Watty Replacing Berti

Rugster

On the flip side though, Rangers won 9 in a row up against one of the worst Celtic teams in recent years, and were the only team in Scotland who could spend serious money on players. Once Celtic brought in a decent manager (Wim Jansen I think it was), the run ended. :unsure:

yup. got to agree. at that time a monkey could have managed rangers cos they had players or had the money to bring in players who could organise themselves to win the title.

wattie smith is the same as vogts - give him an outstanding group of players and he can lead them and win.

So what? No-one could deny that he restored dignity to Rangers after Graeme Souness left.

and WTF is that all about? restored dignity?? Souness didn't exactly leave under a cloud!

christ i'd rather see tommy mclean than walter smith in charge. for the same reasons that strachan is the popular choice!! got lesser teams to perform above themselves. and jim jeffries... i might as well shoot myself now!

at least someone like strachan is a tartan army icon as well as having proven abilities in a big leage wi a wee team...

do i need to spell out (i probably do) WSmith big team+wee league=success.

wee team+big league=fucked!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BRFC Tartan Army
Could someone tell me why there is such a big hoo-ha about Gordon Strachan then? What has he won as a manager - nothing. The strangest reason I've heard in support of Gordon Strachan being the next Scotland manager is "Coz he's funny in interviews". Is that it then - are we going to get someone like him in because he's comical and thinks he's a bit of a smart a**e.

We'd be better off with Jim Jeffries, who is less "interesting", and has at least been most impressive when working within limited budgets (Hearts Scottish Cup 1998). Though I still think Walter could do a better job than him.

He turned Southampton into a half decent premiership team, getting them into a cup final & europe and best of all they played good football. Check where they are now after he left ;) I think it proves he done a decent job with a shit team

Guest OrangeMalky

Walter Smith would just be the perfect target for you lot when you realised that even under a Scot, the Scotland team are hopeless wouldn't he.

Can just imagine, a year or 2 down the line, Scotland are still not bringing the players through, the passion or the interest still not there etc "Aw well, it's that *** Scumbag Walter Smith's fault because of his Rangers connections that we are so pish, he didn't bring Scottish players through during 9 in a row and he has a bad influence in the dressing room because everyone knows that it's all Rangers fault anyway" Aye, for you lot and the sellick minded media, Walter would be the perfect man for the job. A Scot if it works out, a dirty Rangers b@stard if it all goes balls up. Just what you were looking for, eh. :angry::rolleyes:

Walter Smith is evidently well respected through out the game, hence his being appointed as Man U's assistant last season.

I know I'd rather take Sir Alex's view, than some of these fuds with a chip on their shoulder :rolleyes:

He turned Southampton into a half decent premiership team, getting them into a cup final & europe and best of all they played good football. Check where they are now after he left ;) I think it proves he done a decent job with a shit team

Southampton were a half-decent team even before Gordon Strachan arrived - they finished 10th in season 2000/01. In Strachan's first season in charge they finished 11th, and the season after that, they finished 8th. And the season he left, they finished 12th. So, one fairly good season, but he only moved them up 2 places. And in Europe they got knocked out in the first round they played in - they never got into Europe because they were a really good team - only because they beat inferior opposition (Spurs, Millwall, Wolves, Norwich, Watford) to get to the FA Cup Final.

Walter Smith would just be the perfect target for you lot when you realised that even under a Scot, the Scotland team are hopeless wouldn't he.

Can just imagine, a year or 2 down the line, Scotland are still not bringing the players through, the passion or the interest still not there etc "Aw well, it's that *** Scumbag Walter Smith's fault because of his Rangers connections that we are so pish, he didn't bring Scottish players through during 9 in a row and he has a bad influence in the dressing room because everyone knows that it's all Rangers fault anyway" Aye, for you lot and the sellick minded media, Walter would be the perfect man for the job. A Scot if it works out, a dirty Rangers b@stard if it all goes balls up. Just what you were looking for, eh. :angry::rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm embarrassed for you. <_<

More than willing to give Walter Smith a shot. I'm glad it's not Strachan. He's a decent manager, but he's fucked around in the press for too long now. It looked as if he was always going to say "Oh aye, I'd pure love eh Scotland job, me" until it actually became available; and sadly that's sooner than he thought. He is a windbag at the moment, nothing more, and as k38jfb correctly points out, he really could have done better at Southampton anyway.

When will we ever learn. Another of the Largs mafia.

His time in the SPL means little. Lots of money and no opposition.

His time with the big boys down south showed how little he has to offer. Strange how other Clubs have not exactly been beating a path to his door to offer him work. It is also an interesting comparison to see how Everton have 'progressed' since he left and that is with even tighter financial restrictions.

Desperate times indeed.

Archived