Shinty

thejailender

Belated shinty is back post.

League looking fairly competitive at the moment.

I'm ditching ict v utd to go to newtonmore v kingussie on Saturday, both teams going along well So expect a good game.

Throw up changed to 14.30.

Cheers for that. Shinty on the Saturday and the Gorms on the Sunday. It's what weekends were made for

I ended up in Newtonmore on Friday night, took in the seconds game, 'More won 5-0 at a canter. Evening games are great between local sides over the summer. Went up Speyside on the malt whisky trail Saturday, so didn't see the first team game.

5-2 newtonmore. Weird game with nothing much going on in first half until newtonmore scored three in the last few minutes. Rattled in a couple more soon after the half and then kingussie woke up. Fairly decent crowd , I would have said maybe 300-400. Such a stunning setting for a game too.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to a few games so far this season and hoping to get to more over the summer. Was impressed when I saw Lovat early in the season and looking forward to their repeat MacTavish Cup final against Glenurquhart next month. Kyles and Inveraray in the Celtic Society Cup final the week after should be good too, always an event when they play. Both those games live on BBC Alba.

Cracking Camanachd Cup tie in prospect this weekend also at Tighnabruaich, Kyles and Newtonmore in what was the final last year.

Edited by Waspie

I'm hoping to get off to Tighnabruaich on Saturday. First game of season for me - a three-hour drive awaits! But I have a new car to break in, so it should be fun.

Expecting to be ravenous when I get through - any tips for lunch venues??

Next game will then be cup final in Glasgow.

I'm hoping to get off to Tighnabruaich on Saturday. First game of season for me - a three-hour drive awaits! But I have a new car to break in, so it should be fun.

Expecting to be ravenous when I get through - any tips for lunch venues??

Next game will then be cup final in Glasgow.

The Creggans in Strachur is great if you fancy a stop there before doing the final stretch to Tighnabruaich! If you're looking for a place down there then I believe the Royal Hotel is good and strong links with shinty down the years.

Should be a really good match. Newtonmore not expecting many of the players that missed last week's game to be back apparently but that didn't stop them winning the first game. Kyles at home in the Camanachd Cup though, they will be very hard to beat.

Mon the Skye!!!

Good chance to get into the last 8 today. Away to a team in a higher league Bute Bute are 0 from 4 and Skye 5 from 5.

I'm too young to remember Skye winning it, I reckon seeing Skye in the cup final would be up there with seeing United.

Kilmallie 4 - 0 Ballachulish 1:30PM

May 31 Bute 0 - 3 Skye 2:30PM

May 31 Kyles Athletic 2 - 1 Newtonmore 2:30PM

May 31 Beauly 0 - 1 Kinlochshiel 2:30PM

May 31 Lochaber 3 - 5 Glenurquhart 2:30PM

May 31 Fort William 7 - 3 Caberfeidh 2:30PM

Yaaaaasssss !!!

5 premiership teams out now the quarters look really interesting. Kyles must fancy going all the way this year now but Glenurqhuart doing better in the league.

Great win for Kyles with the goal at the death shortly after Newtonmore looked to have got the replay. I had a feeling Kyles would do it, they are so strong at home in the cup games. Will be interested to hear Le Tout's take on the game!

Definitely leaves the cup looking very open. Another Premier team will go out next week in the Lovat v Kingussie tie although you would have to fancy Inveraray to beat Inverness in the last game of the round. Really good point for Inveraray against Lovat in the league today - and a wee consolation for Newtonmore :)

Edited by Waspie

Quarter final line up for the camanachd cup

Glenurquhart v Inverness or Inveraray

Kinlochshiel v Fort William

Lovat or Kingussie v Kyles Athletic

Skye v Kilmallie

Home draw for Skye v a non prem team gives us a wee chance. Tbh they all look like cracking fixtures. Having previously announced Kyles as favourites I think they have a tough draw whoever they get.

Highlights here of Kingussie beating Lovat 2-1 in the Camanachd Cup on Saturday;

Great win for Kingussie but quite a finish with Lovat getting a goal back in the 90th minute then almost stealing a draw. I watched Inveraray beat Inverness 6-1. Inverness battled very well, particularly when they were missing a couple of their best men up front, but Inveraray were in cruise control really and but for some great goalkeeping they would have had a few more.

Some great quarter finals to come and with two more Premier teams definately going out it's very open indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Live shinty on alba this afternoon in the mactavish cup final. A repeat of last year's final with glenurquhart taking on lovat.

Like last year I reckon it's a coin toss and could go all the way.

Should be plenty of interest in the badenoch derby in the junior cup final before it too.