The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

They have a team of approximately 30 writers for each show (Raw and Smackdown).

The writing is utterly pathetic. 

Wrestling is so much better and organic when the decision is being made by 2 or 3. 

I know Vince ultimately has overall control and probably makes the writing staff's life a misery but I can't think of anyone being positive about WWE's writing teams over the years. They can't even write a basic script and have it sound organic for when the wrestlers need to cut a promo as was proven by just how much better they were when they got to cut free during the rain delay at Mania.

Sounds like dirtsheet pish to me, the sort of vaguely sourced, lack of detail report that they love.

On the writing team, I think it'd be fascinating to watch a week in their life.  I'd love to know how they structure writing, say, RAW with such a large team.  Do they all get a section of the show in smaller groups?  Do they all just rabble it up together?  I just can't imagine how it would work, like writing a novel by committee for a boss that might end up ripping up the pages you've just written anyway.

Edited by forameus

I would love, love someone to ask Dunn what his obsession with camera cuts is. I’m sure he’d wheel out something like “Marvel do it” but completely miss the point of how/why. 

When Vince goes, I wonder what Dunn's role will be.

I wonder if his grip on the WWE will strengthen. Lots of people say that Triple H isn't his biggest fan, but I can easily see Vince divvying the business up amongst multiple people rather than just handing Triple H the reigns likes people just seem to assume.

It wasn't that long ago that Vince essentially demoted Triple H.

4 hours ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

Billie Kay was shite, don’t understand the fuss on her being released, she couldn’t wrestle.

In a company where the actual wrestling is diluted, it's hard to really give that assessment... 

8 hours ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

Billie Kay was shite, don’t understand the fuss on her being released, she couldn’t wrestle.

She was probably one of the worst workers in the company, however her personality was about a billion times more than the likes of Tamina, Natalya, Mandy Rose, Dana Brooke, Lana etc, and she had fans. There was clearly value to be had in her and another promotion will make use of it, WWE no longer could. 

On 17/04/2021 at 17:05, Ludo*1 said:

When Vince goes, I wonder what Dunn's role will be.

I wonder if his grip on the WWE will strengthen. Lots of people say that Triple H isn't his biggest fan, but I can easily see Vince divvying the business up amongst multiple people rather than just handing Triple H the reigns likes people just seem to assume.

It wasn't that long ago that Vince essentially demoted Triple H.

Dunn's a fucking idiot. His direction of the show genuinely makes me nauseous with the camera cuts and quick zooms to create the illusion of high impact every time there's a move. 

Compare it to the direction of NXT and NXT UK and it's hard to believe they are the same company. 

While the women's roster is probably as good as it's ever been, it still requires a lot more depth than it currently has. Both in terms of in-ring talent/work-rate and people who are over with the fans. In that sense, it's madness to be releasing Chelsea Green, Mickie James and Billie and Peyton. Mickie James isn't somebody you could build the division around anymore but she's still a credible wrestler and somebody you could book in any situation be it a title match, a tag team or a secondary and/or comedy storyline. While AEW's women's division is getting better, they still require experienced workers and she'd be a great get as a wrestler, coach and producer in that regard. Could see her going there and/or Impact and NWA. I assume they see Chelsea Green as unreliable due to all of her injuries but she could have been a star in that company. Good wrestler, looks great and has the promo and character work down as well. Again AEW should be making a play for her. Neither Billie or Peyton were great in-ring workers but man they were brilliant together. Billie Kay's comedic timing and delivery in particular is probably unmatched in WWE. They have a ceiling (and there's nothing wrong with that) but they were both genuinely over, and would have made a difference to a division that's crying out for actual tag teams. 

As much as I love him Samoa Joe was never going to be WWE champion or have a truly prominent position but, again, it's mental not having anything for a guy as talented as him to do. Even if it's just on commentary. I can see him going on a farewell tour of any and every company he wants to work for and what a lot of fun that will be. Kalisto should do fairly well in Mexico and on the indys. Not sure how Mojo or Tucker will fare TBH although Tucker seems to be having a whale of a time since getting released so fair fucks to him. 

Kalisto will be a HUGE hit on the indys. He was getting there before he signed and will probably just pick up where he left off in that regard. He'll stand out even more now too, given the way the indys are at the moment. He'll look like an all timer.

On 18/04/2021 at 19:54, bernardblack said:

I need to see this 

It’s a good watch. It’s for more casual viewers so you probably won’t learn much new, but it’s a very well put together retrospective of most of his career. You can catch it on Watchwrestling . LA 

Roddy Piper next week too!

Guest bernardblack
1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

It’s a good watch. It’s for more casual viewers so you probably won’t learn much new, but it’s a very well put together retrospective of most of his career. You can catch it on Watchwrestling . LA 

Roddy Piper next week too!

You sir, are my hero