Diop's Penalty For Fulham

shetlandbairn

For anyone who didn't see it he bascially just hit it high up in the top right hand corner.

Why doesn't every professional who's taking a penalty do this? It's a virtually guaranteed goal and it's not that hard to do.....I could probably do it 7 times out of 10.

No top class player should ever miss a penalty.

Then you have the idiots like Jeff Whitley that try the little dinked penos only to put it straight into the 'keeper's arms! :lol:

I had tried to banish that from my mind, cheers for bringing it up again. :angry::angry:

Was a bloody awful penalty though. Sunderland currently have two players who failed crucially with dinked penalties. Liam Lawrence is the other - while playing for Mansfield in last season's Third Division play-offs he chipped the ball onto the bar from the penalty spot. I think he had scored double figures of penalties that season but that one miss cost his team promotion.

I'm 37.

Pandiani's penalty against Liverpool was brilliant as well. No chance for Dudek.

I only saw it once but I thought if Dudek had gone the right way he'd have had a decent chance to save it :unsure: .

Pressure? Fair enough but it doesn't have to be right in the top corner... high up in the goals and the 'keeper hasn't really got a chance.

Got some revenge this season though.

Not much, though. Sunderland's win got them a humping off Everton, whereas Palace's win got them at least one season in the Premiership.

For the amount of time a full time footballer has to practice, they should be able to perfect at least one penalty taking technique. Mind you, it annoys me that there are so many players who are one footed. If they have a weakness then they have all the time in the world to get it right.

Andy Seaton's penalty miss this season for Berwick at Forthbank this season is the worst I've ever seen. It hit the wall behind the goals level with the penalty box line which joins the goal line. And they still managed to beat us.

I still can't believe the number of goalies who move early at penalties, leaving an easy job for the taker to roll the ball into the other corner.

If you wait till the ball is kicked, you're at least forcing the taker to hit the corner or you've got a good chance of saving it.

For anyone who didn't see it he bascially just hit it high up in the top right hand corner.

Why doesn't every professional who's taking a penalty do this? It's a virtually guaranteed goal and it's not that hard to do.....I could probably do it 7 times out of 10.

No top class player should ever miss a penalty.

have you ever hit a penalty in a cup final or infront of loads of people in a pressure game?

diops penalty was class, but to get it within 2-3 inches of the bar is not easy- especially hitting it away to the right as well. at the park one of us could do it 5/6 times from 10 but in the cup infront of 15,000 against a pro keeper- bet the goal looks about 5ft square

have you ever hit a penalty in a cup final or infront of loads of people in a pressure game?

diops penalty was class, but to get it within 2-3 inches of the bar is not easy- especially hitting it away to the right as well. at the park one of us could do it 5/6 times from 10 but in the cup infront of 15,000 against a pro keeper- bet the goal looks about 5ft square

But it wouldn't have to be 2-3 inches below the bar..... 2-3 foot would probably do.

Penalty shootouts I can understand there's a lot more pressure but in most situations a professional should be able to hit the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

But it wouldn't have to be 2-3 inches below the bar..... 2-3 foot would probably do.

Penalty shootouts I can understand there's a lot more pressure but in most situations a professional should be able to hit the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

3 foot below the bar!!! that is the perfect height for keepers to catch them! id rather go along the deck than put it mid-height

3 foot below the bar!!! that is the perfect height for keepers to catch them! id rather go along the deck than put it mid-height

Are goals not 10 feet high (maybe slighty less)?

If a keeper dives, he's not going to reach a penalty that's 7 feet up...

Perhaps we should agree to disagree on this one :D .

Are goals not 10 feet high (maybe slighty less)?

If a keeper dives, he's not going to reach a penalty that's 7 feet up...

Perhaps we should agree to disagree on this one :D .

goals are 8ft by 24ft.

just saying that from my personal experience (ok, so im no pro but have played to a fairly good standard once upon a time) penalties are far more difficult than they look- i missed 2 this season, once when i hit the crossbar and once when the keeper saved it cos it was 4ft off the deck.

i agree that if you are a pro and the penalty taker then you should practice for 10 mins a day and then surely you would be able to hit the roof of the net most times from 12 yards, but also in certain circumstances it can be much more difficult than in trainin!! :)

I still can't believe the number of goalies who move early at penalties, leaving an easy job for the taker to roll the ball into the other corner.

If you wait till the ball is kicked, you're at least forcing the taker to hit the corner or you've got a good chance of saving it.

As a keeper you have to guess to have an chance to save - even if it is an educated guess looking at the body shape of the kicker - to get to the ball you need to go early. In the 1990 World Cup Shilton decided to trust his reflexes and wait till the penalties were hit before moving, he came close to every one but didn't save any - much better to let in 4 going the wrong way and save the one you gamble correctly on.

As a keeper you have to guess to have an chance to save - even if it is an educated guess looking at the body shape of the kicker - to get to the ball you need to go early. In the 1990 World Cup Shilton decided to trust his reflexes and wait till the penalties were hit before moving, he came close to every one but didn't save any - much better to let in 4 going the wrong way and save the one you gamble correctly on.

keeper for my old schoolboy club used to dive the same way EVERY penalty- seemed good in a shootout cos no way is a whole team gonna go down one side.

lots of players are now banking on keepers diving early and going down the middle- is anyone a keeper and have a way they try n save pens? i only ever played in goals once when my keeper got injured- got beta at my front post on their first attack after that...

Archived