Who's Going To Uni?

I wouldn't be surprised. I've looked into it a bit this week, and it is something I believe would be fairly interesting.

My dissertation deadline is the 17th April. I've got around 2000 words so far for my literature review, but had to put it on the back burner for the time being as I've got a 3500 word essay due next week.

My supervisor wants a final, lock, stock lit review to be submitted by the 31st of January, but also expects the vast majority of the methodology to be completed by the 21st of January. And I've got an exam on the 17th of January.

I miss third year.

The last week of my Senior Honours year I wrote 30,000 words! Two essays and my dissertation. I'd researched my dissertation pretty thoroughly and read loads but I hadn't actually got round to writing much and I scrubbed what I had and started again anyway. It was pretty stressful, working furious 16 hour shifts in the uni library but I think I actually produce better work under pressure so it probably worked out for the best.

I actually handed my dissertation in two days early because I had a great fear that the paper copies would spontaneously combust, all my various burned discs and flash drives would be wiped by mysterious magnetic waves from outer space and that I'd fall down a well and go undiscovered until after the submission date.

General question here. Is do employers really care about the difference between a First and a 2.1?

Depends on what sort of job your going for - 2.1 is the minimum for a lot of grad schemes.

I rememberwhen I was at Uni about 4 years ago there was astat doing the rounds that people with 2.1's outearned people with firsts, although this was chalked up to firsts staying in academia as they clearly excelled at it.

I'm in the middle of mine right now (in statistics). I find it interesting - I get to explore the subject a bit more and also make my own contribution. My current plan is to go into research or some other form of academic work so it's obviously very useful to me as a result. There is a lot less actual research involved in mine (in terms of trawling libraries or reading books) - the bulk of my work involves developing new methodology so I basically come up with ideas then test them out. When I find one that works I plough ahead with it. Most of it is done on my computer so I have the luxury of being able to work from home.

I reckon this is probably fairly different from the general PhD experience for most people though.

A phd in statistics sounds like the worst thing ever

Am I right in saying you're doing Politics at Strathclyde? Last year I was only finishing my first draft of the literature review in January and had met my supervisor twice, f**k having the whole thing done by then!

You are right. IIRC, they said something about student feedback insisting on an earlier deadline for revision and shit.

Just had my politics 2A exam there. Think it went well. Sitting on a B3 for my essay and at least a high B for my seminar presentation so hoping for a solid enough overall mark

History next week which is the one I want to focus on and pursue at honours. Very pissed off at myself with how I've set myself up for it. Just got an A3 for my presentation which would have been great if I hadn't ballsed up my essay with a C3. Got halfway through and realised I'd be better answering another question but by which point it was too late

Hoping for a B in that anyway as honours entry is stricter than politics

General question here. Is do employers really care about the difference between a First and a 2.1?

I'd actually say yes, in the sense that it's an extremely competitive job market and even small differentiations can have a big impact on employability.

It isn't enough in isolation, but nothing is.

The unlikelihood of me getting a graduate job is scaring me into applying for postgrad/masters courses. I quite fancy the look of the Creative Advertising masters course at Napier. Has anyone here done a masters at Napier who could give me any insight to what its like?

I decided to do a comparative literature module this semester, just for something a bit different. Regretting it considerably. Every non-English language novel seems to be existentialist or post-modern, up its own arse, shite. Exam is tomorrow, essentially think I'll be spending a couple of hours writing about Kierkegaard and Sartre more than any of the authors.

Should have stuck with Scottish literature, when Scott writes about Jacobites he is actually talking about Jacobites rather than delving into the essence of man through the actions of an impoverished murderer in 19 century Spain.

Had my Psychology 2A Paper 1 today. The definition of a disaster exam for me. Everything I was hoping would come up didn't appear so terrible really. I've got a B3 for the coursework which is 50% and Friday is a paper on the stats part of Psychology which should be a bit better and is worth 10%. If you fail an exam, but pass the overall course, you don't have to resit do you?

Guest honestrae95

Had my Psychology 2A Paper 1 today. The definition of a disaster exam for me. Everything I was hoping would come up didn't appear so terrible really. I've got a B3 for the coursework which is 50% and Friday is a paper on the stats part of Psychology which should be a bit better and is worth 10%. If you fail an exam, but pass the overall course, you don't have to resit do you?

Think it depends on your course, but don't quote me on that one.

Just out of my final exam (Criminal Law) and I think it went ok. It's kinda difficult to really know what they're looking for because they don't give you model answers or that to help you prepare. Fingers crossed I'll have passed. Anything more is a bonus, the same applies to Obligations. I can't be arsed resitting in August.

I've got golf to play then! :)

Had history 2A today. Thought it went really well, all the questions I wanted came up. Public policy 1A tomorrow, only a filler subject and with history today I've done next to no studying. Just hoping for a pass

Forgot to return a fuckin short term loan book though so currently being fined 50p an hour til it's returned :(

The unlikelihood of me getting a graduate job is scaring me into applying for postgrad/masters courses. I quite fancy the look of the Creative Advertising masters course at Napier. Has anyone here done a masters at Napier who could give me any insight to what its like?

As an aside from this, has anyone here studied in the US/Canada? I really regret not doing a semester there last year and I'm considering looking into the possibility of applying for a postgrad course across the Atlantic. Funding would be the biggest drawback however. Has anyone had any experience of getting funding for these types of courses?

As an aside from this, has anyone here studied in the US/Canada? I really regret not doing a semester there last year and I'm considering looking into the possibility of applying for a postgrad course across the Atlantic. Funding would be the biggest drawback however. Has anyone had any experience of getting funding for these types of courses?

I am currently putting thought into doing the opposite. I'm about a year from finishing my undergrad, but a postgraduate course is definitely something I am considering. For a number of different reasons I would like to look into universities in other countries. Does anyone have any university information or advice for a potential international student in Scotland? My undergraduate degree will be in economics and international affairs. I would imagine any postgrad work I do will be of a similar subject.

• 4 weeks later...

More strikes about to begin. This is getting very frustrating. One of my modules only has three hours of actual teaching time a week, and two of those hours I'm going to lose due to the strike action (tomorrow and on Tuesday next week). As a self-funded student I feel I'm not getting the teaching I've paid for. I'm the class rep for that module so I'm in a good place to at least put forward my frustrations, but there is little that us, ordinary students, who have no control over staff pay, can do.

More strikes about to begin. This is getting very frustrating. One of my modules only has three hours of actual teaching time a week, and two of those hours I'm going to lose due to the strike action (tomorrow and on Tuesday next week). As a self-funded student I feel I'm not getting the teaching I've paid for. I'm the class rep for that module so I'm in a good place to at least put forward my frustrations, but there is little that us, ordinary students, who have no control over staff pay, can do.

It is quite annoying, I agree.

I had the marking for some of my coursework delayed because of all this shite.