Quick Question Thread

Guest The Phoenix

Are you saying the solution is to do it via a paypal account then?

A solution is to do it via a paypal account.

Probably the best solution as well.

Since I've been going to football games, I've always been aware of the referee being called a 'homer' (normally by old men).

I originally thought it meant homosexual, but you still hear it today so I'm presuming it can't mean that. So, what does the insult 'homer' actually mean?

Since I've been going to football games, I've always been aware of the referee being called a 'homer' (normally by old men).

I originally thought it meant homosexual, but you still hear it today so I'm presuming it can't mean that. So, what does the insult 'homer' actually mean?

In favour of the home team...

Always gives decisions in favour of the home team

Guest The Phoenix

Was that really a serious question, Fudge?

It's never entered my head to give it a homesexual link.

I'm an old man, right enough. :(

Was that really a serious question, Fudge?

It's never entered my head to give it a homesexual link.

I'm an old man, right enough. :(

I couldn't think of anything else. It's not an insult I've ever heard outside football and the 'giving decisions in favour of the home team' doesn't make any sense give it's the auld b*****ds at Ochilview that should it when we're clearly the home team (or maybe not v Shire).

They're probably just idiots who have taken it's real meaning and turned it into an generic insult.

Guest The Phoenix

I couldn't think of anything else. It's not an insult I've ever heard outside football and the 'giving decisions in favour of the home team' doesn't make any sense give it's the auld b*****ds at Ochilview that should it when we're clearly the home team (or maybe not v Shire).

They're probably just idiots who have taken it's real meaning and turned it into an generic insult.

I've used the expression to mean biased in favour of the home team at most sports I've been involved in over the years - football, cricket, hockey to name but three.

The suggestion it could be in reference to homosexuality has come as a major revelation to me.

Perhaps the proximity of Ochilview to the former Bellsdyke Hospital could be a causal link?

There was some octogenarian shouting this at New Broomfield yesterday from the Sons end, over and over again. I didn't have a scooby what he meant.

If you walked, ran and cycled the same distance would you use the same amount of energy?

well, according to the old Scottish Executive advert, "walking a mile uses the same number of calories as running a mile" and according to an episode of How To that I saw many years ago a human on a bicycle should be able to outlast a human in a car and a human on foot. So, using those examples (admittedly flimsy though they may be) I'd say walking and running use the same and cycling uses less.

Guest The Phoenix

What football boots would people recommend? I'm needing a new pair for playing on astroturf. Something not too expensive preferably.

post-7951-0-21655000-1303070100_thumb.jp