The Playing The Guitar Thread

A_dee4life

If you buy Status Hotwire flats (direct from Status) they're only about £18 a set. Pretty good value and very good strings. Personally I love the feel of flats but don't quite get on with the sound. Over Christmas I'm going to try out some pressurewound strings and see what they're like.

Have fun!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Been learning for nigh on 20 yrs,still shit,have a cheapo strat, encore, which still sounds great,even though it's a bit like triggers broom,also have a line 6 spider 2 and zoom 505 fx, my boy has 3 electric,3amps,and boss m25 fx and he is amazing on the axe :-P

• 2 weeks later...

The bridge is coming away from the body on my Tanglewood semi-acoustic. I was playing away, and all of a sudden I heard a noise that sounded like a string snapping. Looked down and they're all intact. I don't want to take the strings off just yet, because I don't have the money to get it fixed until the end of the month (my mate told me once that you shouldn't leave it unstrung for any period as the fret can warp) so I don't even know if the bridge is glued on or bolted.

Anyone know if this is an easy repair, or how much it's likely to cost in a shop?

Anyone recommend a cheap alternative to an amp case. I have a gig coming up and want to use my own amp (just got one of the fender mustang iii amps and they are the bollocks) but cant afford a flight case.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only just noticed this thread... Been playing for about 3 years, started off in school playing bass and drums, changed from drums to guitar 2 years ago because the other drummers were dicks. Found out the kind of guitarist I was pretty much straight away when I got the piece I had to play for my exam; picked up how to play the chords quickly, sat in the corner and cried when it came to the solo. Bit more comfortable with playing solos and stuff now though.

Also found out my uncle plays guitar, got a shot on his Les Paul and his 12 string acoustic, didn't want to put either down.

These are the guitars I have for now though:

BOPv9re.jpg?1

Been playing on and off since school days, but didn't play live until i was 40. Play mainly acoustic live these days, but enjoy playing my electrics as well. been able to accumulate some good gear and currently own the following: -

Acoustics - Larrivee TSB SD50, Larrivvee CO9, Larrivee OM9 ( tuned DAAEAE) MciLroy A30 (tuned CGCGCD) Nigel Forster Custom Model C ( tuned DADGAD)

Electrics - PRS McCarty, PRS McCarty Soapbar, PRS Starla, PRS Swamp Ash Special, PRS SE One; Levinson Blade RH4, Levinson Blade TExas 62, Levinson Blade Delta, 1982 JV Squier 57 Strat, Dodn Grosh Retro Classic, Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom, Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro, Patrick Eggle New York Broadway, Reverend Warhawk, 1981Tokai Tele

Amps - Acoustic - AER; Electric - Mesa Boogie Blues Angel. Various effects, mainly Boss

Have a couple of banjos, bouzouki and mandolin as well.

Thats the lot

Played for about 1 year and a half now. The bands I listen to are like The Libertines, Oasis, Babyshambls etc.. so alot of the stuff I play are just chords but I can do some other stuff, never had any lessons apart from last year when the school forced me for my exams as every person who picks music at my school has to take compulsory lessons although I could already play the songs needed for my exams so 99% of the time we would just go through them all twice each then speak about football. :P

Last month I restrung my cherry sunburst Epiphone Les Paul to Nashville tuning (when you get the thin strings from a packet of 12-string strings and put them on in place of the regular 'thick' strings). Since I play a Fender Villager 12-string I wasn't convinced it'd sound much good, but it's so different and lovely when I put it through almost any amp. The studio I rehearse at just took delivery of a new Fender Champ for their new room and I can't wait to give it a blast through that!

Thread for people who can play or are learning to play the guitar (acoustic, electric, bass, whatever). Could be useful for asking questions about chords or equipment or whatever.

So to start off, some questions. What does everyone play? How long have you played? How good are you?....

I started learning about November, had a cheapy classical acoustic guitar for years so decided to try to learn off the internet. Through Youtube videos I can now play a good few classic riffs. Now thinking for buying a new guitar though, not yet sure whether to get a steel stringed acoustic or electric. I know both have positives and negatives but what would you suggest?

