Livingston - all the threads merged

Off course they have added to it. You dont seriously think they are paying wages up to £1100 a week on current income! Things will be really tightened up come the summer.

Only telling you what Nixon said when asked about it, if you off course know how much was put in to start with, how much is being spent, how much is being made and that he's lying about everything, then fair enough for you to say differently.

Only telling you what Nixon said when asked about it, if you off course know how much was put in to start with, how much is being spent, how much is being made and that he's lying about everything, then fair enough for you to say differently.

What did Massone say when he was asked about it ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

West Lothian Council to axe 1,000 jobs

"Council leader Peter Johnston said the challenges facing the council are "unprecedented" and that "tough choices lie ahead", including a possible council tax increase in the years ahead."

So, will one of the tough choices the council leader mentions include charging Livi for rent ? Will he start paying for his ticket to Almondvale instead of using taxpayers money in the form of reduced rent ?

More questions still to be answered... :lol:

I would rather a business paid it's rent than my council tax go up instead. :rolleyes:

West Lothian Council to axe 1,000 jobs

"Council leader Peter Johnston said the challenges facing the council are "unprecedented" and that "tough choices lie ahead", including a possible council tax increase in the years ahead."

So, will one of the tough choices the council leader mentions include charging Livi for rent ? Will he start paying for his ticket to Almondvale instead of using taxpayers money in the form of reduced rent ?

More questions still to be answered... laugh.gif

I would rather a business paid it's rent than my council tax go up instead. rolleyes.gif

ShitStirrer.jpg

You've got to laugh...perfectly valid points and a Livi (cheating diddy scum) fan claims it's "shit stirring".

Don't you think it's unacceptable that a council should be propping up an insolvent football club while at the same time shedding jobs and considering increasing council tax?

Let's face it, all councils have several jobs which could be slashed. It's not pleasant to lay people off by any means but to suggest that councils should have too large a work force is ludicrous. Not applicable to the WLC but in Edinburgh 80% of Council Tax goes towards wages, which is quite frankly ridiculous.

The club has brought publicity to the town in its existence there, which is worth far more than rent, to attract businesses to the area. It seems stupid to suggest but without our good footballing runs in the past, not many people would have heard of the town of Livingston. It's exactly the same for places like Bolton and Blackburn which would have drowned in obscurity had it not been for their football teams.

The only slight difference being that Bolton and Blackburn were founder members of the Football League, whereas "Livi" were only shat into existence barely ten years ago.

It really will stick in the craw of the local authority workers being laid off, that the council has written off six figures worth of debt, and provided council facilities at a subsidised rate for this and next season, to a demonstrably failed venture such as the Franchise.

New businesses will invest in that town because of its location, infrastructure and business opportunities/special rates made available by local government, not because the re-named Meadowbank Thistle cheated their way to the SPL, by spending money they had no intention of repaying.

Let's face it, all councils have several jobs which could be slashed. It's not pleasant to lay people off by any means but to suggest that councils should have too large a work force is ludicrous. Not applicable to the WLC but in Edinburgh 80% of Council Tax goes towards wages, which is quite frankly ridiculous.

The club has brought publicity to the town in its existence there, which is worth far more than rent, to attract businesses to the area. It seems stupid to suggest but without our good footballing runs in the past, not many people would have heard of the town of Livingston. It's exactly the same for places like Bolton and Blackburn which would have drowned in obscurity had it not been for their football teams.

Its not pleasant to see a football club go under either. Im sure the people laid off by the council will take great comfort from the fact that their, previous, employers chose to save a 3rd division football club instead of their jobs

Are you seriously trying to suggest that having a football club which has twice gone into administration, leaving numerous local business out of pocket, is a good advert for the town and would actually encourage business to invest/move to the area? :o

The only slight difference being that Bolton and Blackburn were founder members of the Football League, whereas "Livi" were only shat into existence barely ten years ago.

It really will stick in the craw of the local authority workers being laid off, that the council has written off six figures worth of debt, and provided council facilities at a subsidised rate for this and next season, to a demonstrably failed venture such as the Franchise.

New businesses will invest in that town because of its location, infrastructure and business opportunities/special rates made available by local government, not because the re-named Meadowbank Thistle cheated their way to the SPL, by spending money they had no intention of repaying.

Regardless of when they started in the league, they are known because of the success of their football team much like us (how the mighty have fallen etc.).

I think the figure wiped was £300k. The wiping of the club debt has not been the reason that 1000 people are about to lose their jobs.

