Livingston - all the threads merged

35 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

Joel Nouble says he had a two-year deal on the table from a Premiership club before he moved to China.

https://medium.com/@patrick_verrill/joel-nouble-interview-c05164d40e08

From that interview:

As a whole, we didn’t play to the standard of previous seasons. I don’t want to point fingers because I take full responsibility for my performances. However, we did change formation, and I don’t think that we had the team able to do this certain formation that the gaffer had in mind.

We had a period where I was playing right wing back, which won’t get the best out of me. I remember one week being subbed off and booed after playing in that position. I understood the fans disappointment, but I am not a right wing back; I’m a forward. I do also think though that this is football; the gaffer wanted to change it, so we did, and once we changed it back, it was too late.

Right wing back certainly wasn't a good fit for him and nor was the attacking mid role he'd been stuck in until then. What frustrated me most was Martindale not making the simple shift from a 3-4-2-1 to a 3-4-1-2 with Nouble moving up to be a second striker alongside Anderson. That was Nouble's position at Arbroath. He played in a front two where McKenna held the centre forward space and Nouble wandered, most often hovering in the left channel. It would've been Guthrie rather than Anderson due to Martindale's bizarre preference there but even still, it could've worked.

I know why Martindale didn't do that. It will've been that another forward in place of an attacking mid gives you a less solid defensive shape, which worked, our midfield did end up defensively solid. However, that counted for nothing because behind that solid midfield was an incredibly weak foundation, our dreadful central defence. So we ended up with the worst of both worlds. Tactics set up to maximise defensive solidity which sacrificed Nouble. Yet the key component to those tactics - the central defence - was awful. So Nouble ended up sacrificed for no good reason. Just a mess. 

Anyway, glad he's doing well in China. I always admire players who make it from part-time to full-time later in their careers.

It wasn't just last season Nouble's form dropped, the season before he was excellent up till the WC shut down, got injured during the break, in a friendly, then wasn't ever the same. The Utd game before the split was the one that annoyed me the most, win and we'd be in the top 6, against the worst team in the league, and Nouble put floated diagonal balls into the box all game, never once making his customary run to the byeline. Just seemed lazy and staying well within himself, playing safe from risking injury, thinking he'd get a move at the end of the season, which didn't come.

Only game after that i saw Nouble playing well was the Hibs away 3-2 win.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It wasn't just last season Nouble's form dropped, the season before he was excellent up till the WC shut down, got injured during the break, in a friendly, then wasn't ever the same. The Utd game before the split was the one that annoyed me the most, win and we'd be in the top 6, against the worst team in the league, and Nouble put floated diagonal balls into the box all game, never once making his customary run to the byeline. Just seemed lazy and staying well within himself, playing safe from risking injury, thinking he'd get a move at the end of the season, which didn't come.

Only game after that i saw Nouble playing well was the Hibs away 3-2 win.

The 3-4-2-1 had already began earlier that month. It was back to the 4-2-3-1 for the Utd game with Nouble at left mid but he was playing the position as a wide playmaker not a winger. Staying very narrow and dropping deep to take part earlier in the build up, attempting those long passes you mention. It's more likely that was under Martindale's instruction rather than Nouble deciding to change his game up.

Edited by Freedom Farter

5 hours ago, CharlieWhisky said:

Joel Nouble says he had a two-year deal on the table from a Premiership club before he moved to China.

https://medium.com/@patrick_verrill/joel-nouble-interview-c05164d40e08

Thanks for sharing. Glad he got a money move, seems like a good guy who deserves it. 

16 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Thanks for sharing. Glad he got a money move, seems like a good guy who deserves it. 

I agree. Obviously things turned a bit sour for us on the pitch and I would hardly say he left in a blaze of glory, but he’s very likeable.

It wasn't just that Nouble was being played out of position. His levels dropped significantly after his injury. When he came to us after his loan spell in Arbroath, he was not only technically brilliant but an absolute monster physically. There was a noticeable drop off in his impact in the second half off the 22/23 season. Typified, as others have pointed out, by his limp performance in the game against Dundee United at Tannadice. Whether this was down to fitness or lack of commitment, I'm not sure. However, I think not wanting to risk injury and scupper a potential transfer was a big factor. Particularly when you look back at Martindale broadcasting our intention to sell him at every given opportunity in the season that followed. Similar story with Nicky Devlin at the end of his tenure. You can understand it from the player's point of view but it is frustrating as a fan. 

