Who's Going To Uni?

Oh, you're one of them :rolleyes: ... ;):lol: . Fair enough. Will it be 3 years; or will you end up dragging on interminably...?

I'm funded for 3, but can take 4 if I manage to support myself for another year.

However, I suspect that if I'm not done in 3, my supervisor won't allow me to live long enough to see out 4 :lol:

I tried to send a follow-up message to the one sent on Friday, but your box is full (if you'll pardon the expression). In a nutshell - 'twas the drink talking :ph34r:

You realise that will haunt you for years now! :lol:

I'm going beyond Masters...in three years time, thou shalt all kneel before me and call me "Doctor" :king Or something...

Sounds like newbie optimism. You'll learn. There is no hope.

You realise that will haunt you for years now! :lol:

Meh... :unsure:

Sounds like newbie optimism. You'll learn. There is no hope.

Well, I'm studying an area that I enjoy (AI) and am surrounded by good people, so I'm hoping it goes beyond that ;)

Meh... :unsure:

Trust me man, I've learnt the hard way. There are posters that have a catalogue of my posts archived for immediate recall. I expect you wouldn't have witnessed me at my drunken worst, you weren't there. :ph34r:

Well, I'm studying an area that I enjoy (AI) and am surrounded by good people, so I'm hoping it goes beyond that ;)

I used to enjoy this area. You'll hate the area soon, you'll find the good people turn bad, and you'll want to get out of academia and never read another fucking IEEE journal paper again. You should canvass PhD opinions from other posters too. Ask Renton what he thinks!

Trust me man, I've learnt the hard way. There are posters that have a catalogue of my posts archived for immediate recall. I expect you wouldn't have witnessed me at my drunken worst, you weren't there. :ph34r:

I used to enjoy this area. You'll hate the area soon, you'll find the good people turn bad, and you'll want to get out of academia and never read another fucking IEEE journal paper again. You should canvass PhD opinions from other posters too. Ask Renton what he thinks!

This man he speak the truth. This maxim hold true for most PG research; M degrees -my experience- as well as PhD's. It sucks the very life force from your flesh. You end up a shell of your former self, what used to drive and enthuse now turns your stomach and makes you recoil at the very idea. If your lucky, you end up working in retail for some years before deciding to return. But that said, it'll be great. Enjoy :)

Guest Garibaldi

Well ladies and gentleman, after 2 months of doing no work and going to no lectures, the moment has finally caught up with me as I have my first essay due in tommorow, which I haven't really started. It's to be 1500 words, and the question is this:

a) What are the main causes of child poverty in the UK today? - 30 marks.

b) What has the government done to alleviate child poverty? - 30 marks.

c) How successful have they been in adressing child poverty? - 40 marks.

Now whilst that doesn't sound too bad, it's an economics essay. Any economics lecture or seminar I've attended so far involves lots of graphs and diagrams. Whilst I could smash out 1500 words on this subject I still would have no idea when I'm finished how far out of my depth I am.

Any economics students with any general advise would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

P.S I never chose economics, just a side subject I have to do as part of marketing till January.

Well ladies and gentleman, after 2 months of doing no work and going to no lectures, the moment has finally caught up with me as I have my first essay due in tommorow, which I haven't really started. It's to be 1500 words, and the question is this:

Any economics students with any general advise would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

What I'd advice you to do is to have gone to some classes and done some work.

:lol:

Anyway, as an essay question thats not too bad, you already have a clear plan in place - as for graphs/stats etc, well i think it'd be fairly obvious what to include.

Although i should perhaps point out that my knowledges of Economics is pretty much Freakonomics.

Edited by banterman86

Politics Essay handed in today. In truth 1500 words doesn't do the subject any justice at all. Not even enough to mention a lot of important points without sacrificing on analysis..

It's in though, and apart from the grade, I couldn't give a f**k about it any more.

Roll on the December Exam Diet 8)

a) What are the main causes of child poverty in the UK today? - 30 marks.

b) What has the government done to alleviate child poverty? - 30 marks.

c) How successful have they been in adressing child poverty? - 40 marks.

Now whilst that doesn't sound too bad, it's an economics essay. Any economics lecture or seminar I've attended so far involves lots of graphs and diagrams. Whilst I could smash out 1500 words on this subject I still would have no idea when I'm finished how far out of my depth I am.

P.S I never chose economics, just a side subject I have to do as part of marketing till January.

No immediate economics diagrams are jumping out at me but some graphs from google might be worthwhile. Find someone else in your class who has done work and collaborate with them.

^

My politics essay barely made 1500 words.

Edited by Supras

Guest Garibaldi
No immediate economics diagrams are jumping out at me but some graphs from google might be worthwhile. Find someone else in your class who has done work and collaborate with them.

^

My politics essay barely made 1500 words.

Cheers Supras.

My flatmate is doing the same essay and hasn't started, but her economics knowledge is similiar to mine so a wee collaboaration would be pretty pointless.

Going down the Spar later to buy some Red Bulls. Might be a long old night.

Edited by Garibaldi

Guest Garibaldi

Cheers matey, I think I left my time machine on the bus though. :(

:lol:

Anyway, as an essay question thats not too bad, you already have a clear plan in place - as for graphs/stats etc, well i think it'd be fairly obvious what to include.

Although i should perhaps point out that my knowledges of Economics is pretty much Freakonomics.

Yeah the essay question seems quite straightforward, which is making me nervous. :lol:

The likely outcome is that I'll create 1500 words of what I think is good, then discover I may as well have shat on a piece of paper and applied the glitter for extra marks. Tbh if I do well at uni it's a shocking sign of the university system.

Indeed, he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

If your project doesn't mature quickly you'll find yourself dragged down into a pit of despair and depression. trying to get things done in academia is the equivalent of pulling teeth, and you won't get it done in three years, i think I've only ever seen one person do that! One guy in my office was at it for eight years. Got his viva and was so fucked off with his work that he jacked it and joined the polis.

As Xbass says, whatever you think of it now, you certainly will feel less well disposed a year on from now.....

I am sitting in a computer lab behind 4 first year University of Edinburgh students, who are doing an E-project which requires them to identify countries on a blank (i.e unlabelled) map. So far gems have included "is Albania in Africa?" / "Ecuador - isn't that near South Africa" / "Czechoslovakia used to be part of Serbia I think?" / or possibly the best of all "is Equatorial Ghana [sic] near Spain?" . Undergraduates FFS. Take a good look at yourselves folks. Seriously.

Being complete and utter fucknuggets probably has more to do with it than being undergraduates.

Guest Garibaldi

I now realise that tanning my way through obscene amounts of Red Bull is not the way forward when it comes to spending hours on end writing an essay. If I'm not too alert to concentrate I'm too drowsy, not good. I'll no doubt have dreams when I finally finish this b*****d at about 4am tonight about flesh eating nazi zombie clown's or something like that.

800 down, 700 to go. :(

I am sitting in a computer lab behind 4 first year University of Edinburgh students, who are doing an E-project which requires them to identify countries on a blank (i.e unlabelled) map. So far gems have included "is Albania in Africa?" / "Ecuador - isn't that near South Africa" / "Czechoslovakia used to be part of Serbia I think?" / or possibly the best of all "is Equatorial Ghana [sic] near Spain?" . Undergraduates FFS. Take a good look at yourselves folks. Seriously.

While it's possible these people are complete morons, there's a chance this is a remnant from when they were at school, where it's "cool" to play dumb; or rather, it's "un-cool" to say you know the answers.