I didn't say they would invest in the area because of the team. They may have first heard of the town because of the football team

Its not pleasant to see a football club go under either. Im sure the people laid off by the council will take great comfort from the fact that their, previous, employers chose to save a 3rd division football club instead of their jobs

Are you seriously trying to suggest that having a football club which has twice gone into administration, leaving numerous local business out of pocket, is a good advert for the town and would actually encourage business to invest/move to the area? :o

If there really are 1000 people being sacked, then I hardly think that a 6 figure dept wipe would have saved their jobs. Unless of course, you are suggesting that they are all on £300 a year.

I never said that the club would encourage more business. I said that people may have heard of the town when they otherwise wouldn't have because of its football team who went up the leagues so quickly, competed in the Uefa Cup and won a major domestic trophy.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

er, 300k wiped out (plus whatever money has been lost as a result of the subsidised rent you will pay for this and next season) could have saved anything between 20-100 jobs, depending on what jobs are being cut and in what service areas.

Yes, it wouldn't have prevented the majority of the 1,000 jobs lost, but it would have softened the blow for the local area a bit and kept some folk in a job. Keeping people in a job is much more important than the tiny minority of the town's population bleating aw ah want's a team tae watch oan a Setirday.

Still, I'm sure the club will generously offer those newly unemployed free tickets.

:rolleyes:

PS Blackburn and Bolton were key towns in the English industrial revolution and exported cotton all over the world for 150 years. They didn't need football teams to publicise their name. And, as Mr X points out above, I'm not sure the kind of publicity "Livi" have generated in the past ten years is the kind of publicity that a town really wants, to be honest.

er, 300k wiped out (plus whatever money has been lost as a result of the subsidised rent you will pay for this and next season) could have saved anything between 20-100 jobs, depending on what jobs are being cut and in what service areas.

Yes, it wouldn't have prevented the majority of the 1,000 jobs lost, but it would have softened the blow for the local area a bit and kept some folk in a job. Keeping people in a job is much more important than the tiny minority of the town's population bleating aw ah want's a team tae watch oan a Setirday.

Still, I'm sure the club will generously offer those newly unemployed free tickets.

:rolleyes:

PS Blackburn and Bolton were key towns in the English industrial revolution and exported cotton all over the world for 150 years. They didn't need football teams to publicise their name. And, as Mr X points out above, I'm not sure the kind of publicity "Livi" have generated in the past ten years is the kind of publicity that a town really wants, to be honest.

As I said, the public sector employs far too many anyway. Those 20-100 jobs across the board would probably be a waste of time for the council who are already strapped for cash.

There would have been many people losing their jobs at the club as well, you are forgetting this fact.

I know that a lot of people across the U.K. wouldn't have heard of either town had they not had their successful football teams. I can almost guarentee that the their part in the industrial revolution wouldn't be the thing they are most well known for about 90% of the population.

I know that a lot of people across the U.K. wouldn't have heard of either town had they not had their successful football teams. I can almost guarentee that the their part in the industrial revolution wouldn't be the thing they are most well known for about 90% of the population.

Well, 90% of the population of morons...of which you are clearly one.

It's completely pointless trying to get you to see the facts, when you come away with rubbish like the above.

naturally, a privately-educated Edinburgh schoolboy would have his finger on the pulse of acceptable employment levels at local authorities, before he's ever had to pay any Council Tax in his life. You've never had to work for a living, so I guess it's understandable that you can be so cavalier with a trifling matter such as unemployment.

If there really are 1000 people being sacked, then I hardly think that a 6 figure dept wipe would have saved their jobs. Unless of course, you are suggesting that they are all on £300 a year.

I never said that the club would encourage more business. I said that people may have heard of the town when they otherwise wouldn't have because of its football team who went up the leagues so quickly, competed in the Uefa Cup and won a major domestic trophy.

Even if it's 10 jobs saved, that's 10 families that have a breadwinner putting food on the table.

Regardless of supporting the team, the local council shouldn't be subsidising a limited company, a commercial enterprise owned by 3 millionaires who now control a lease on a very lucrative piece of land. Surely even you can see that ?

Is it just me that goes on a huge guilt trip for supporting my team when this kind of news breaks? Why am I a weirdo!!! sad.gif

You're not a weirdo...well, not because of this anyway.

It's perfectly normal to feel guilty that your football club's very existence is making people unemployed. People who probably have families that will now be on the breadline.