The Playing The Guitar Thread

A_dee4life

Thread for people who can play or are learning to play the guitar (acoustic, electric, bass, whatever). Could be useful for asking questions about chords or equipment or whatever.

So to start off, some questions. What does everyone play? How long have you played? How good are you?....

I started learning about November, had a cheapy classical acoustic guitar for years so decided to try to learn off the internet. Through Youtube videos I can now play a good few classic riffs. Now thinking for buying a new guitar though, not yet sure whether to get a steel stringed acoustic or electric. I know both have positives and negatives but what would you suggest?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thread for people who can play or are learning to play the guitar (acoustic or electric). Could be useful for asking questions about chords or equipment or whatever.

So to start off, some questions. What does everyone play? How long have you played? How good are you?....

I started learning about November, had a cheapy classical acoustic guitar for years so decided to try to learn off the internet. Through Youtube videos I can now play a good few classic riffs. Now thinking for buying a new guitar though, not yet sure whether to get a steel stringed acoustic or electric. I know both have positives and negatives but what would you suggest?

What type of stuff do you enjoy playing, and do you have a view to going into a band with it? If you are looking towards playing beefier stuff then I would obviously suggest you go for an electric. That way you will still have your old acoustic lying about for quieter sessions, rather than having two acoustics and having to bash away on that if you ever felt like playing some dirty thrash metal.

I play the Bass,i have played for around a year and a half. I am still learning,i do not play enough,but i enjoy it.

Pretty much that. Been "playing" for two now.

I've tried the guitar, and my dad was going to teach me, but it never happened. Just played Smoke in the Water over and over and over again, like Jake in Two and a Half Men.

I have very limited playing ablity on guitar, bass & drums. That's why I ended up singing in my band. Nowhere near good enough on the guitar although i'd like to have played in a band on one.

I enjoy picking it up and know a few songs but just play for myself now and then when a guitar gets left at my house.

What piece of music would seasoned guitar players recommend for beginners to learn on?

I'm far from seasoned but I'd suggest really obvious riffs that people will know as soon as you play them with not many chords.

Something like Wild Thing

If I remember right that's just A D E D over and over for the bit you instantly think of when someone mentions the song.

The other part of the song is just G A

Then just look out for really simple sounding or repetative songs and then check if you know the chords. The Beatles were good for this sort of thing I found.

For power chords use bands like Nirvana where there's only need for one guitar (Nirvana solos generally are quite easy but sound crap on acoustic)

For picking the first one I learnt was Everybody Hurts by REM. That was down then up on D and G I think.

First thing I learnt was the Wonderwall riff. Not the easiest but when recognisable.

The first song I learned to play was Toxicity by System of a Down. I'm rather proud of that, because it's quite a footery wee riff at the beginning of the song. Well, for beginners it is.

Thread for people who can play or are learning to play the guitar (acoustic, electric, bass, whatever). Could be useful for asking questions about chords or equipment or whatever.

Electric, can play:

Brianstorm, Baby Fratelli, When the Sun Goes Down, From the Ritz to the Rubble, Certain Romance, Hotel California (not very well), Back in Black (not very well), wanting suggestions on what to learn next.

Since last christmas.

Not very.

EDIT TO ADD - Fluorecent Adolescent & Creeping up The Backstairs (just the chords at the start)

Ive been playing guitar for about 15 years (maybe more).

My pride and joy is my Ibanez Cyber Pink (You get a good meaty sound from it) and my Line 6 amp.

I also have a 6 string acoustic and 12 string semi-acoustic.

Im not very good but I can batter out a few tunes.

I've been playing for about nine years now. I took it up as a bet with a mate of mine from college, as I bet that she'd never go to a gym and if she did I'd learn the guitar :lol:

Started off with a Peavey Raptor and a wee practice Squier 10W amp that a mate gave me. Bought my current amp (a Peavey Bandit 65W) about a year or so later.

Moved onto an ESP LTD-F200 after that when I was going through a metal phase, with a Boss MT-2 MetalZone being my primary pedal.

Four years ago I sold my flat when I split up from my fiancee and used part of the profit to buy a Gibson SG in cherry red. Love it :D

Ive been playing guitar for about 15 years (maybe more).

My pride and joy is my Ibanez Cyber Pink (You get a good meaty sound from it) and my Line 6 amp.

I also have a 6 string acoustic and 12 string semi-acoustic.

Im not very good but I can batter out a few tunes.

Some man. What are you using? I got a Spider II around 5 years ago and it is still the business. I've only ever gigged it about 5 times, when I toured with my old band back in 2006, but it's going to get an airing tonight.

What's with all the Line 6 hate anyway? Quite a few people I know laughed when I said I used a Line 6. But then again, they swear by Marshall amps, and I think they are fucking horrible. The distortion on my Line 6 is a thing of beauty. With the right amount of multi-tracking, I'm sure it could get close to reaching Killswitch Engage levels of brilliance.

I tell ye, the boys in the band won't be laughing tonight when I'm melting peoples faces with my cheeky tones, while they sound like they are playing from inside a tin of beans.

Archived