Who's Going To Uni?

Time flies. I first posted in this thread when I was about to start first year and at the time was planning on doing Politics and Italian. I'm now going into the fourth year of my course having switched to Geography and Italian, and I'll be spending this year at the University of Verona in Italy before coming back to do my honours year.

At Stirling Uni it seems extremely easy to completely change your degree , I'v no idea if other Uni's are the same but maybe its worth just trying to get into another course then ask to change to the course you prefer.

At Stirling Uni it seems extremely easy to completely change your degree , I'v no idea if other Uni's are the same but maybe its worth just trying to get into another course then ask to change to the course you prefer.

Yep, that was my thoughts too.

You could even do voluntary modules in the course you want in first year and make the switch seamlessly in second. Loads of people do it, including me.

It depends what you want to do, really. Certainly, with first and second year you end up doing various different modules, so after first or second year you can shift onto another pathway.

Obviously not like that for dentistry/medicine whatever.

Surely if there's space in the course I want to do, they should just let me in it rather than allowing me to change to it from another? Not arguing, you guys obviously know more than me but just seems strange. Cheers, will look into it ;)

Well, yeah, but why would you assume it makes any sense to begin with?

It would depend on what type of course you want to do, it might even help if you said, but say it's politics and you get accepted into History...you can still do Politics. In fact, I think most of the people I know didn't complete the course they started out doing and switched to something else at some point. Generally, you gravitate towards the easier subjects.

Well, yeah, but why would you assume it makes any sense to begin with?

It would depend on what type of course you want to do, it might even help if you said, but say it's politics and you get accepted into History...you can still do Politics. In fact, I think most of the people I know didn't complete the course they started out doing and switched to something else at some point. Generally, you gravitate towards the easier subjects.

Statistics mate

Statistics mate

Well, get into maths, economics accountancy or something, do a statistics module (the done thing for those subjects) then keep doing statistics and casually drop everything else.

I think most Scottish unis would allow this kind of thing, but you should obviously check. You could even get a famous P&B poster as your statistics tutor.

Think carefully before going to Uni is my advice.

I'm still deciding if it was 4 years of my life wasted or a good experience.

It's not an achievement these days. Every c**t and their dug go to Uni.

Aye I know, still not 100% sure I'm going but at the moment I'm sitting on my arse doing f**k all so need to find something soon, and with the unemployment rate as high as it is I'm not going to find much in terms of any half-decent paying work.

Well, get into maths, economics accountancy or something, do a statistics module (the done thing for those subjects) then keep doing statistics and casually drop everything else.

I think most Scottish unis would allow this kind of thing, but you should obviously check. You could even get a famous P&B poster as your statistics tutor.

Is that what you do? :lol:

Would I still have to do some maths, economics etc if I choose that course? How long will it be before all I'm doing is stats?

I hate maths.

Edited by Akpo Sodje

Which uni are you applying for? Assuming it's Glasgow since you said you wanted to do Statistics, and we're the only ones who offer that.

If that is the case, then if you can get into any science course at all, you'll have no problems moving across to statistics.

Which uni are you applying for? Assuming it's Glasgow since you said you wanted to do Statistics, and we're the only ones who offer that.

If that is the case, then if you can get into any science course at all, you'll have no problems moving across to statistics.

Anywhere closest to Edinburgh, although getting the train to Glasgow would be manageable. Although I doubt Glasgow would accept me. Is there no other unis in Scotland that do statistics? :o

Anywhere closest to Edinburgh, although getting the train to Glasgow would be manageable. Although I doubt Glasgow would accept me. Is there no other unis in Scotland that do statistics? :o

Glasgow is the only uni in Scotland which offers a standalone statistics degree as far as I know.

You can certainly study statistics in most other universities, but they would be part of a maths degree. Even at Glasgow, you would have to do maths for 2 years to be able to go on to do statistics.

Think carefully before going to Uni is my advice.

I'm still deciding if it was 4 years of my life wasted or a good experience.

It's not an achievement these days. Every c**t and their dug go to Uni.

^^^ Caley, Third Class Honours