Who's Going To Uni?

For each course (certainly the ones I teach) it is expected that students do at least 10 hours a week. That includes 4 hours of face-to-face teaching time, and the remainder independent studying. A lot of students just don't get that the class time is supposed to be the tip of the iceberg. To get a good grade, you need to do a lot more work and demonstrate that.

Not really. You did to give the impression you study a lot. Not that you actually study a lot.

For a 2,500 word essay I would start in early and chip in with a bibliography of around 10 pages. Did I read 60+ books? Did I read the chapters of 60+ books? f**k no, I had a fairly good idea of what I wanted to say and just typed it into google books, then found a suitable book to quote.

The same idea applies to exams, a basic understanding of the course content combined with a list of quotes or ideas from journal articles (recommended by the lecturer) and if use 2, 3 per exam you're looking at an A.

My laziest year, by far, was 4th year because by that time I knew exactly what I needed to do to get grades and I got straight As from it. Didn't really begin working till I got my job offer in February. Dissertation was mostly done by October.

Looking back, it was fucking easy being a full time student.

Anyone recommend a good site for doing surveys, probably going to just use survey monkey, but I think that limits you to the number of questions you can have.

Ohh and if anyone fancies answering a questionnaire on building management systems get in touch, I'll send it on to you. :P (preferably if you're in the construction/engineering industry. :lol:)

The delights of fourth year continue. Turns out for one of our modules, the coursework has run into various problems.

The question doesn't appear to have been externally approved, the coursework requirements were unreasonable given the relatively low word count, it wasn't anonymously marked nor double marked, we all received generic feedback and there wasn't enough "peer reviewed" sources due to the very live nature of the topic. All this amongst other things.

Anyway, to cut a long story short we've a meeting next week with the Dean, must be about 50 students involved. I've got absolutely no idea what the outcome of this is going to be. Given it is important for our degree classifications, it's a real worry.

Has anyone had similar experience before or experience of this from an academic standpoint? What are the likely outcomes?

Bloody layabout arts students. :P

Over 15 hours per week purely in terms of lectures/labs/tutorials without including independent study wasn't at all unusual for medical science subjects.

I have 20+ taught hours per week which is a monumental waste of time. Never learn a thing in lectures/labs/tutorials but go anyway.

Unsure why he got voted in. An absentee rector isn't any use to anyone. It must be a political statement, but I had no idea people cared so much. Either that or people decided just to vote for the famous bloke.

He got almost half of the first preference votes as well.

Decided against commenting this on facebook as I have nothing to do with the University any more.

I hadn't heard of the other candidates though, so will assume they are nobodies (particularly the church guy) and had it been anyone but Snowden, nobody would have cared.

The overwhelming majority of students will have no idea what the rector does, and will assume (rightly or wrongly) they do nothing anyway. That said, I asked the previous incumbent for some help about something and he was a great help. Much moreso than my MP, the b*****d. That's unusual though, and most people will have no contact with the rector whoever he is.

I would have voted for Snowden, and would have accepted a letter of support from him to the government is more likely to get me put under surveillance than be of any help.

Fixed that for you; hence why the usual loser undergraduates opted for a 'political statement'.

It seems like an odd statement to make. With Winnie Mandela and the Israeli whistle-blower it sort of made sense, Glasgow has a lot of left-wing students and the anti-Israel thing is popular here. I've not been aware of any great anti-government intrusion groups having much popularity on campus. All the main political clubs, across the political spectrum, from Labour to Tory and even the Yes and Better Together societies, favoured other candidates.

Only folk handing out Edward Snowden leaflets seemed to be odd looking men who wouldn't look out of place at a 9/11 truth meeting.

It's a complete fucking joke. It's not the Rector we need but it's sure as hell the one we deserve.

Now, instead of having a student rep chairing the Senate and having some sort of direct influence on decision-making, we will have a Principal-appointed chair to fill the gaps and no formal representation to support the SRC. World class.

Muscatelli must be rubbing his hands with glee at the increase in his salary that has just got a lot easier to pass.

Anyone that's done accounting would you say you're expected to know everything in jobs after or can you shitefest your way through the course and just learn on the job when you start working?

I did the bare minimum (i.e shitfest) to get through my accountancy degree at Glasgow. In terms of jobs I think it depends of you plan on going down the trainee CA route with an accountancy firm as they will expect a lot more knowledge etc from your course than say starting at the bottom somewhere as an Accounts Assistant like I did.

Where the Uni experience can come in handy if you go down that route is the early stages of ACCA or CIMA exams if you plan on doing them.

It's a complete fucking joke. It's not the Rector we need but it's sure as hell the one we deserve.

Now, instead of having a student rep chairing the Senate and having some sort of direct influence on decision-making, we will have a Principal-appointed chair to fill the gaps and no formal representation to support the SRC. World class.

Muscatelli must be rubbing his hands with glee at the increase in his salary that has just got a lot easier to pass.

What did the Rector do to stop pay increases, exactly?

Who would have done better in a board capacity, the cyclist, the church guy or the author? What's their experience in this field?

What did the Rector do to stop pay increases, exactly?

Who would have done better in a board capacity, the cyclist, the church guy or the author? What's their experience in this field?

The Rector is the Chair of court. They have provided liason support for, among other groups, the UCU and SRC in raising awareness and organising criticism of the exorbitant increases in remuneration for University management, while support staff receive a real terms cut in their wages. Lose that influence, and all you have is an SRC lackey voicing student dissent. Edinburgh's Rector has had a real influence in his last 2 years constraining the worst excesses of their management. We need one to do the same.

Journalism. Best place to study it? Shoot, cuntos.

Wherever does a good English course. Certainly, when I was looking at heading more towards journalism, the chaps I spoke to at DC Thomson said that they rarely take journalism graduates on, and look more for English/Humanities grads.

Alternatively, get in at a local paper and learn yourself shorthand.

The Rector is the Chair of court. They have provided liason support for, among other groups, the UCU and SRC in raising awareness and organising criticism of the exorbitant increases in remuneration for University management, while support staff receive a real terms cut in their wages. Lose that influence, and all you have is an SRC lackey voicing student dissent. Edinburgh's Rector has had a real influence in his last 2 years constraining the worst excesses of their management. We need one to do the same.

This is pretty much it for me. When folk start rolling out the 'rectors are largely ceremonial' line I start flinching, as rectors are largely ceremonial because people vote in ceremonial candidates... If you pick someone that does nothing, then you're losing a court member who represents students. If you want to make some sort of political statement, give Snowden an Hon Grad.

Wherever does a good English course. Certainly, when I was looking at heading more towards journalism, the chaps I spoke to at DC Thomson said that they rarely take journalism graduates on, and look more for English/Humanities grads.

Alternatively, get in at a local paper and learn yourself shorthand.

Most folk I know who went into journalism did it as a joint degree or as a post-grad after something else.

journalism is one of these industries where your degree is probably less important than practical experince - hammer the student paper, local paper or whatever for the experince through the degree

Doesn't really answer either of my questions, though.

Had it been a choice between Charles Kennedy and Edward Snowden, it would have been a no brainer, but in this race it was a choice between Snowden and three equally unqualified candidates. Granted they would have been present, but I'm not sure how they would have been even remotely effective.

And as I said, did the Rector ever stop the principal from getting a wage increase?