George Graham For Manager

Guest Captain Sensible

I'd like Sam Allerdyce, but I think he'd be too expensive. Sir Bobby Robson, or would his nationality rule him out? Dick Advocaat? Too expensive?[/quite]

I wouldn't mind seeing Allardyce either. I take it you're joking with the other two, though? :P

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robson *might* be OK but it's a major risk, granted he might do better without the prima donnas he had to deal with at his last post.

Advocaat, sorry, I just don't rate anymore. Trouble seems to follow him, he seems eager to play favourites everywhere he goes, and he can't cement team spirit at all. Tactically he's not a superstar - merely decent. And while decent might be an improvement on Vogts, the last thing we need is a poor man-manager in charge. If Scotland ever lose team spirit, that's it for us, coz let's face it, what else do we have?

Robson *might* be OK but it's a major risk, granted he might do better without the prima donnas he had to deal with at his last post.

Advocaat, sorry, I just don't rate anymore. Trouble seems to follow him, he seems eager to play favourites everywhere he goes, and he can't cement team spirit at all. Tactically he's not a superstar - merely decent. And while decent might be an improvement on Vogts, the last thing we need is a poor man-manager in charge. If Scotland ever lose team spirit, that's it for us, coz let's face it, what else do we have?

Robson - too old. Beginning to get a bit senile.

Advocaat - Found out and hounded out by Martin O'Neill - not good enough. If you thinking Berti did some whining about the talent at his disposal imagine how much greetin' the Little Private would do.

It looks like its going to be Walter Smith, and in about 3-4 games we will still be struggling and everyone will get on his back.

Yes we cant afford to give a huge salary like 500k a year that Capn was suggesting to get G Graham, but no we cant afford to just give him a short term contract, the problems we have justnow wont take just a couple of years to sort, no matter whos the manager.

Guest Bhoys67

George Bush might be looking for a new career job? But being serious for the moment George Graham would be the perfect fit for the Scotland job, as long as the supporters have a bit of patience,that they didn't give Berti. Changing

managers is one thing but the players will remain and they are the ones not performing up to their best. will the new manager bring in a slew of new players

and start from scratch?

Guest Captain Sensible
George Graham also doesn't have any experience of managing an international team, so I don't see how your statement is relevant.

And if George Graham doesn't want the job, I'd give it to Lou Macari.

My statement was made in response to your statement that Smith hadn't had any experience of English football and that was why he had failed at Everton! I responded by saying that Smith doesn't have any experience of international football either.

Therefore if my statement isn't relevant - then neither is yours!!

If Smith failed in England because he didn't know English football, does that mean that you are saying in advance that he will fail with Scotland because he doesn't know international football?

At least Smith knows the Scottish players and brought in Scottish players while he was at Rangers and Everton. Where were Graham's Scottish players at Millwall, Arsenal, Leeds and Tottenham? The only one I can think of is Steven Ferguson formerly of East Fife.

How does Smith 'know' the Scottish players? Which of the current Scottish squad has Smith worked with?

So what if Graham never signed any Scottish players? :unsure:

If Smith failed in England because he didn't know English football, does that mean that you are saying in advance that he will fail with Scotland because he doesn't know international football?

Walter worked with Alex Ferguson at the '86 World Cup, so he does have experience of international football.

How does Smith 'know' the Scottish players? Which of the current Scottish squad has Smith worked with?

Gary Naysmith, Barry Ferguson, Darren Fletcher, Steven Pressley, etc.

And since when did I say anything about Lou Macari?

Guest Captain Sensible
Walter worked with Alex Ferguson at the '86 World Cup, so he does have experience of international football.

That was the World Cup where we got knocked out with 2 defeats and a draw against 10 men wasn't it?

Another Walter Smith failure then! :lol:

Gary Naysmith, Barry Ferguson, Darren Fletcher, Steven Pressley, etc.

And?

Does the fact that he has worked with these guys mean that he will be a success?

George Graham is the man for the job - and we fail with him we should go for Lou Macari.

That was the World Cup where we got knocked out with 2 defeats and a draw against 10 men wasn't it?