Unlike Devlin, Nouble didn't get his move. He looked way off it at the beginning of 23/24, even when he was being played up front. Still the odd moment of brilliance but nothing like the force he was when he came back from his loan spell. I will (as Davie loves to say) caveat this by acknowledging the fact that being more of a known quantity did not work in his favour in that nullifying his threat from open play became a priority for opposing defences. Additionally, the quality of the squad overall had deteriorated, particularly in terms of creativity, which meant he was carrying a heavier burden. However, I still feel that Nouble himself has to take most of the responsibility for his diminished performances. He just wasn't who he was before. 

Incidentally, I feel that what we got from Nouble when he first came back entirely justified Martindale's strategy of buying untested players and loaning them out. It pains me to hear the chronically overused "aye, that'll be him getting sent on loan to Abroath hur hur" patter on the Livi Facebook page given his initial success with us. 

Nothing against Nouble personally. Always seemed like a good guy. Just a bit disappointed to see how it panned out for him. I was convinced that he would go on to play at a much higher level. Had the talent required to do so. In fact, I would argue that he was a more naturally gifted player than Dykes. Just goes to highlight the necessity of consistent effort and application.

Edit: Posted this before actually reading the article where he does admit responsibility for his performances. Quite balanced from him overall. 

Edited by hoobahabba

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Wonder if we'll see a front pairing of May and Muirhead tomorrow. Apparently Yengi was seen on crutches earlier in the week so assume he wont be in the lineup - or maybe he will.

Muirhead May and Sole in a front three would be my pick, but we'll never be that bold.

12 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Ended the Morton match with that. It didn't work well that day but definitely could.

Aye bringing them on for the last 20 mins isn't what i want to see, want them all starting together and having plenty time to get us goals.

13 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

When we all spoke a couple of months ago, most said they'd need time to Gel.Surely we should be seeing signs of that by now,or am I missing a trick here.Albeit still telatively early doors.🤷‍♂️.

We've got a massive game in 6 wks away to league leaders Ayr .

If we've not gelled by then,we're in bother.

Mid September is more than enough time for players to know each other.

2 mths playing(July to Sept),from friendlies to competitive games.

Hopefully we get a good crowd down at the upgraded Somerset Park.

Edited by Dav nan Gael

52 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye bringing them on for the last 20 mins isn't what i want to see, want them all starting together and having plenty time to get us goals.

We know Martindale likes Muirhead and he's "first sub" at the moment so will surely rotate in for this match, especially if Yengi is injured. I'm confident May will start again as I imagine Martindale wants him to get the psychological boost of scoring his first goal for us.

Sole I'd be less confident on. He should be getting closer to recovery now and the match against Hamilton next week is important. Risking him tomorrow might not be the best option. If he's already fully recovered, though, he'll likely play.

I can see Martindale shuffling things around tomorrow, don't be surprised to see Pitaluga/Mcalear/Korboa/Winter start IMO. He'll likely use it as a chance for some guys to get competitive starts into them and give them a chance

28 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I can see Martindale shuffling things around tomorrow, don't be surprised to see Pitaluga/Mcalear/Korboa/Winter start IMO. He'll likely use it as a chance for some guys to get competitive starts into them and give them a chance

I cannot see this at all.

Martindale has said he wants to try and win this cup. Not going to do that by playing untried and untested players against a team we have struggled against twice, despite the league positioning of the teams.

It'll be same team as Raith, but if Yengi is injured then Muirhead or Sole will be in for him. 

14 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Martindale has said he wants to try and win this cup. Not going to do that by playing untried and untested players against a team we have struggled against twice, despite the league positioning of the teams.

It'll be same team as Raith, but if Yengi is injured then Muirhead or Sole will be in for him. 

Aye we've got reserve  games to play those players in, plus Prior also needs the game time, he's only played one first team game. It'll be the same again, with Spartans playing a low block and the onus on us to break them down. Expecting a laborious game with Spartans looking to hit us on the counter. Maybe see Montano starting, to get a full 90 mins into his legs, other than that can't see any changes unless Yengi is injured, then Muirhead will start.

11 hours ago, ATLIS said:

11 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

We've also failed to beat them twice already if you're taking pre-season into account (I wouldn't really), so you'd think he'll want to avoid another poor result against them being used as a stick to beat him with. 

Not like we've got fixture pile up to make the need to rotate, a full week before and after this game so I'd expect him to be putting out the team he thinks will give us the best chance of a win.