Championship Promotion Chase Hotting Up

Dev Alahan

With Sunderland winning today and both Wigan and Ipswich losing, the top of the Championship is now really tight. All three teams are tied on 66 points with 11 ganes left, couldn't be closer than that. With two teams going into the Premiership automatically and one heading to the play-off lottery all three sides will be desperate to become next season's relegation fodder.

From a personal perspective I'm desperate to see Sunderland back up again. I'd also prefer to see Ipswich go up over Wigan. Who do you see winning the race?

I'm 37.

Would be good to see Wigan promoted. Sunderland & Ipswich have both had chances to play their before. It's defo 2 from 3 though.

Playoff battle seems to be hotting up as well. Teams like Derby & Preston have shot up the league. I would say even down to QPR in 12 have a shot. 3 wins in a row shoots you up the league.

The Mackems will win the league, although I fear we'll be horribly under-equipped for the Premiership next season, unless some cash is pumped in from somewhere.

Still, it will be good to beat the Skunks at Castle Greyskull once again :lol:

The Mackems will win the league, although I fear we'll be horribly under-equipped for the Premiership next season, unless some cash is pumped in from somewhere.

Still, it will be good to beat the Skunks at Castle Greyskull once again :lol:

St Mirren at Ibrox?In the Premiership :blink::unsure::huh:

Guest Geordie_Elvis

Please let S********d get promoted, could do with a nice easy 6 points next year cos the league is getting harder.

Mickey Mouse club with an Ikea flat pack stadium, no heritage, no history, no star players and the most dirty,stinking city in the country.

I reckon Wigan will still win the league. They have IMO the best striker in the league in Ellington and also Roberts who has banged in a few. These players should see them through in the end. Really can't call out of the other two who I think will go up <_<

Please let S********d get promoted, could do with a nice easy 6 points next year cos the league is getting harder.

Mickey Mouse club with an Ikea flat pack stadium, no heritage, no history, and the most dirty,stinking city in the country.

Hee hee hee, that post is incorrect for so many reasons! :lol::lol:

Ikea flat pack stadium

Err no. Best new stadium in the country more likely. It is the likes of Southampton, Leicester, etc who use the same design and just change the colour of the seats. Mind you, neither of those two clubs were stupid enough to choose grey for their seats - who'd be stupid enough to do that? Perhaps the team with the least balanced ground in the country?

no heritage, no history

Good one that! How long is it since Newcastle last won anything? I'll give you a hint: it was a good 40 years before Kevin Keegan invented Newcastle United and the Toon Army in '92. Perhaps it has also escaped your notice that Newcastle United have also won the league considerably fewer times than Sunderland AFC's six wins. Oh yeah, you were definitely right on the money saying 'no history'. :blink:

Our heritage also includes playing at St James's Park before you lot did and inspiring the colours of Atletico Madrid and PSV Eindhoven. Nope, no heritage and no history to be seen.

no star players

You trying to say that the Zambian/Northern Irish legend known as Sir Jeffrey Whitley isn't a star?

Seriously, we don't currently have any star players but that is no bad thing in my eyes. Our team spirit under Mick McCarthy is better than it has been for years and our lack of stars has helped build a solid, successful team. We had our fair share of 'stars' two seasons ago and those 'stars' embarrassed the club and the fans with the worst set of results seen in the Premiership era. I for one am glad we no longer have any of these 'stars'.

Contrast that with Newcastle United, a side full of 'stars'. Stars such as Lee Bowyer, the racist, drug-taking thug. Alan Shearer, the dirtiest player in English football. Craig Bellamy, the dirty Welsh Quasimodo lookalike. Keiron Dyer, :lol:! Stars that have taken you to the heady heights of 13th place in the league. Stars that receive regular booing from the massed ranks of the Toon Army, best fans in the land :blink:.

I know which I'd prefer.

the most dirty,stinking city in the country.

You never been to Middlesbrough? Or Byker?

Sunderland is currently not one of the best cities in the country I agree, but there are big improvements being made all the time and the city will eventually emerge again from the neglect brought on by the likes of Thatcher. I am not sure what this argument has to do with the football club though.

There we have it - one ill-thought out argument disproved and successfully ridiculed. Come back and have a go at Sunderland when you actually have your facts straight.

I'm 37.

P.S. We always win 2-1. FTM.

I hope that Wigan win the league as they have not had a shot at the Premiership while Ipswich and Sunderland have in recent years. Want Ipswich to join them as I hate Sunderland.
Would be good to see Wigan promoted. Sunderland & Ipswich have both had chances to play their before.

I personally disagree with that train of thought. Everyone has a go at Gretna for buying their way up the leagues, which is what Wigan are doing. Dave Whelan is financing them to the top of the Championship with very poor crowds. I don't believe that Wigan would be an asset to the Premiership, whereas I do see the other two clubs as being assets. I also quite like Ipswich - they're a nice, friendly club who deserve a bit of success. That's just my view of things.

I'm going down to Burnley on Friday night for the Sunderland match there, a win or a draw would take us top. A win would be great - with Wigan and Ipswich playing each other it would be great to put a little bit of space between us and one or other of the two challengers.

I'm 37.

Guest Geordie_Elvis

Ok then Dev, tell me one scumderland player that would get in the Toons startin X1, we have the shittest defence in the premiership and Caldwell couldnt even get into it, now hes one of your top men :D:rolleyes:

Your pish stadium is always empty.....remember the time the fans wanted to leave at half time but couldnt get out, hilarious.

Whats all this nonsense about always winning 2-1??

