Livingston - all the threads merged

19 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

That seems to have changed. Martindale said in his Falkirk match review it'll be at least 6 weeks. With Donnellan and Jackson both injured then Montano now established as a left back again, we're currently without any centre back cover. Martindale said he's therefore hoping to sign a free agent centre back soon.

Option there to move Brandon back to RB with Finlayson being able to play CB too. This is where we need to see some young lads coming through. So far they all seem to be forwards or midfielders though

On 04/10/2024 at 21:05, Livi said:

Looks like Lord Braid is all things Livi on Tuesday in the CoS

That surely is more legal fees being paid out as it seems the club lawyers involved in all 3 cases

IMG_2544.jpeg

IMG_2545.png

Any news from yesterday? 

Reasonably happy with that last night. McGowan was excellent again and Notts is looking pretty solid. What’s clear from the first round of fixtures is that we are missing a bit in the final third. I feel we can be good getting to the box but we’ll sooner find another pass or a dead end than something incisive or a shot. No doubt May is an intelligent player just needs some legs closer to him I think. Pitts has been doing a decent job getting up there but last night May wasn’t really getting a sniff. I feel like Smith and Muirhead haven’t consistently shown enough yet.

Edited by crispy

50 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Option there to move Brandon back to RB with Finlayson being able to play CB too. This is where we need to see some young lads coming through. So far they all seem to be forwards or midfielders though

Have we ever had young CB players coming through, only decent one i can think of we didn't play him and let him go to County, where he had a great career. Big ginger haired guy, came from Whitburn too (my home town) but can't remember his name.

Suppose McPake could count, started off as a striker but wasn't very good, and was changed to a CB, where he was a lot better, but got injured a lot.

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Have we ever had young CB players coming through, only decent one i can think of we didn't play him and let him go to County, where he had a great career. Big ginger haired guy, came from Whitburn too (my home town) but can't remember his name.

Suppose McPake could count, started off as a striker but wasn't very good, and was changed to a CB, where he was a lot better, but got injured a lot.

Fordyce and Donaldson the first that come to mind.

Edited by crispy

Just now, crispy said:

No doubt May is an intelligent player just needs some legs closer to him I think. Pitts has been doing a decent job getting up there but last night May wasn’t really getting a sniff.

We get the ball to Stevie May in the right position and he will score. There's no doubt of that. 

The problem comes from as you say a lack of incisive passing but also our style of build up play. Whether he's asked to drift wide or not May needs to remain central. Far too often are our strikers picking the ball up out wide and then when we reach the box they are not in there to try and score. 

1 minute ago, crispy said:

Reasonably happy with that last night. McGowan was excellent again and Notts is looking pretty solid. What’s clear from the first round of fixtures is that we are missing a bit in the final third. I feel we can be good getting to the box but we’ll sooner find another pass or a dead end than something incisive or a shot. No doubt May is an intelligent player just needs some legs closer to him I think. Pitts has been doing a decent job getting up there but last night May wasn’t really getting a sniff. I feel like Smith and Muirhead haven’t consistently shown enough yet.

Was the game i feared for Nottingham the most last night, playing against a mobile attacking Falkirk, him and McGowan have a good partnership going. Notts did well ushering out a ball, forcing a player wide against Partick, then a few minutes later he got caught out and they got the cross in, but McGowan covered for him blocking the shot, didn't see last night as i got caught outside in the traffic and turned away when their carpark was full, so just headed home, was going to take me another 25 mins at least to turn back to the roundabout and then find a parking place, so don't really know how he did, but we kept a clean sheet so job's a goodun.

13 minutes ago, crispy said:

Unlike last season where we had a revolving door of CB's coming and going, our defence is getting the games together to form a good understanding bond. But further up the pitch they aren't, Sole is hardly getting a game, Muirhead has been in and out, and before that Yengi was playing, May hasn't really formed a partnership with anyone. We need to start giving Sole regular starts, also noticed he doesn't get the ball played to him as much as he should, and we prefer going down Montano's side. Was the same when Penrice was first playing, we went down the opposite side all the time and Penrice was standing all alone in acres of space being ignored.

Sole and Montano can hurt teams and get the ball to our strikers, but we need to give them both regular games now, and have a settled attack. Too much chopping and changing up front.  Muirhead-May-Sole as a front 3 and give them a run of games.

2 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

That seems to have changed. Martindale said in his Falkirk match review it'll be at least 6 weeks. With Donnellan and Jackson both injured then Montano now established as a left back again, we're currently without any centre back cover. Martindale said he's therefore hoping to sign a free agent centre back soon.

Yeah, that's from this interview for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We rely on you to keep us informed.

