Who's Going To Uni?

I've just finished first year mech eng at Edinburgh. Was in the same position as you before hand but I'm happy I went for engineering over maths. Just now I'd say the course is pretty similar to a maths course purely because we all have to learn the core stuff but I think they diverge greatly soon. I'd probably advise you to read some stuff online about the differences between mathematicians and engineers to make your own mind up about the differences.

Decisions, decisions. Out of intrest, can you remember the offer Edinburgh gave you to meet? (Unless unconditional of course).

I'm going into first year at Glasgow and they still haven't emailed me with the username and password to log into mycampus to enroll but I see others have already done it? Will I just phone and ask why I haven't been emailed yet?

Also wondering about this and I'm paranoid at the best of times tongue.gif

What course you doing?

Yeah it's the fact that some people appear to have been able to do it so some classes will fill up surely if they take ages to send us ours!

I'm doing Business and Management, you?

I was told login details would be emailed in due course but think I'll phone them for my own sanity if nothing else

History and Politics for me

I'm going into first year at Glasgow and they still haven't emailed me with the username and password to log into mycampus to enroll but I see others have already done it? Will I just phone and ask why I haven't been emailed yet?

Think they said first years were enrolling later in August. Good luck phoning them though laugh.gif

4 years of MyCampus fun awaits.

Nice one. My £500 savings and £900 from SAAS(c***s, absolute c***s btw. what the the actual f**k am I supposed to do with that piddly amount of money?) see me through. Easy living n' that.

SAAS are saying they aren't paying me anything this year because they overpaid two years ago. Needless to say, they have totally fucked up from the beginning, and I will be going through the phone in nightmare on Monday. Might even have to go to Edinburgh to see them in person.

Yeah it's the fact that some people appear to have been able to do it so some classes will fill up surely if they take ages to send us ours!

I'm doing Business and Management, you?

Gratuitously easy course. Especially in first year. I'm not saying don't go to lectures but, uh, you'll probably stop within two weeks. Bit harder second year.

Think they're in AH maths, I'm certain I heard the teacher mention them. Take it their a joy? :lol:

Yeah, they're horrendous. The main thing is having a 3x3 set of numbers and having to add and subtract them from each other to re-arrange it in a specific way and then finding some figures based on it.

It's torturous. There was so much of the material that had me thinking during the lectures, "where the f**k is this going to come in in the future?" Between this and the SQA Results thread, it seems that a lot of it isn't as useful as they make it seem.

SAAS are saying they aren't paying me anything this year because they overpaid two years ago. Needless to say, they have totally fucked up from the beginning, and I will be going through the phone in nightmare on Monday. Might even have to go to Edinburgh to see them in person.

Is it a necessity to phone them? I can remember fuckloads of people complaining on Facebook about the queues to get through to them. Is it just to appeal the original award?

It's more to ask why the f**k they are just making it up as they go along. I have always provided the full documentation they have requested so why did they get it wrong in year 2 and, apparently, year 3. WTF is wrong with them?

And if I get some money then, well, good.

SAAS got my award right first time this year. I was stunned.

Also, check the back of the award. £900 sounds like they might have given youthe minimum until they verfiy income. That or you're parents are quite well off and they expect them to make a contribution.

I kind of don't like how they do that. It means that effectively students from well off families have to remain dependents.

Yeah, they're horrendous. The main thing is having a 3x3 set of numbers and having to add and subtract them from each other to re-arrange it in a specific way and then finding some figures based on it.

It's torturous. There was so much of the material that had me thinking during the lectures, "where the f**k is this going to come in in the future?" Between this and the SQA Results thread, it seems that a lot of it isn't as useful as they make it seem.

Can't wait. :lol:

Decisions, decisions. Out of intrest, can you remember the offer Edinburgh gave you to meet? (Unless unconditional of course).

Got all unconditionals and don't remember even thinking about suggested entry requirements when I applied. Think it says you need AAAA but come to think of it everyone I know on my course got AAAAA and generally the people I know are towards the lower end of the class in terms of results this year.

Got all unconditionals and don't remember even thinking about suggested entry requirements when I applied. Think it says you need AAAA but come to think of it everyone I know on my course got AAAAA and generally the people I know are towards the lower end of the class in terms of results this year.

Is that in one year or over 5th and 6th year? :unsure: If the former, I'm fucked.

Is that in one year or over 5th and 6th year? :unsure: If the former, I'm fucked.

Me and my mates all got AAAAA in 5th year then got unconditionals so just basically got to piss about in 6th year. Just had a look at the prospectus for this year and the entry requirements are AAAA to ABBB in 5th year but I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that though.

Edited by ForzaDundee

Or, y'know, get a part time job.

True, although that can be very difficult.

Does put them in a potentially unfair position. Although there are bigger issues with students from poorer backgrounds struggling to get in at all.

Edited by Mushroom

Or, y'know, get a part time job.

Getting a part-time job in a city with a high student population is fucking hard, especially if you've come straight from school with no retail experience. I'm working as a volunteer while I keep looking for a paid job which means I'm pretty much dependent on my parents for rent and living costs while they have their own bills to pay and help my other sibling. I don't think my parent's situation should affect my entitlement to a bursary, but then again I might just be a bit bitter.

Me and my mates all got AAAAA in 5th year then got unconditionals so just basically got to piss about in 6th year. Just had a look at the prospectus for this year and the entry requirements are AAAA to ABBB in 5th year but I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that though.

Edinburgh said last year that you have to get greater than the lower grade requirements to have a chance of a conditional but, most of the applicants have grades closer to the higher end.