Livingston - all the threads merged

"My decision is to continue to work hard for Livingston Football Club and to find a solution. Now is the time to try to run the business, not to close the business immediately."

It really sounds like he doesn't understand that after today, there won't be a Livingston Football Club to work hard for.

I just watched Massone on Sky Sports news on what looked like a home video saying he is not accepting offer. He is truly mental! McGruther also phoned in to clarify situation that it all comes down to the 25k. Brinkmanship?

The SFL had cast iron assurances that Clydebank would continue for the following season.

Half of the players that played for Airdrie United in their 1st season would have been playing for Clydebank.

McGeown,Brannigan,Gardiner,Gow,McVeigh etc

We`d have played in Div 2 at Cappielow.

We were told by the David Low that we had that entire season to come up with the money to take the club out of administration.

The rest is history.

And yet the SFL considered Clydebank a "non-club" and a "thorn in their side", with one of them describing the "plans" for their future as "the stuff of fantasy".

So yet again you have avoided the main point: the SFL were convinced for quite some time that Clydebank were utterly finished and took no action - and yet you yourself are now berating them for taking no action against Livingston??

You can't have it both ways.

Edited by RedV

I still think he'll fold. He knows he has until McGruther leaves to meet the SFL tomorrow.

No he doesn't.

McGruther has said he will start liquidation proceedings today, then wind up the company and notify the SFL tomorrow.

Once liquidation has started, I'm not sure how easy it is to pull a company back (if it can be done at all).

Edited by Sir Calum Melville

Im sorry, but thats just nonsense. While most "true" football fans have the upmost sympathy for fans like yourself, the loss of Livingston will not be a blow to Scottish football, losing Gretna last year certainly wasnt. Gretna were replaced by an established, well run club with the support of its local community, which lives within its means. Chances are Livingston, if they go, will be replaced by a similar club. In its present form, Livingston is not good for Scottish football, its even worse for anyone unfortunate to do business with them.

I'm not sure how the loss of a club would not be seen as anything other than a blow to Scottish football to be honest. If Livi were to fold, the ramifications would be felt in the SFL for the whole of next season, as it looks likely that one divsion (Each team) would lose out on four league matches. Whatever your thoughts on Livi are, that is undeniable. looking at it in another way, it doesn't give confidence to potential or indeed current sponsors either.

As for the comparisons with Annan and Gretna, well I would agree with you to a point. Annan are indeed a well run club that is supported and respected in the local community. Gretna were also a well run community club, that were well respected as well. However, they blew this away after two good and solid seasons in the SFL, on one mans fantasy and another couple of people's egos. The Gretna that died bore no remblance to the Gretna that had been in existence since 1946 and had been a credit to their town.

Now, whatever happens, there is going to be some pain, or more pain if you like. To make this a bit more palatable, surely lessons have to be learned and some sort of regulations need to be put in place for the future, with some sort of annual financial health check for all clubs? This would have the power of suspension, relegation or even expulsion from the league, for those clubs that are not running their business properly.

This along with a waiting list for entry into the 3rd Division, to be updated and maintained regularly, so they can move into the league, without the lengthy selection process taking place, after a club has folded. Obviously a pyramid would be the best option, but that is another argument.

Now, whether you agree with me or not about the financial checks and balances, something does need to be implemented to minimise this situation happening again. The SFL are the only ones that can change how this is done, but unless there is a drive for change by all the clubs within the league, then it will not happen. However, as sure as night turns into day, if nothing changes, we will find ourselves in the exact same situation within the next couple of seasons, having learned nothing from Gretna or Livingston.

Edited by qos_75

1. I'm not sure how the loss of a club would not be seen as anything other than a blow to Scottish football to be honest.

2. Now, whether you agree with me or not about the financial checks and balances, something does need to be implemented to minimise this situation happening again. The SFL are the only ones that can change how this is done, but unless there is a drive for change by all the clubs within the league, then it will not happen. However, as sure as night turns into day, if nothing changes, we will find ourselves in the exact same situation within the next couple of seasons, having learned nothing from Gretna or Livingston.

1. were it any club other than this one, I'd agree with you

2. The SFL have come out pretty clearly and said in the papers today that "they aren't in the business of forcing clubs to the wall" and, as predicted, the "We've given Livi every chance" line. As long as they hold to that mentality they won't learn anything from these crises, let alone put measures in place to respond to them more effectively in the future.

It's an absolute shambles.

Guest Flash
Is the phrase "fruit loop" the most often used phrase in this thread?

I think it is probably "dancing shoes".

No doubt SD will give you a link showing how you can find out.

Massone is playing a game of brinkmanship - he knows that the league place is worth more than £25K - he's possibly been offered more by Spartans to hold his ground and let the club fold. ;)

Surely if they folded, the membership would return to the SFL? Any other interested party would need to buy them before they went to the wall, to get the membership.

Clydebank, perhaps? Just to complete the cycle. ;)

Massone is playing a game of brinkmanship - he knows that the league place is worth more than £25K - he's possibly been offered more by Spartans to hold his ground and let the club fold. ;)

Given that Cove Rangers finished ahead of them in the vote that brought Annan into the league last year, I don't think Spartans can take anything for granted.

Surely if they folded, the membership would return to the SFL? Any other interested party would need to buy them before they went to the wall, to get the membership.

Very much so. If Livingston were to fold when it comes to a vote a year down the line any team based at Almondvale would surely be the best placed to get access anyway?

I hope they survive to be honest and there will be no grave dancing done down Ainslie Park

I'm sure it will be last minute but i'm also sure investors will be given their chance to save the club.

Edited by Simplistic

No he doesn't.

McGruther has said he will start liquidation proceedings today, then wind up the company and notify the SFL tomorrow.

Once liquidation has started, I'm not sure how easy it is to pull a company back (if it can be done at all).

It depends what "starting proceedures today" means in practice- whether he actually takes irreversible legal action, or merely instructs his team to start drawing up an inventory of fixtures and fittings for sale, and begins contacting creditors. The gap between midday today and the meeting with the SFL tomorrow seems a bit of a corridor of uncertainty to me. If Massone turned up at 5pm with legal instructions to transfer his shareholding in return for his cheque then I think Massone's instructions would be taken, rather than his being turned away at McGruther's door.

Livingston have survived these types of situations so many times before that I won't believe they're gone just yet.

Guest Flash

We have been through all this before and McGruther has confirmed as much - the league place can't be transferred on its own. If anybody wants it, they have to acquire the club.