I wiz nae there. I rely on public records like everyone else.

assume no much has happened if nothing reported here  

1 hour ago, Livi said:

I wiz nae there. I rely on public records like everyone else.

assume no much has happened if nothing reported here  

I was about to say the same, if anything happened we'd have heard it here first :D Especially if it was anything going against those running the club now

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Dare say RTCB would be on telling us if things went his way.

Assume December is still going ahead maybe it all comes to a head then

Just look up the A9 what happens when it goes wrong 

So good to see Pittman thriving again. I thought he was our best player yesterday. He gets better every game so must be regaining a level of confidence that he had perhaps lost in the premiership latterly. It's been said before but I really don't think we will ever see another player like him. 

As others have said, our defence is looking strong this season. McGowan and Nottingham look very comfortable at this level and I don't see us conceding many goals. We are, however, lacking creativity going forward. Was hoping Stephen Kelly would be our playmaker this season but Martindale seems to be using him in a more conservative role. Priority going forward (no pun intended) is to establish what we're going to do to create chances. It's not obvious that the players know exactly what they're doing in attack and the lack of consistency around our starting frontline will affect our chances of promotion if it isn't settled soon. Falkirk were far more purposeful in possession than we were last night and looked threatening whenever they had the ball. They were also far more open at the back but we weren't able to capitalise on this and gave up on trying from the second half onwards. 

Edited by hoobahabba

7 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Was the game i feared for Nottingham the most last night, playing against a mobile attacking Falkirk, him and McGowan have a good partnership going. Notts did well ushering out a ball, forcing a player wide against Partick, then a few minutes later he got caught out and they got the cross in, but McGowan covered for him blocking the shot, didn't see last night as i got caught outside in the traffic and turned away when their carpark was full, so just headed home, was going to take me another 25 mins at least to turn back to the roundabout and then find a parking place, so don't really know how he did, but we kept a clean sheet so job's a goodun.

Haud oan here.

I'm sure I must be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but it looks like you're saying that you've travelled to the match and then went straight home again because the carpark was full?:huh:

1 hour ago, hoobahabba said:

So good to see Pittman thriving again. I thought he was our best player yesterday. He gets better every game so must be regaining a level of confidence that he had perhaps lost in the premiership latterly. It's been said before but I really don't think we will ever see another player like him. 

As others have said, our defence is looking strong this season. McGowan and Nottingham look very comfortable at this level and I don't see us conceding many goals. We are, however, lacking creativity going forward. Was hoping Stephen Kelly would be our playmaker this season but Martindale seems to be using him in a more conservative role. Priority going forward (no pun intended) is to establish what we're going to do to create chances. It's not obvious that the players know exactly what they're doing in attack and the lack of consistency around our starting frontline will affect our chances of promotion if it isn't settled soon. Falkirk were far more purposeful in possession than we were last night and looked threatening whenever they had the ball. They were also far more open at the back but we weren't able to capitalise on this and gave up on trying from the second half onwards. 

Mentioned on another Livi forum that lack of a settled front three is our main problem in attack, Shinnie and Muirhead are doing the hokey cokey having turn about playing left in a front three, Sole has hardly had any game time playing on the right, and even Smith wasn't there to start with and gets chopped and changed. May was originally playing with Yengi, who is out injured, and Winter gets subbed on late like Sole was doing. So in 3 positions we've had Yengi/May/Muirhead/Shinnie/Winter/Sole/Smith, this just isn't giving us a settled attack. 8 league games in and we need to decide on a settled attacking 3, and stick to it, so they can form an understanding. My choice would be Muirhead*-May-Sole starting every game, by all means bring subs on if needed later in the game, but get some consistency in attack by starting those players.

In contrast we've got a settled back four, with only Montano now coming in for Clarke at LB, and that is paying dividends, building a solid defence.

*Muirhead has scored something like 32 goals the last 2 seasons, and a few with us this season, so i'd be getting him having a run of games to get him into his stride, same with Sole, he's looked our best winger, so give him a run to establish himself playing there.

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Haud oan here.

I'm sure I must be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but it looks like you're saying that you've travelled to the match and then went straight home again because the carpark was full?:huh:

Aye we'd been stuck in a queue getting up to the stadium carpark entrance for 20 odd mins, then as we got near it a steward was turning cars away saying it was full. We were coming from the roundabout side and there was a shitload of cars coming the other way, all jammed up, reckon we'd have taken at least 25 mins to get turned round and back to the roundabout to go find a place to park and would've missed about 25-35 mins of the game, so just kept going and headed back home.. Was about 5 mins to ko by the time we got near to the carpark. Was paying at the gate so wasn't out of pocket buying a ticket, maybe would've went in late if i had.

Been going to Livi games for about 27 years and never had that happen to me before, been to a lot of games at TFS too and not had any problems parking in the carpark before, but last night was hellish.