Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, thruthenight said:

If the players who are still contracted are still here in the Championship, I think we'll be more than alright.

Shamal, Holt, Yengi are all too good for that league. Donnellan, Carson, Bradley, Sangare, Pittman, Kelly, would make an excellent squad which, on paper, should have enough to at least get us into the playoffs.

Of those, you'd expect Kelly and Shamal will go, Yengi and Sangare are 50:50 and everyone else probably sticks around. Get a decent defence sorted out and next season should be a lot more fun than this one.

Not sure about that. I look at players i'd be gutted if they left, and Shamal doesn't fall into that category for me, i'd rather have Hamilton than Shamal in goals for us just now.

Fully agree with you on Holt* though, and on what we've seen of Yengi so far he's looking very promising, particularly like his passion, and desire to do well for us.

*Holt also has valuable experience to guide the younger players, and knows when to do the dirty stuff you need to not get walked over.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Not sure about that. I look at players i'd be gutted if they left, and Shamal doesn't fall into that category for me, i'd rather have Hamilton than Shamal in goals for us just now.

Fully agree with you on Holt* though, and on what we've seen of Yengi so far he's looking very promising, particularly like his passion, and desire to do well for us.

*Holt also has valuable experience to guide the younger players, and knows when to do the dirty stuff you need to not get walked over.

I legitimately think that Shamal remains our most sellable asset. He had an awful 6 months in 2023, but he's been massively improved recently, and if the stories of a difficult personal situation are true, then potentially a return to his 2022/early 2023 form is coming. At that point, he was statisticly a top 3 keeper in the league, and if he can get back to that then he'll be too good for the Championship.

Welch-Hayes and Lawal also may well be starters in the Championship. Sounds good to me.

8 hours ago, CharlieWhisky said:

Sadly I fear that Devlin’s contract will be the same as Tom Parkes’, where the two year extension is in the player’s hands and we are fucked.. again.

Went looking for what was said when he signed and found:

“Mikey has signed a 1-year contract that can be extended year-on-year based on a set amount of starts each season triggering the year extension up to 3 years.”

He did start a fair few games earlier on this season but has been on the bench more recently. Hopefully he's not yet met the threshold and his time on the bench continues so that he's gone at the end of the season. 

In terms of next season I’d be looking to keep

Shaun Donnellan

David Carson

Scott Pittman

Jamie Brandon

Steven Bradley

Sean Kelly (purely as he can cover a number of positions)

Jack Hamilton

Tete Yengi

Depending on how loans go, and if Brandon signs Welch – Hayes and Lawal are options.

Presuming Penrice, Anderson, Obileye, Jason Holt, Stephen Kelly, and Boyes leave that only leaves decisions on

Shamal George

Cristian Montano

Mikey Devlin

Daniel Mackay (if there’s a permanent option)

Mohammed Sangare

Michael Nottingham

Andrew Shinnie

Kurtis Guthrie

I doubt George will want to stay in the Championship, and as a former LFC keeper who’s won POTY at Colchester I’d imagine his agent will be busy. Montano seems like a nice guy, but he’s fairly injury prone and 33 this year. Mikey Devlin is done. The rest may be decent in the Championship, either as starters or backup, but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to keep them. 

Edited by The Wrong Car

16 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

In terms of next season I’d be looking to keep

Shaun Donnellan

David Carson

Scott Pittman

Jamie Brandon

Steven Bradley

Sean Kelly (purely as he can cover a number of postitions)

Jack Hamilton

Tete Yengi

Depending on how loans go, and if Brandon signs Welch – Hayes and Lawal are options.

Presuming Penrice, Anderson, Obileye, Jason Holt, Stephen Kelly, and Boyes leave that only leaves decisions on

Shamal George

Cristian Montano

Mikey Devlin

Daniel Mackay (if there’s a permanent option)

Mohammed Sangare

Michael Nottingham

Andrew Shinnie

Kurtis Guthrie

I doubt George will want to stay in the Championship, and as a former LFC keeper who’s won POTY at Colchester I’d imagine his agent will be busy. Montano seems like a nice guy, but he’s fairly injury prone and 33 this year. Mikey Devlin is done. The rest may be decent in the Championship, either as starters or backup, but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank to keep them. 

