Who's Going To Uni?

Hello. I want to do something to do with gaming at Uni next year, so I'm researching my options. I know Abertay is the best, but I've just been looking at Glasgow Caley's site and they offer a Games Design course too. So I was wondering if anyone who goes to Caley knows how good it is etc, as i haven't had a look around yet.

Cheers.

Didn't you say you got 5 As last year? Don't waste your time with computer gaming as your Uni course!

Didn't you say you got 5 As last year? Don't waste your time with computer gaming as your Uni course!

Why not if that's what he's interested in...?

My friend got 5 As and she went to college instead of university because she thought the course looked more interesting.

Edited by Zanetti

But it's what interests me most! :unsure:

Now you've made made me unsure, damn you! :angry:

f**k off, if that's what he's interested in, that's what he should do.

Education snobs really irk me. It's like we should all be lawyers or doctors because we got good grades :rolleyes:

If you're after a Computer Games course, Abertay is your only place.

I don't really want to go to Dundee, tbh. No offence lads. :whistle:

Education snobs really irk me. It's like we should all be lawyers or doctors because we got good grades :rolleyes:

Thank you. :P

I don't really want to go to Dundee, tbh. No offence lads. :whistle:

To be honest, the places that do computer games tend to be post-1992 institutions, or other such places that tend to be away from the mainstream.

But if you have on your CV a BSc (Hons) in Computer Games Development from the University of Abertay, its reputation in that field will negate any preconceptions about its status as a "new university".

I don't think the same could be said about other institutions.

Edited by The Master

To be honest, the places that do computer games tend to be post-1992 institutions, or other such places that tend to be away from the mainstream.

But if you have on your CV a BSc (Hons) in Computer Games Development from the University of Abertay, its reputation in that field will negate any preconceptions about its status as a "new university".

I don't think the same could be said about other institutions.

I've been to Abertay and it looks pretty nice, but that's only one of the factors you have to consider when choosing what uni to go to, i.e. it's location. It is a long journey for me from Stirling, while Glasgow is obviously much shorter. And I just prefer Glasgow really, for various reasons, but I'll certainly need to give it some thought.

I don't really want to go to Dundee, tbh. No offence lads. :whistle :

For a computer games specific course, Abertay is really the only top option, and Dundee really isn't that bad.

I've been to Abertay and it looks pretty nice, but that's only one of the factors you have to consider when choosing what uni to go to, i.e. it's location. It is a long journey for me from Stirling, while Glasgow is obviously much shorter. And I just prefer Glasgow really, for various reasons, but I'll certainly need to give it some thought.

There is very little difference in distance. Both take about an hour on the train, and its not like you'll be commuting!

Edited by Lord Xbass of Lichtie

Well live in halls, then :P

Well live in halls, then :P

That is a possibility. But it's still in Dundee. :lol:

Anyway, I'm just pondering one's options... anyone know other uni's that do similar courses other than Abertay and Glasgow Caley? :)

You'd be surprised at just how short the journey to Dundee is. On the train, it's just short of an hour, and only stops two or three times. There's very little difference between Dundee and Glasgow, in terms of travelling.

There are plenty of misconceptions about Dundee, but everyone I know who goes to Uni there loves it.

Go to Abertay!

You may think Glasgow is better than Dundee but you'll likely hate both within weeks of starting.

Abertay is the place to go for that particular course so the only advice I can give you is go there.

Settle petal...

I'm convinced his talents could be better applied elsewhere. That doesn't mean he has to be a doctor or a lawyer; there are many other potentially lucrative career paths available to him which demand a higher pre-requisite intellectual ability than computer gaming. If he only really wants to do computer gaming, fair enough, but there are clearly other options open to him, which would be foolish to dismiss just because of an innate interest in gaming.

I'm convinced his talents could be better applied elsewhere. That doesn't mean he has to be a doctor or a lawyer; there are many other potentially lucrative career paths available to him which demand a higher pre-requisite intellectual ability than computer gaming.

Two points:

1) Computer games programming commands high calibre individuals. You don't only need to know how to program in low-level languages, but there's shit-loads of maths involved as well.

2) Computer games is one of the most lucrative paths you can get on; not only does the industry itself have a skills shortage, but the degree also shows high levels of ability in maths and computer programming as two separate disciplines

Two points:

1) Computer games programming commands high calibre individuals. You don't only need to know how to program in low-level languages, but there's shit-loads of maths involved as well.

2) Computer games is one of the most lucrative paths you can get on; not only does the industry itself have a skills shortage, but the degree also shows high levels of ability in maths and computer programming as two separate disciplines

Fair points, though wouldn't it perhaps be better to do a computing science based degree? I don't profess to know a lot about it, but I'd have thought that would have covered a broader base while still leaving the computer gaming option open.

Whilst it is a potentially lucrative path, I wouldn't think that a vast number of people make it onto really serious money (it seems a pretty cut-throat market from what I've seen and read). I suppose if he's competing with people who have taken it out of lack of choices rather than specific preference he'll be at an advantage, though.