Windows Xp Shutdown

It won't shut down at all? Strange. Mine does something similar in that it sometimes take a lot longer to shut down than normal but that is normally because there are background programmes running that haven't finished shutting down before I try to turn off the computer.

You could try one of the Microsoft community sites?

Have you tried booting into safe mode and seeing if that will shut down properly. Then boot into the normal desktop and see if it will allow you to shut down then?

Have you installed any new software recently?

Went into safe mode. Couldn't find a command for reboot. Typed Exit and it restarted my pc. Still won't shut down properly.

I have enstalled loads of new software recently. I thiunk the latest winxp update is responsible.

you might need to unistsall it or go back to a system restore point before you installed the update.

Just noticed that my pc has downloaded an update to service pack 2. hope mine shuts down :o

Guest The_Hedge

Right now, instead of the screen where it says "It is now safe to shut your computer down"...instead it just comes up with a black screen but it shuts off ok... :blink:

Is that normal?

Archived