Procycling thread

myshkin

Wiggo starts in the tour of Poland on sat. Strange, as I'd have thought he'd target the Vuelta.

Must fancy concentrating on the WC ITT instead.

Uran to lead Sky in Spain?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I don't see the big deal about it being at "night", or as most people call it, evening.

Anyway, great sprint finish showing just how close it is between the top 3. Personally I don't think you can quite call Kittel a better sprinter than Cav yet - it's just one GT and Cav's train has been suspect at best. We'll see what happens next year when he has Renshaw back.

The OPQS lead out was brilliant today, up until the last kilometre where it fell apart. Again.

Renshaw will make a big difference. Steegmans has the raw power to pull Renshaw and Cav into position, but Renshaw has the brains to do a proper lead out.

Wiggo starts in the tour of Poland on sat. Strange, as I'd have thought he'd target the Vuelta.

Must fancy concentrating on the WC ITT instead.

Uran to lead Sky in Spain?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Wiggo is riding the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain then the Worlds ITT. I saw him saying in an interview that he wants the rainbow jersey on his Palmares as well as his Olympic gold.

I was thinking Richie Porte for the Vuelta. I think Uran is on his way out of Sky.

Shuggie_Murray7, on 21 Jul 2013 - 23:06, said:Was that Froome's "If you can't believe in miracles I feel bad for you" speech?

You'll have to wait, to see if it will "stand the test of time".

Edited by kiddy

The OPQS lead out was brilliant today, up until the last kilometre where it fell apart. Again.

Renshaw will make a big difference. Steegmans has the raw power to pull Renshaw and Cav into position, but Renshaw has the brains to do a proper lead out.

Wiggo is riding the Tour of Poland, the Tour of Britain then the Worlds ITT. I saw him saying in an interview that he wants the rainbow jersey on his Palmares as well as his Olympic gold.

I was thinking Richie Porte for the Vuelta. I think Uran is on his way out of Sky.

The Vuelta is an interesting prospect. I'm really not sure which big riders will target it, other than the usual Spanish contingent. Nibali already has a Vuelta in the bag and perhaps won't have the motivation to go for another.

He's not wearing Chris Jericho's jacket, is he?

Next year I would get rid of Cofodis and bring in Columbia.

So get rid of the 10th best finishing team in this years tour and the 2nd top French team ... Makes sense.

The French Senate have released the names of riders whose samples from the 1998 Tour de France have tested positive or suspicious for EPO

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-senate-releases-positive-epo-cases-from-1998-tour-de-france

Positive:

Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger, Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston

Suspicious:
Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx

The French Senate have released the names of riders whose samples from the 1998 Tour de France have tested positive or suspicious for EPO

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-senate-releases-positive-epo-cases-from-1998-tour-de-france

Positive:

Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger, Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston

Suspicious:

Ermanno Brignoli, Alain Turicchia, Pascal Chanteur, Frederic Moncassin, Bobby Julich, Roland Meier, Giuseppe Calcaterra, Stefano Zanini, Eddy Mazzoleni, Stephane Barthe, Stuart O'Grady, Axel Merckx

Rinero winner of the Tour? He was a teammate of Julich, Meier and Desbiens mind :lol:

Rinero winner of the Tour? He was a teammate of Julich, Meier and Desbiens mind :lol:

I read somewhere that it's estimated 90%+ of the peleton were using EPO at that time - I'm not sure what can be done to rectify this. Armstrong has lost his Tours (rightly so) but Riis, Ullrich and Pantani are still listed as winners. Can they do the same for them, make the whole period 1995-2007 blacked out for TdF winners? Only Sastre, Evans, Wiggins and Froome haven't either failed tests or been strongly implicated otherwise in doping from TdF winners in the last twenty odd years. If you include people who've worked with or consulted dope-linked doctors then you can strike out Wiggins and Froome (Leinders) and Evans (Ferrari) from that list as well.

Edited to add - Stuart O'Grady admits doping http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ogrady-admits-epo-use-ahead-of-1998-tour-de-france He gets it pretty tight in the comments section.

Edited by ICTChris

ICTChris, on 24 Jul 2013 - 18:45, said:

I read somewhere that it's estimated 90%+ of the peleton were using EPO at that time - I'm not sure what can be done to rectify this. Armstrong has lost his Tours (rightly so) but Riis, Ullrich and Pantani are still listed as winners. Can they do the same for them, make the whole period 1995-2007 blacked out for TdF winners? Only Sastre, Evans, Wiggins and Froome haven't either failed tests or been strongly implicated otherwise in doping from TdF winners in the last twenty odd years. If you include people who've worked with or consulted dope-linked doctors then you can strike out Wiggins and Froome (Leinders) and Evans (Ferrari) from that list as well.

Edited to add - Stuart O'Grady admits doping http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ogrady-admits-epo-use-ahead-of-1998-tour-de-france He gets it pretty tight in the comments section.

Sastre was on Riis CSC team.

As for O'Grady, there's the reason for him retiring on Sunday.

Edited by kiddy

ICTChris, on 24 Jul 2013 - 11:48, said:The French Senate have released the names of riders whose samples from the 1998 Tour de France have tested positive or suspicious for EPO

Positive:Andrea Tafi, Erik Zabel, Bo Hamburger, Laurent Jalabert, Marcos Serrano, Jens Heppner, Jeroen Blijlevens, Nicola Minali, Mario Cipollini, Fabio Sacchi, Eddy Mazzoleni, Jacky Durand, Abraham Olano, Laurent Desbiens, Marco Pantani, Manuel Beltran, Jan Ullrich (twice), Kevin Livingston

Suspicious:

Desert Nomad, on 24 Jul 2013 - 14:05, said:Rinero winner of the Tour? He was a teammate of Julich, Meier and Desbiens mind

When looked at, during the years inc Armstrongs wins, if you take riders who doped/were on teams who doped/ or were on teams where someone was connected to doping. Consistently you get down to a guy

called Kurt Van Der Wouer, in the mid to late teens finishing wise, before you run out of connections to doping.

Was he the first "clean rider"? We'll never know.

But one thing's for sure, his family certainly never benefitted through prizemoney/sponsorships like those who did cheat.

Edited by kiddy

As for O'Grady, there's the reason for him retiring on Sunday.

o'grady's lies about only using once are only a wee bit less ludicrous than david millar's 'i kept the epo and syringes to remind me how bad i had been' nonsense.

Edited by T_S_A_R