Message Catcher

How come in the last couple of days I've started being bombarded with messages from the likes of Mandy123 on MSM's IM Catcher? They are bloody irritating and I've never had a problem with them up until the last couple of days.

I don't know where they come from, and ever since I updated to version 6.2 of Messenger they're just flooding in... :angry:

How come in the last couple of days I've started being bombarded with messages from the likes of Mandy123 on MSM's IM Catcher? They are bloody irritating and I've never had a problem with them up until the last couple of days.

I don't know where they come from, and ever since I updated to version 6.2 of Messenger they're just flooding in... :angry:

IM catcher?

It catches IM messages sent to you from "unknown users" and warns you about them.

There was a story about this recently, think it was on the msn page Jim, a new worm virus spreading through MSN ;)

My apologies, it was actually a post by Winston. Sorry for the wild goose chase :rolleyes:

Winston posted:

Just saw this on the Computer Buyer website...

"A new virus has been discovered that targets the MSN Messenger instant messaging application.

Funner.A has no destructive properties, although it will make a nuisance of itself by sending a copy of itself as funny.exe to all contacts found in the application.

Once run, it copies itself locally and makes Registry edits so that it continues to run in the background when the computer is restarted.

It also attempts to connect to hundreds of Asian language websites.

The arrival of Funner yesterday coincided with intermittent problems suffered by the MSN service as a whole over the weekend. But Microsoft responded that the two incidences are not related.

Security vendors have not rated Funner as a high threat. Certainly the outage of the MSN service will have hampered its progress. McAfee rates it a two out of seven on its threat level, and Symantec gave it two out of five. According to security company Secunia, Trend Micro was the first to identify the Funner worm.

Even so, the potential for worms spreading via instant messaging clients is great, due to the spontaneous nature of using it. Whereas most people will read email when they have the spare time to do so, instant messages demand an immediate response as the service works in real time. IM users are also more trusting as they assume that the exchange is between a known contact rather than an infected application."

Archived