourite non WWE match ever ?

I'd have to go for the Wargames match from WCW Wrestlewar 1992. Sting's Squadron vs. The Dangerous Alliance. Just an amazingly booked match from start to finish, LOADS of blood and violence and a cracking ending.

Anything with the Rock 'n' Roll Express always gets the thumbs up from me, especially their battles with the Midnight Express.

If it were a particular match I'd have to go for though then it'd have to be Sting vs Hogan from Starrcade '97.

Look for the Rock N Roll Express match with the Russian blokes on the Allied Powers DVD set. Honestly the best tag team match I have ever seen.

I thought Sting vs. Hogan was an absolute shambles to be honest. Sting should have completely walked the match. The build up was insanely good, but the actual match was just a show of how pathetic Hogan can be.

Since I'm not old enough to have watched WCW or ECW, and remember it, I find my pool of selection a bit limited. Some good matches are:

Sandman vs Tommy Dreamer in a Singapore Cane match. The ending to that was pretty good.

Terry Funk vs Big Stevie Cool vs Shane Douglas with the winner going on to face Raven for the title. I think it might've been Barely Legal '97.

Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis in a Texas/Mexican death match. They had a few great matches. One finishing in the parking lot.

Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis in a Texas/Mexican death match. They had a few great matches. One finishing in the parking lot.

Must have been the Mexican Death Match as I haven't seen that one yet. Although I do remember a match Rey had with Juvvy that seen Rey land a powerbomb on a car outside. Good times. They also had a match the night before that which looked amazing but only highlights are out there.

That singapore cane match is stunning. Just pure, pure drama.

The match you're talking about IS Barely Legal 1997. That show also has a six man tag which is well worth checking out which includes WWE alumni like TAKA Michinoku, The Great Sasuke and Dick Togo.

I think it was the second match that Rob Van Dam and Jerry Lynn had for the ECW TV Title. It went the 20 minute time limit and the crowd and Lynn demanded 5 more minutes. The whole series of matches between the two were ace but that one stands out for me.

I'd agree that's the best of the series. All of the other ECW matches are about the same I'd reckon apart from the one that was on the last ever ECW PPV. That match was fucking shit. The Living Dangerously match was the first one where they really broke out the big stuff and the innovation both guys showed was unreal. The fact that the match went to a 20 minute time limit made Jerry Lynn look great, and it'd have been better if they kept that result the same. They really didn't need to have the extra five minutes.

I have loads. Of course there is the inevitable Rey/Eddie match at Halloween Havoc. Then there is Benoit/Sullivan, No Holds Barred from the Great American Bash. My favourite ever ECW match is a bit of a weird one and I'm a bit vague about, it was only like a 6/7 minute match but it blew my fucking mind, but I actually have no idea what show it's from, around '96 i think, but here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYr5T3D6HH8

The Eliminators truly are one of my favourite tag teams of all time.

I'd agree that's the best of the series. All of the other ECW matches are about the same I'd reckon apart from the one that was on the last ever ECW PPV. That match was fucking shit. The Living Dangerously match was the first one where they really broke out the big stuff and the innovation both guys showed was unreal. The fact that the match went to a 20 minute time limit made Jerry Lynn look great, and it'd have been better if they kept that result the same. They really didn't need to have the extra five minutes.

The referee raised Jerry Lynn's arm at the end of the 20 minutes. I think they had the extra 5 minutes because they wanted to keep Van Dam's long title reign going.

It's a loss to the business that Paul E. isn't booking anywhere at the moment.

I'm glad to see there are a few fellow "marks" on this forum, your Lanny Poffo avatar is cool. I prefer his brother though DIGGIT?

The referee raised Jerry Lynn's arm at the end of the 20 minutes. I think they had the extra 5 minutes because they wanted to keep Van Dam's long title reign going.

It's a loss to the business that Paul E. isn't booking anywhere at the moment.

I'm glad to see there are a few fellow "marks" on this forum, your Lanny Poffo avatar is cool. I prefer his brother though DIGGIT?

Not for long.

Please elaborate.

He's in talks with TNA to come in and take complete creative control of the company....a similar position to the one Dana White has in UFC. Some people withi the company are confident of Heyman coming in. Apparentyl Tna have also agreed to give him everything he has asked for so far.

He's in talks with TNA to come in and take complete creative control of the company....a similar position to the one Dana White has in UFC. Some people withi the company are confident of Heyman coming in. Apparentyl Tna have also agreed to give him everything he has asked for so far.

I hope that happens. His time as head booker on Smack Down about 5 years was the last time WWE was any good in my opinion.

I would love to see Paul E. bring some Japanese talent to TNA like he did with Yoshihiro Tajir and Masato Tanaka back in the day.

I hope that happens. His time as head booker on Smack Down about 5 years was the last time WWE was any good in my opinion.

I would love to see Paul E. bring some Japanese talent to TNA like he did with Yoshihiro Tajir and Masato Tanaka back in the day.

Aye Tanaka was a beast. I read TNA were already looking at a few Japanese guys they want to bring in.

My favourite non-WWE match would have to be Taz .V. Mike Awesome .V. Tanaka from ECW Anarchy Rulz 1999. Just summed up what was great about ECW... total 'anything can happen' feel with Awesome showing up for the first time in a year, intense shoot-style promo between Taz and Paul Heyman, Taz being eliminated after about a minute, a crazy match from there on in between the old time foes Awesome and Tanaka, and a 'passing of the torch' moment at the end of it all.

The first Punk/Joe match from ROH is another favourite.

As for the Dreamer/TNA thing, Meltzer is saying that Dreamer is not booking, though he's giving ideas.. apparently some guy called Matt Conway has more power than before now; can't say that I've heard of him.

theres no one better on a mic than flair, awesome!

Kaz and Styles vs 2 mystery opponents

It should be a good one and at last another PPV on the road, I'm looking forward to it, hopefully Hogan will stay in the back and shut up and not get involved in matches

I'm in that video, just below the guy with the Rangers top. I think the mystery opponents will be Rhyno and Stevie Richards. I'd like to see Hogan in person for the first time so I wouldn't mind seeing Hogan at one point in the PPV.

If it were a particular match I'd have to go for though then it'd have to be Sting vs Hogan from Starrcade '97.

It is easily the most anticipated match in history and it always will be. Undertaker vs Michaels, Hogan vs Rock, Austin vs Rock..you name it, nothing will ever come close to the anticipation that surrounded that match. The match itself however is a different story.

I thought Sting vs. Hogan was an absolute shambles to be honest. Sting should have completely walked the match. The build up was insanely good, but the actual match was just a show of how pathetic Hogan can be.

Spot on. Hogan dominated the whole match, took all the momentum that had been building for over a year and it was gone within 5 minutes. Hogan can never be forgiven for that match.