Who's Going To Uni?

To be fair Glasgow and Edinburgh are both full of that as well, though with Glasgow I think they might be doing it 'ironically' and as part of some strange hipster takeover.

Though any night out in the GUU (which I tried once, never to be repeated) had an unbelievable amount of privately educated chino wearing twats with a born to rule type arrogance permanently fixed on their face.

You probably went when the rugby club were in town. The GUU isn't normally like that.

You probably went when the rugby club were in town. The GUU isn't normally like that.

I went when the Hive was still a thing.

Only other times I've gone to the GUU is for a society I was secretary of. That had a general cross section of the uni, but they were in the GUU for our events rather than because they actually like the place.

My impressions of it from that night in the hive, plus that sexism row and general impression that it's a bit elitist put me off going.

The QMU isn't much better, full of emos and people who are far too 'right on pinko' for me to hang around too much.

Probably not no - quite often a mixed up and confused bunch though I find

You get near enough every type of clique in every school; I'll concede that the cliques in private schools are probably a bit more pronounced, but I'd say that's more down to the parenting rather than the schools.

I pretty much owe my school everything for what they did for me; I wasn't a confident child, and due to home circumstances I didn't really feel like I fitted in at a private school. Couple the home circumstances and the fact I got there on a bursary, I didn't mix in at first. The teaching style and the way they encouraged me to participate was brilliant though; it definitely helped me as a person.

I know I can't say this for certain, but if I went to another school I wouldn't be half the person I am today.

I went when the Hive was still a thing.

Only other times I've gone to the GUU is for a society I was secretary of. That had a general cross section of the uni, but they were in the GUU for our events rather than because they actually like the place.

My impressions of it from that night in the hive, plus that sexism row and general impression that it's a bit elitist put me off going.

The QMU isn't much better, full of emos and people who are far too 'right on pinko' for me to hang around too much.

The sexism row was, with the benefit of hindsight, completely overblown. It was an unacceptable incident but the truth of the matter is a bigger deal was made out of it simply because of the GUU's history as the last all-male student union in the UK. Since that incident there have been scandals relating to equally (sometimes more serious) incidents at (just off the top of my head) Durham, Warwick, Oxford, Edinburgh and Stirling. The GUU, meanwhile, has done quite a bit to clean up its act.

On the elitism front, I think people who perceive themselves as "the elite" probably do go to the GUU (because of what they perceive it to represent), but they're not the majority or dominant group, and I would say their influence has diminished significantly since I first came to Glasgow.

Not sure why WeeperDee is off on a Mandela style roll-call of acknowledgements; I very much doubt that a state school would have produced such a tragic character.

Edited by vikingTON

Where do all the stereotypes hang about in the Glasgow unions? Granted I don't spend much time in either of them but whenever I've been in I've never noticed either being full of a particular type of person.

The bar that isn't Champions bar (Jims Bar?) at the QM. Full of the Kurt Cobain (or whoever is cool these days) types who play Pokemon ironically and think saying 'waitress' or 'actress' whilst refering to a female waiter or actor is as bad as referring to a black person by the 'N' word. They tend to hog the Karaoke that they do there.

The GUU types at the 'beer bar' during iron stomach or GAMES or their pub quiz or Six Nations matches.

Guest honestrae95

I had the (dis)pleasure of watching one of these stupid iron stomach gatherings in the GUU a few months back, when out with my flatmates. It was the most harrowing thing I think I've ever set eyes on.

Forty rugby #LADS drinking lager with protein powder in them. Every single one of them should be castrated for such behaviour IMO.

The bar that isn't Champions bar (Jims Bar?) at the QM. Full of the Kurt Cobain (or whoever is cool these days) types who play Pokemon ironically and think saying 'waitress' or 'actress' whilst refering to a female waiter or actor is as bad as referring to a black person by the 'N' word. They tend to hog the Karaoke that they do there.

The GUU types at the 'beer bar' during iron stomach or GAMES or their pub quiz or Six Nations matches.

Yeah I think that is Jim's Bar. Only been in it once, during freshers week. Always seemed pretty deserted whenever I walked past but I guess it must liven up at night.

I've never been in the beer bar when there's been a rugby game or wacky competition on but I can imagine what it must be like. Imagine not only hosting an 'Iron Stomach' competition but actually proudly displaying the winners' names on the wall. Dearie me.

I always went to the QMU because it was across the road from the maths building, and never found the folk in there particularly strange or anything like that. On the odd occasion that I met folk in the GUU there was always at least one group of complete wanks in there.

Most private school kids are c***s

Not true!

Very true, in my opinion.

EDIT: I lost my VL to a burd who went to a private school. F*ckin' disastrous move from Forza.

Edited by forzamorton

Ended up with a First Class Honours pass in Management and have a job lined up when I return from NZ.

Not sure how I managed to bag a first given it looked miles off at Christmas but the hard work paid off nicely.

Congratulations to all fellow P&Bers graduating this year.

• 4 weeks later...