Apparently both Jason Holt and Mo Sangare are on contract for another year. Not sure either would opt to leave early.

Jason could probably still find another top club but, at 31, his options will presumably be limited.

5 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Apparently both Jason Holt and Mo Sangare are on contract for another year. Not sure either would opt to leave early.

Jason could probably still find another top club but, at 31, his options will presumably be limited.

I'm presuming Sangare may have a relegation release clause. He'd be a good option, if used correctly, however may fancy his chances in the English lower leagues

Holt seems like the sort of player who could kick about the Premiership for a few more years on 1 & 2 year deals, before moving to the Championship in 4/5 years time. If he's happy to stay, and it makes financial sense for everyone, I'd build the team around him!

29 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I'm presuming Sangare may have a relegation release clause. He'd be a good option, if used correctly, however may fancy his chances in the English lower leagues

Holt seems like the sort of player who could kick about the Premiership for a few more years on 1 & 2 year deals, before moving to the Championship in 4/5 years time. If he's happy to stay, and it makes financial sense for everyone, I'd build the team around him!

Yes - I cant think of one game where Jason Holt hasn't given 100%. Even the games where he's given away a penalty or got sent off at Hibs (wrongly IMO) he never lacked effort.

24 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Yes - I cant think of one game where Jason Holt hasn't given 100%. Even the games where he's given away a penalty or got sent off at Hibs (wrongly IMO) he never lacked effort.

Would love to keep Holty. Would be a standout in the Championship.Captian material if ever their was one.Agree,build the team around him,no brainer.👏.

Obviously relegation clauses, any contract extensions, and general cost-cutting could change this, but I think this looks like a decent starting point for the Championship. 

lineup.png.bd2b42154a94e21c985be9633bb59365.png

At the very least there's a workable starting 11 there if you put Welch-Hayes at CB, Sangare at LB, and Kelly out wide for Pittman in the attacking mid role.

Edited by LiviLion

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

In his 30s you say?

If we stay up....

Id take him tbh, but ive wanted him signed since he played for us.

The type of niggly little c**t teams needs.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And he can get a shot on target, which is better than most of our squad.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah; you wouldn't be interested. He's really injury prone; scared to make any form of tackle and simply cant be bothered. Also he's a really disruptive figure in the dressing room who rarely turns up sober for training. He's also a really lazy ####!

Convinced?

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

And he can get a shot on target, which is better than most of our squad.

Only if it's from outside the box, the further away the better, any closer and it'll go over the stand.

Anyone fancy our chances against Celtic then?  

Spoiler

He said trying to keep a straight face

Wonder who the lone striker will be, Shinnie scored against St Johnstone so wouldn't surprise me if it's him, think he scored against Celtic playing as a striker once, then got started there for several games. Nouble might actually put some effort in, with it being on telly and him looking for some mug to sign him. Yengi and Anderson together could be possibilities, just to shock us all, sure he did that before against one of the cheeks. Or just take the piss and go with Guthrie, winning every header but no other Livi player up front to get onto his knock/flick ons.

The anticipation is killing me.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Anyone fancy our chances against Celtic then?  

Only if we happen to take the lead with the last kick of the ball, so Martindale can't actively try to throw it away. No point really looking too much into this, would like to see us set up to have a go but no chance Martindale doesn't try to sit back and nick a goal on the counter. Can't wait for the impending 5-4-1 with some batshit selection like Nouble at wing back or Nottingham up front.

Seeing as we're most likely sticking out a back 5, I'd like to see Yengi and Anderson both starting, at least give us a slight attacking edge:

George

Brandon  -  Nottingham  -  Obileye  -  Devlin  -  Montano

Shinnie  -  Holt  -  Carson

Yengi  -  Anderson