Another Walter Smith failure then! :lol:

Yeah, defeat to a German side that went on to be in the final, only to be narrowly beat 3-2 thanks to an Argentinian goal in the 88th minute. And defeat to a Danish side who topped the group with nine points after beating us 1-0, Germany 2-0 and Uruguay 6-0. We were kidding ourselves if we thought we were going to win those games.

I agree, we should won against Uruguay, especially after them going down to ten men in after just a minute's play. We just have to admit to ourselves that we weren't good enough. We've never been good enough to get into the second stage of the World Cup.

It wasn't Walter Smith's fault we didn't do well in 1986, or any other year for that matter.

And?

Does the fact that he has worked with these guys mean that he will be a success?

George Graham is the man for the job - and we fail with him we should go for Lou Macari.

No, but he knows these players strengths and will use them to a good advantage, unlike Berti, who knew nothing about his players and had to take until half-time to work out the opposition's tactics.

If George Graham suddenly does a U-turn and says he wants the job, and we couldn't get Smith, I would like to see him get the job, providing he doesn't command a huge salary.

Guest Captain Sensible
Yeah, defeat to a German side that went on to be in the final, only to be narrowly beat 3-2 thanks to an Argentinian goal in the 88th minute. And defeat to a Danish side who topped the group with nine points after beating us 1-0, Germany 2-0 and Uruguay 6-0. We were kidding ourselves if we thought we were going to win those games.

Yes of course, with players like Graeme Souness, Gordon Strachan, Alan Hansen, Frank McAvennie, Steve Nicol, Mo Johnston, Steve Archibald, Graeme Sharp, Davie Cooper, Alex McLeish & Willie Miller to choose from - amongst others - we really must have been kidding ourselves! <_<

Wasnt it Alex Ferguson in charge, so his failure? and ofcourse he is a shite manager. Face it capn its going to be Walter Smith by all reports im getting, and we have to get behind him and give him more than a couple of games before people have a go. And what are those 2 games? Sweden and Italy, we highly likely to lose both way things are going.... we NEED to give whoever gets the job a lot mroe time than Berti because at the minute we are shite.

Guest Captain Sensible
Wasnt it Alex Ferguson in charge, so his failure? and ofcourse he is a shite manager.

Yes but at least Alex Ferguson has achieved other successes in his managerial career!

Face it capn its going to be Walter Smith by all reports im getting, and we have to get behind him and give him more than a couple of games before people have a go.

Yes, I'm sure you are right that Smith is going to be manager. But I won't be giving him any time as manager - I want him out now and I'll keep wanting him out - until the day he eventually is sacked and we appoint another diddy!

And what are those 2 games? Sweden and Italy, we highly likely to lose both way things are going.... we NEED to give whoever gets the job a lot mroe time than Berti because at the minute we are shite.

Give him no time at all - unless there is an immediate turnaround he should be sacked. :lol:

Anyone who thinks they can do anything with the players we've got, oviously hasn't got a clue and should therefore not get the job.

In which case we should go for a foreigner who doesn't know how bad we are, perhaps someone who has won an international trophy. Does anybody know anyone who fits that profile? ;)

Yes, I'm sure you are right that Smith is going to be manager. But I won't be giving him any time as manager - I want him out now and I'll keep wanting him out - until the day he eventually is sacked and we appoint another diddy!

Aye, George Graham! :lol:

I'm with you, Captain. Herein begins the official " Walter Smith Must Go" campaign...

Anyone who thinks they can do anything with the players we've got, oviously hasn't got a clue and should therefore not get the job.

I think Scotland have quite a lot of good young players. They certainly aren't as bad as Vogts' results would suggest.

Guest BRFC Tartan Army
I hope the reason for people not wanting Walter Smith is not because he's an ex-Rangers manager? That's utter rubbish - and if it is true, it only just goes to show what a bigoted society we live in. At the end of the day, we need to appoint someone who'll bring back pride to the Scotland team and get the players working for each other and their country, regardless of which team they have been associated with. That's why I think Walter Smith is the perfect man for the job.

Couldn't agree more ;)

Guest Captain Sensible

The achievements of the likes of Greece show what can be done when a good manager is appointed.

And you only need to look back at what Jack Charlton achieved with Ireland to see what can be done.

Walter Smith is a diddy manager. Smith must go! :lol:

Archived