Caitlin Moran and others have decided to boycott Twitter on the 4th of August due to the abuse that Caroline Criado-Perez has been subjected to following her campaign to include women on banknotes. They also want Twitter to simplify the way to report abuse - there's a petition for a 'report abuse' button. Twitter aren't keen on this as it would mean an avalanche of reports, meaning that they'll need to find some way to sift through them all.

!!

The abuse (including threats of rape apparently) is vile but I can't help think that a certain section of the 'Twitterati' shouts 'TROLL!' and grabs for their pearls whenever someone takes the piss out of them. Freedom of speech isn't supposed to be pretty. I also find Moran's (who I normally quite like) constant appeals to 'niceness' and 'politeness' to be a bit twee and sinister - it sounds very much like she wants debate to be framed on her own terms and f*ck anyone else.

Caitlin Moran and others have decided to boycott Twitter on the 4th of August due to the abuse that Caroline Criado-Perez has been subjected to following her campaign to include women on banknotes. They also want Twitter to simplify the way to report abuse - there's a petition for a 'report abuse' button. Twitter aren't keen on this as it would mean an avalanche of reports, meaning that they'll need to find some way to sift through them all.

!!

The abuse (including threats of rape apparently) is vile but I can't help think that a certain section of the 'Twitterati' shouts 'TROLL!' and grabs for their pearls whenever someone takes the piss out of them. Freedom of speech isn't supposed to be pretty. I also find Moran's (who I normally quite like) constant appeals to 'niceness' and 'politeness' to be a bit twee and sinister - it sounds very much like she wants debate to be framed on her own terms and f*ck anyone else.

block,screengrab,report to polis.

i really like owen jones but him ,dent,moran,linehan etc need to get a fekkin grip. self appointed moral guardians and always outraged about something.

Why would anyone start a campaign to have a women on a banknote, I'm assuming she is one of there militant feminises?

Boycott Twitter :lol: yeah I'm sure they are really worried at Twitter HQ

I don't know anything about Criado-Perez, apparently people were sending her threats, which would count as a crime. There are mechanisms in place to deal with this at the moment. I do enjoy following Moran and people in that kind of Twitter circle but I think sometimes they want to make Twitter a place where they just tweet all their friends about how great they are, and how much they loved each others articles/programmes/books.

Professional Twitter troll Old Holborn's latest alias has had his say on the 'boycott'

Old Holborn @OldHolbornian 11m

Right, I'm off. Remember, twitter offer FULL refunds to those offended.Apply TODAY

You've got an unlimited library of jokes thanks to google. Why on earth would you come on here asking for some from some of the saddest individuals of our fair society?

This makes me feel like I'm doing something to get the jokes. Copying of a website is a bit impersonal.

Why did the P&B poster ask other people for jokes?

Because he wanted to gain followers.

Well yeah a bit.

Why would anyone have twitter though? People spend ridiculous amounts of effort 'following back' and shit just to get followers so it's hardly new.

Just a bit of fun.

Attempting to censor offensive behaviour generally will achieve absolutely nothing.

What needs to be gone is to deal with the actual cause if these sorts of views and behaviours and the views and behaviours themselves.

What will pretending attitudes like this don't exist (by hiding away tweets after they are reported) actually achieve?

Nothing.

The rape threats thing is different because that should actually be covered by law so that that person can be reported to the police.

Again though there's a reason that that person thinks it's acceptable to threaten someone with rape and that's what really needs to be addressed here.

Feminist blogger Stavvers writes about her opposition to a report abuse button

http://stavvers.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/against-a-twitter-report-abuse-button/

Stavvers calls it the 'Commentariat Cult of Nice', I'd say it's something like the tyranny of convention.

Edit again - here's Brook Magnanti on the furore - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10207086/Feminists-boycotting-Twitter-is-not-the-way-to-end-trolling.html

I like that she picks up that 'troll' has become a catch all term, with little meaning.

Edited by ICTChris

I can get behind what they're aggrieved about but Moran and some of the others are godawful Twitter users that block large numbers of people just for pointing out how utterly wrong they are on a range of issues.

noticed earlier the 100 worst people on twitter blog is back after a long hiatus. Can't say I agree with all the choices but it's always great to read someone so angry.

Excellent. It's obvious they have specific media people they want to slate but I don't really see the problem with that, it's their blog. Plus its funny.

I've only just discovered Tommy Sheridan on Twitter (@citizentommy)

Is it actually him? Looks legit

Ask him if he fancies round to your house and shagging your wife while you watch. If he says yes, he gets a blue tick.