Livingston - all the threads merged

19 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

First thought was someone with international caps, second thought was JET but I doubt it.

Buzzing for the plane to be completely irrelevant

JET has spent the last couple of days training with Morton. Wouldn't be surprised if Livi have got in ahead of us.

If he's anywhere near fit, I think he's worth taking the risk on as he is ridiculously talented. If he takes 6 months to get fit like last time, I'd be less sure of that.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Didn't realise he was at Kidderminster Harriers after February, though I see that came after Inverness didn't want to sign him which probably isn't a great sign.

If he's even half the player we had a few years ago he'd be a great signing, but that seemed to be a purple patch more than anything so hard to tell which version of him we'd get.

If this isn't one of our media guys hilarious misdirects, that is.

Edited by LiviLion

Clear Martindale has decided Lawal isn't ready yet for this season. Also, I noticed last night that when Green went off, Kelly rather than McAlear was brought into the deep playmaker role. You don't want that, you want to leave Kelly as the attacking mid, so maybe Shinnie can come in to compete with Green for the "6" role. McAlear is maybe seen as more of an "8" like Pittman by Martindale.

Edited by Freedom Farter

Shinnie is an excellent player and has had some good games for us but I've never really rated him in the Livi team. Always thought he was just a bit too slow. 

Would much rather Lawal getting game time. We seem to sign a lot of players with an eye on the future, put them on loan or let them warm the bench only for their contract to run down and then they leave.

At some point we have to start using them if we've any hope of them improving or you know just don't waste a wage on them in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

Shinnie is an excellent player and has had some good games for us but I've never really rated him in the Livi team. Always thought he was just a bit too slow. 

Would much rather Lawal getting game time. We seem to sign a lot of players with an eye on the future, put them on loan or let them warm the bench only for their contract to run down and then they leave.

At some point we have to start using them if we've any hope of them improving or you know just don't waste a wage on them in the first place. 

Don't have a clue about Lawal as I haven't seen him play. Going by a handful of ICT fan comments on here, he seems to be a "10", an attacking midfield playmaker. Maybe Livi fans who've seen him in friendlies can correct that if its wrong. We have Stephen Kelly in that role and while a reserve for Kelly is needed, you don't want that to be a young player sitting on the bench most weeks when they need to be playing to develop. I was pleased when Lawal was made available for loan recently as I took that to mean Kelly had given assurances he'd be staying this season.

11 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Don't have a clue about Lawal as I haven't seen him play. Going by a handful of ICT fan comments on here, he seems to be a "10", an attacking midfield playmaker. Maybe Livi fans who've seen him in friendlies can correct that if its wrong. We have Stephen Kelly in that role and while a reserve for Kelly is needed, you don't want that to be a young player sitting on the bench most weeks when they need to be playing to develop. I was pleased when Lawal was made available for loan recently as I took that to mean Kelly had given assurances he'd be staying this season.

Saw Lawal as an Omeonga type player, buzzed about getting involved a lot, turning over possession and wanting to get the ball forward. Olly Green seems to be like that too though, and was impressive. Would like to see Lawal get more game time with us to see what he can do, certainly stood out in the pre season game i went to. 

30 minutes ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

Shinnie and Holt were good at keeping possession, and rarely gave the ball away, however i agree, they were ultra cautious at times and turned back without even looking to see if a forward pass was on, which could be frustrating, as everything slowed right down. 

Let's hope Livi get a big tie in the last 16 of Premier Cup to help pay for a signing like Shinnie.

When will the penny drop £400k odd loss last year.

Sure, we get extra funding this year from the league but that evaporates as the season progresses and we head into last year

With ownership and court cases and legal fees still to be agreed and paid for.

New season same issues still exist.

16 minutes ago, Livi said:

Let's hope Livi get a big tie in the last 16 of Premier Cup to help pay for a signing like Shinnie.

When will the penny drop £400k odd loss last year.

Sure, we get extra funding this year from the league but that evaporates as the season progresses and we head into last year

With ownership and court cases and legal fees still to be agreed and paid for.

Cloud with rain - Download free icons

1 hour ago, Livi said:

Same could be said for your narrative on this forum. 

No matter what is being discussed you have to link it back to the information you're pedalling. 

We get it the club behind the scenes currently isn't great. Can we do much about it with ongoing court cases yet to be resolved? Not really. Have you come good on your comment to get us the info from the other side? No.

Unless you have some new info to share how about an end to your monotonous budget and court case comments? 

Shinnie will add experience which would aid the development of some players especially if he's keen to get into coaching so there is a benefit to him resigning but we can only hope he's going to take a drastic wage cut. 

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Shinnie and Holt were good at keeping possession, and rarely gave the ball away, however i agree, they were ultra cautious at times and turned back without even looking to see if a forward pass was on, which could be frustrating, as everything slowed right down. 

This is my biggest concern. I want to see us move quickly like we did for the goal against Dunfermline. 

I think Shinnie is a bit of a luxury player. If he signs, I'd have rather put his money towards trying to get someone like Nicky Clark.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Agree with the general sentiment, Martindale seems to rate Shinnie significantly more than I do. Decent player, but too slow and ponderous half the time and I'm not sure he improved us in his time here. Also expensive, and has demonstrated his lack of desire to be here in the Championship. It's a no from me.

JET, I would take back in a heartbeat. Took him 3 months to get fit the first time but when he was fit he was the best non-OF player in the league, and it wasn't even close. If we can get him back close to that, then we'll win this league.

I’d be very disappointed if we sign JET. Given we’ve got Muirhead, Korboa, Smith, Sole and Winter to play out wide already, with Yengi and Muirhead our CF option, an attacking option who struggles as a CF isn’t exactly a priority for me. The team also seems to be developing a bit of cohesion, and I’m not sure carrying a guy who takes 3-4 months to get match fit is wise.

In terms of Shinnie, he’s not a player I was desperate to retain particularly if we’re expected to attack teams in the Championship. However with Brandon playing RB and Lawal rumoured to be leaving on loan, we’ve currently got Kelly, Pittman, McAlear, and Green as CM options for the season ahead. Hopefully any deal reflects his place as a CM option at a Championship team, rather than a renewal of a Premiership contract.