I've been playing guitar for over twenty years. Played electric in rock bands but mostly been acoustic. Went straight for Led Zep and Rush songbooks, then my jazzer neighbour bombarded me with theory and I got into some jazz rhythm, all the while still listening to rock. Got into finger picking through Led Zep and went from there to celtic music. Continued with rock bands but getting more and more trad til now it's all trad, with a mixture of a European traditional music band and an old time string band playing redneck shit. Went from playing acoustic and electric to now playing guitar, mandolin, mandola, harmonica, 5 string banjo (!) dobro and occasionally some percussion. As Hugh Reed of Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants once described himself as "mult-italentless". Kind of jack of all trades, master of none. Now learning fiddle.

The bridge is coming away from the body on my Tanglewood semi-acoustic. I was playing away, and all of a sudden I heard a noise that sounded like a string snapping. Looked down and they're all intact. I don't want to take the strings off just yet, because I don't have the money to get it fixed until the end of the month (my mate told me once that you shouldn't leave it unstrung for any period as the fret can warp) so I don't even know if the bridge is glued on or bolted.

Anyone know if this is an easy repair, or how much it's likely to cost in a shop?

If it has come clean away from the body then it should be just a question of gluing it, but if the top is damaged it more than likely wouldn't be worth your while. Jimmy Egypt on Otago Street in the west end of Glasgow is a renowned guitar fixer upper.

Been learning since Christmas just using Rocksmith, and kinda falling into the trap of playing songs too much and not exercises.

Had a discussion with my other half that I would wait and get better/see if I stick it out before upgrading from my quite awful Encore Strat.

Dropped her off shopping one weekend and wandered into a music shop and wandered out with:

8yuqa0.jpg

If it has come clean away from the body then it should be just a question of gluing it, but if the top is damaged it more than likely wouldn't be worth your while. Jimmy Egypt on Otago Street in the west end of Glasgow is a renowned guitar fixer upper.

It's fixed. The top had become a little bit warped but the guy in the shop opposite the Sub Club done a good job. I got the action lowered a wee bit at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Been learning since Christmas just using Rocksmith, and kinda falling into the trap of playing songs too much and not exercises.

Had a discussion with my other half that I would wait and get better/see if I stick it out before upgrading from my quite awful Encore Strat.

Dropped her off shopping one weekend and wandered into a music shop and wandered out with:

Was Rocksmith the only thing you had guiding you? I wondered what it would be like learning from scratch just with the that, the transition from just knowing the basics and how to read tab to the interface on the game was one of the reasons I never really got into it.

Anyone got any experience of either a hughes and kettner tubemeister 5 or a blackstar ht5 mini stack. I need a new amp for the house as the one I'm using is too loud to really play properly. Any other small tube amp recommendations would be appreciated.

Was Rocksmith the only thing you had guiding you? I wondered what it would be like learning from scratch just with the that, the transition from just knowing the basics and how to read tab to the interface on the game was one of the reasons I never really got into it.

Yes, Rocksmith fom scratch. At some point I'll have to go to tabs, and not sure how I'll cope with that. My chords are atrocious as well. I find the interface pretty sensible, but then don't have a point of comparison.

Biffy Clyro song pack just added this week as well, they are really good at getting money out of me...

Yes, Rocksmith fom scratch. At some point I'll have to go to tabs, and not sure how I'll cope with that. My chords are atrocious as well. I find the interface pretty sensible, but then don't have a point of comparison.

Biffy Clyro song pack just added this week as well, they are really good at getting money out of me...

But chords are the easy part :P

I imagine it'll be different if you had Rocksmith first but I definitely find tab easier to read, even if it's because you can just take it at your own pace and go through it however fast or otherwise you have to, and can repeat sections at will until you're better at them. Once you get used to your frets it's easier to find the right place on the neck too, in my experience.

Archived