Livingston - all the threads merged

18 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I'd also get Brandon starting at RB

He was lively when he came on. It won't be a huge surprise if he now starts on Tuesday.

Went to the Livingston B v Dundee Utd B 3rd / 4th place match at Broxburn today.

A couple of decent showings from both teams I thought but for you guys a young midfielder called Sammy and also the goalkeeper who came on at halftime and saved a penalty.

Decent game won by Dundee Utd 2-1.

Edited by BukyOHare

8 hours ago, Fife Livi said:

transfermarkt have him listed as 1.79m (5ft 9 ish!)

If that is the case "Wee Davie" has to be at least 6ft 5!!

You sure it wasn't £1.79 million?

Lost faith with Transfermarkt ever since they listed Stephane Omeonga as 5' 10"

Shinnie in for Sangare and Parkes replacing Boyes is warranted, both had poor games against Accies, Shamal in for Hamilton is just a rotation prob, didn't think Hamilton could do much for the goal and he made a good save to keep it to 1 goal. Stephen Kelly still on the bench is disappointing though.

image.png.3471033b8fbac9956829b83f574bef47.png

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

6 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Shinnie in for Sangare and Parkes replacing Boyes is warranted, both had poor games against Accies, Shamal in for Hamilton is just a rotation prob, didn't think Hamilton could do much for the goal and he made a good save to keep it to 1 goal. Stephen Kelly still on the bench is disappointing though.

image.png.3471033b8fbac9956829b83f574bef47.png

I think it's a case of trying to keep Kelly fit for the league games where he'll be more important 

4 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I think it's a case of trying to keep Kelly fit for the league games where he'll be more important 

Lose this game and we're out the cup, which would cost us a fair whack. Still playing Montano as RWB too. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

Strange Bahamboula isn't even featuring in the squad

This is a minor worry, aye. A worry because if he's no longer in Martindale's thinking then that creates the added hassle of another player to try and move on. No public talk to that end so far, though, so presumably he's either injured or just losing out due to squad competition. His obvious role in the 3-4-2-1 would be in the 2 and that's the strongest area of the side. He did play right wing back a couple of times last season so that's possibly another route for him into the team at some point.

First half was still a bit slow but once we got going in the second half it was much better, passing was a lot slicker and we had a good bit more urgency. Thought Shinnie was excellent and Ayo, despite the usual brain fart or two, made a couple of very good tackles just as Cove were about to score. Good to see him and Parkes on the scoresheet too. Don't think it surprised anyone to see Kelly strolling it when he came on, two lovely goals which were worth the drive up.

Not getting carried away though as its only Cove, and compared the other League 1 teams we've played (albeit 2 were friendlies) I thought they were very poor in comparison.

Actually felt a bit sorry for Guthrie, thought he was finally going to get his goal but I think he's trying too hard for it - there was a point where he took a nice touch to set himself up for a half volley, turned and rattled it out the stadium. Maybe being too kind to him but I'm happy to put it down to him overthinking it and being desperate for the goal that he just tried to thump it. In addition to that he had a header cleared off the line. Obviously take the opposition into account, but hopefully him looking less useless than usual these last 2 games could get a bit of interest in him, or better yet he grabs a goal against Clyde and the confidence has him finding some excellent form.

20 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

First half was still a bit slow but once we got going in the second half it was much better, passing was a lot slicker and we had a good bit more urgency. Thought Shinnie was excellent and Ayo, despite the usual brain fart or two, made a couple of very good tackles just as Cove were about to score. Good to see him and Parkes on the scoresheet too. Don't think it surprised anyone to see Kelly strolling it when he came on, two lovely goals which were worth the drive up.

Not getting carried away though as its only Cove, and compared the other League 1 teams we've played (albeit 2 were friendlies) I thought they were very poor in comparison.

