The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its a big big decision on an appointment and St Mirren fans will be glad from some noises in the press recently, nothing worse than silence

Not wrong there. No point rushing a decision but it seems to be taking a long time if there is such a good quality of candidates!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gilmour confirms there they have not drawn up a shortlist of 5 candidates and will continue to meet on a weekly basis with 'news coming out by the middle of next week.'

McStay would be a good appointment imo, good record at club level, foreign experience, good contacts and a good few years experience. What more can you ask for?

Gilmour confirms there they have not drawn up a shortlist of 5 candidates and will continue to meet on a weekly basis with 'news coming out by the middle of next week.'

McStay would be a good appointment imo, good record at club level, foreign experience, good contacts and a good few years experience. What more can you ask for?

Whats his record at club level, what foreign experience does he have, and who are his good contacts?

Whats his record at club level, what foreign experience does he have, and who are his good contacts?

He went to Upjest(sp?) in Hungary for a season. Got them 3rd in the league and into the semi's of the national cup. All the time the club were under severe financial pressure. In fact it was that issue that resulted in him leaving the club.

Apparently McStay has been "groomed" (not my words, btw) for the Celtic post for years. Quite who by I am unsure yet it seems to be the claims of quite a few Celtic fans. His appointment at Upjest was meant to cement a "gentleman's agreement" between Celtic and the Hungarian club about loaning out players but I don't think that ever came to fruition.

Would McStay be a decent choice? Hmm.. not sure. He would certainly be more inspiring than a Duffy/Scott/Stark option though.

He went to Upjest(sp?) in Hungary for a season. Got them 3rd in the league and into the semi's of the national cup. All the time the club were under severe financial pressure. In fact it was that issue that resulted in him leaving the club.

Apparently McStay has been "groomed" (not my words, btw) for the Celtic post for years. Quite who by I am unsure yet it seems to be the claims of quite a few Celtic fans. His appointment at Upjest was meant to cement a "gentleman's agreement" between Celtic and the Hungarian club about loaning out players but I don't think that ever came to fruition.

Would McStay be a decent choice? Hmm.. not sure. He would certainly be more inspiring than a Duffy/Scott/Stark option though.

Would agree Ric,he would certainly be my choice out of the people mentioned. Did like the look of Adams when the thread started but definitely swaying towards McStay now. He is a Celtic fan so that should suite us as we always like to lick their arses as a club.

Welcome back by the way. :D

I know a number of young players who have worked with Willie McStay and not one of them, or their parents, have a bad word to say about the man. I don't know if that will make him a successful manager at SPL level but he's certainly got good contacts - apart from anything else his Dad -Jock - is one of the most respected football scouts in Scotland.

At youth level I'm not such a fan or the work done at Rangers. Whether Tommy Wilson totally influences that or not the ideology that comes out of Murray Park takes football in a different direction to how I like to see football played.

I'm struggling to think of any realistic candidate for the job who genuinely 'inspires'.

In all seriousness, without meaning it as a dig or a windup, why would any 'inspiring' type manager ever want to manage St Mirren??

What you need to do is get an unknown with promise, give the guy time and support and see what he can do for you.

In all seriousness, without meaning it as a dig or a windup, why would any 'inspiring' type manager ever want to manage St Mirren??

It's all to do with context. We aren't talking Jose or Fergie here.

Basically, Duffy or Scott are uninspiring choices, so by process of elimination Wilson or McStay would be more inspiring.

What you need to do is get an unknown with promise, give the guy time and support and see what he can do for you.

I think 150k a year and the use of the club as a stepping stone to a bigger job for starters.

McStay fits the bill.

By inspires, I would have thought it was more to do with what floats the fans boat rather than a big name. But basically you are right. We will be looking at a rookie with some sort of decent background and hope it works out. Either that or some failure from another club.

You have inside knowledge about whats happening at board meetings I'm well impressed , pity your inside info is a crock of shit.rolleyes.gif

I never said anything about board meetings. :huh:

I said he'd have an interview, which he has.

If St Mirren are looking for an inspiring manager, why settle for old firm back-room staff or someone who has only won the Scottish cup. Why not go for someone, truly inspirational, like a World Cup winner.

Ossie Ardiles currently based in the UK and looking for a management job.

If St Mirren are looking for an inspiring manager, why settle for old firm back-room staff or someone who has only won the Scottish cup. Why not go for someone, truly inspirational, like a World Cup winner.

Great player...Shite manager

I didn't know wheather to laugh or cry when he was pretty much attempting to push his way through our front door :lol:

Archived