Stuart Adamson

GordieBoy80

Hi folks,

I know it's a blast from the past, but I have in my possession a lovely professionally framed picture and signed playlist from their final gig at the ABC in Glasgow on 5th March 2010.

It was kindly donated by a band member, to a race night held in memory of my son, with all the proceeds going to BRAKE, who are a charity that help families who've lost youngsters on the roads.

I've no wish to sell it, I'd much rather give it away to someone who'd appreciate it and hang it up. I've not done it justice in my description.

If someone does want it send me a PM and maybe you could make a wee donation to said charity.

I'll try and upload an image but I'm gash at such things.

It measures (730x510), still in protective film from framers, Ian Kenny framers.

All the best

Wishyman.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Saw the Skids at the Odeon in Edinburgh in 1980 on the "Absolute Game" tour and Big Country several times, the best being the first time at the Nite club, also Edinburgh, early on in 1983 just as "Fields of fire" was charting.  It remains the most exciting gig I've ever been to.  Had only heard three off the tracks they played that night prior to the gig - "Harvest Home", "Angle Park" and "Fields of Fire".  Thatcherism was kicking in, but there was something optimistic and unifying about Big Country; Stuart telling the audience that "we were as much part of the gig as them" and of course that totally uplifting sound.  Left the gig feeling there was hope

Stuart  was a big fan of the Yorkshire guitarist, Bill Nelson (as was Richard Jobson and Bruce Watson) whom in the mid to late 70s had guitar hero status via his work with Be Bop Deluxe. He produced and played on the Skids second album, "Days in Europa". Bill played at Stuarts memorial gig at the Barrowlands in 2002 and wrote a peace specifically for this "For Stuart" which is on Bills "Painting with Guitars"album released in 2003 and also his "Live at the Metropolis" album from 2011.  The latter still avaiable on amazon. Nelson is IMHO the best guitarist the UK has ever produced so if you have not come across his work, check you tube as there is a lot of his solo and Be Bop Deluxe stuff there.  He also has an excellent website, "Dreamsville" where you can hear samples of his more recent work  

On 12/16/2016 at 12:19, GordieBoy80 said:

15 years now. Bloody hell.

Crazy that it was so long ago.  Had the pleasure of meeting Stuart when I was a kid in Dunfermline. Stuart and my Dad went to school and were best friends and we just randomly bumped into each other while in town.  Nice guy and loved his music growing up.

Used to listen to the 12" hits album on the Supporters Bus to Cowden games.  Need to dig that CD out and put it on again when heading home after Christmas!

Archived