Actually felt a bit sorry for Guthrie, thought he was finally going to get his goal but I think he's trying too hard for it - there was a point where he took a nice touch to set himself up for a half volley, turned and rattled it out the stadium. Maybe being too kind to him but I'm happy to put it down to him overthinking it and being desperate for the goal that he just tried to thump it. In addition to that he had a header cleared off the line. Obviously take the opposition into account, but hopefully him looking less useless than usual these last 2 games could get a bit of interest in him, or better yet he grabs a goal against Clyde and the confidence has him finding some excellent form.

Then comes on and scores the winner against Aberdeen in the league opener. 

I'm actually desperate for him to score too, you can see he's trying in games, maybe just needs that goal to give him a bit of confidence and things will start clicking for him. Goncalves on the other hand, was just a lazy sod.

The Stephen Kelly situation is a worry, we might actually be better off once Nouble gets a move, and it frees up a position where both Kelly and Pitts can pla as AM's. Just now it looks like they're both playing for the same spot, and Kelly is a 2nd half sub. He's made such a difference coming on, i don't think we can afford to keep him as a sub once the league starts, or we might be chasing games by the time he gets on the pitch. But i also think Pitts is so much better playing as an AM too.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The Stephen Kelly situation is a worry, we might actually be better off once Nouble gets a move, and it frees up a position where both Kelly and Pitts can pla as AM's. Just now it looks like they're both playing for the same spot, and Kelly is a 2nd half sub. He's made such a difference coming on, i don't think we can afford to keep him as a sub once the league starts, or we might be chasing games by the time he gets on the pitch. But i also think Pitts is so much better playing as an AM too.

I get the feeling the reason Kelly isn't starting is so he's definitely fit for the league opener, think someone else mentioned it but those 2 attacking mid positions are where we're strongest (Kelly, Pittman, Nouble, Bradley, Bahamboula, Shinnie, even Anderson able to take up a role there) so it doesn't impact us as much as it would to drop Anderson for example.

As much as Martindale likes to throw in the odd surprise, I'd be disappointed if Kelly didn't start v Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

I get the feeling the reason Kelly isn't starting is so he's definitely fit for the league opener, think someone else mentioned it but those 2 attacking mid positions are where we're strongest (Kelly, Pittman, Nouble, Bradley, Bahamboula, Shinnie, even Anderson able to take up a role there) so it doesn't impact us as much as it would to drop Anderson for example.

As much as Martindale likes to throw in the odd surprise, I'd be disappointed if Kelly didn't start v Aberdeen.

Aye but will that mean Pittman gets dropped, he isn't going to drop Nouble, even if he isn't playing that great (hopefully he'll step it up once the league games start). If it was a choice between the 2 i'd rather we had Kelly start right enough, i don't even think we've seen the best from him yet, he's still developing and just gets better with every game.

Bradley can be unplayable at times too, but he needs to show a bit more consistency. I think he'll improve on that score this season though, he's a bit behind Kelly in his development, but a great player on his day.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Pittman dropped out the team a few times last season and, given he's now 31 years old, probably moving towards being a rotational option rather than a nailed-on starter

As much as Nouble would be a loss, the idea of Bradley/Kelly/Pittman/Bahamboula as attacking midfield options isn't the worst. The glaring issue is still RWB, as I can't see how we go into a season with two LWB, both of whom are needed in the starting XI

Edited by The Wrong Car

10 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Pittman dropped out the team a few times last season and, given he's now 31 years old, probably moving towards being a rotational option rather than a nailed-on starter

As much as Nouble would be a loss, the idea of Bradley/Kelly/Pittman/Bahamboula as attacking midfield options isn't the worst. The glaring issue is still RWB, as I can't see how we go into a season with two LWB, both of whom are needed in the starting XI

Yeah but he wasn't playing as an attacking midfielder, def his best position. Kelly is prob our best player though, and if a choice between the 2, then it has to be Kelly starting.

I actually think we'll be better once Nouble is gone, Nouble at his best is fantastic, no question, but when was the last time we saw him at his best. I just don't think he's fully committed to playing for us, with a move being talked about so much. 

Dunno why we aren't starting Brandon as RWB, he always looks better playing there when he comes on, and Montano is best playing on the left.