2000/01 A 1-1 O'Brien Carteron 48,277 P

2001/02 H 1-1 Bellamy Phillips 52,021 P

2001/02 A 1-0 Dabizas 48,290 P

2002/03 H 2-0 Bellamy,Shearer 52,181 P

2002/03 A 1-0 Solano (pen) 45,067 P

I rest my case old man.

Sunderland will never ever be as big as Newcastle. Thats why they hate them so much. They are the poor neighbors. Notice, that they have a bigger population than Newcastle. But where is their airport, main line train station, ferry port, shopping centre. The fact is that anyone who lives in Sunderland who has anything about them works in Newcastle. Half their fuckin players live down the queyside.

Sunderland have played in the 3rd tier of Engish football, Newcastle have never.

When did Sunderland last play in Europe?

Have Sunderland EVER played in the Champions League???

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A MACKEM IN MILAN?????????

I remember one day when i was sitting in St James watchin Newcastle beat Juve 1-0. At half time they read out the Sunderland - Cambridge score. Says it all really.

Your pish stadium is always empty.....remember the time the fans wanted to leave at half time but couldnt get out, hilarious.

Whats all this nonsense about always winning 2-1??

2000/01 A 1-1 O'Brien Carteron 48,277 P

2001/02 H 1-1 Bellamy Phillips 52,021 P

2001/02 A 1-0 Dabizas 48,290 P

2002/03 H 2-0 Bellamy,Shearer 52,181 P

2002/03 A 1-0 Solano (pen) 45,067 P

I rest my case old man.

Ok then Dev, tell me one scumderland player that would get in the Toons startin X1, we have the shittest defence in the premiership and Caldwell couldnt even get into it, now hes one of your top men :D  :rolleyes:

Well done, you finally made a valid point! You're really getting the hang of how to debate on a messageboard - you make valid points. There probably isn't currently a Sunderland player who would get in the Newcastle team. Arca, Poom and Elliott would make good additions to your squad. You won't find any Sunderland fans suggesting we have a better team than you. It's quite clearly not true.

The always winning 2-1 comment was a light-hearted reference to the two consecutive victories we had at St James's Park a couple of seasons ago. Nothing more.

Again I'd like to state that the stadium is not pish and I'm sure you know that. It is also never empty. Recent attendances have been lower because of the division we're in, that's more accurate. Our attendance on Saturday vs. Cardiff City in the second tier of English football was far higher than either yourselves or Middlesbrough managed in the latter stages of European competition. Shit attendances can always be countered with other shit attendances.

I'm 37.

Sunderland will never ever be as big as Newcastle. Thats why they hate them so much. They are the poor neighbors. Notice, that they have a bigger population than Newcastle. But where is their airport, main line train station, ferry port, shopping centre. The fact is that anyone who lives in Sunderland who has anything about them works in Newcastle. Half their fuckin players live down the queyside.

All of the things you've said above are socio-economic issues which have precisely f**k all to do with football. Each and every one of the things you've stated have long and ancient histories behind them. I could mention things like Royal Charters for industry, bias towards Newcastle of the Tyne and Wear local authority, etc. This isn't the place for that, this is a football site. However it cannot be overlooked that Sunderland has been treated more harshly by history than Newcastle.

There is no airport in Sunderland, true. The rest of your points are contentious. No shopping centre? Half of Sunderland city centre is the Bridges shopping centre, so you're incorrect there. Main line train station? Depends on your definition but Sunderland has just as main line a train station as anywhere else. Just because the station isn't on the east coast line doesn't mean it's not a proper station. Sunderland has no ferry port, but neither does Newcastle. The ferry port is a good eight miles or so away in North Shields. Quite what this has to do with football I don't know. I mean, Stranraer has a ferry port but that clearly doesn't improve its football team much.

I remember one day when i was sitting in St James watchin Newcastle beat Juve 1-0. At half time they read out the Sunderland - Cambridge score. Says it all really.

That was a cup game which we won 7-0 away from home. OK we weren't in European competition, but we could have been playing anyone that day. It was simply chance that that situation occurred. I don't quite see your point.

I'm 37.

Back to topic, there's a really tasty set of fixtures this weekend with Sunderland away to Burnley on Friday and Ipswich playing Wigan at Portman Road. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hopefully we can move away from these poorly argued SAFC vs. NUFC arguments.

I'm 37.

Guest Geordie_Elvis

:D:D:D

Im used to it to be honest, football wouldnt be the same if we all agreed would it??

End of the day im happy either way, if S********d come up then great...2 belter days out and 6 points ;) and if they stay where they are im equally happy.

Sunderland have played in the 3rd tier of Engish football, Newcastle have never.

When did Sunderland last play in Europe?

Have Sunderland EVER played in the Champions League???

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A MACKEM IN MILAN?????????

Fud. :rolleyes:

I take it you're not old enough to remember Newcastle winning anything. Or do you think they were only formed in 1992.

Newcastle are the better team right now, but I know which team has the better manager.

Two of the greatest sights of the 1990's was Quinn and Phillips scoring in the rain at St James, and the look on Gullit and Shearer's faces on the bench. (might have been 2 different games, so many wins etc) :lol:

Guest Geordie_Elvis
Fud. :rolleyes:

I take it you're not old enough to remember Newcastle winning anything. Or do you think they were only formed in 1992.

Newcastle are the better team right now, but I know which team has the better manager.

Two of the greatest sights of the 1990's was Quinn and Phillips scoring in the rain at St James, and the look on Gullit and Shearer's faces on the bench. (might have been 2 different games, so many wins etc) :lol:

Personal preference mate, my favourite sights of the 90's were the look on the faces of all the inbred cnuts when yous lost that penalty shootout................MENDONCA!!!!!!

And again when you got relegated from the proper league, and again when Dabizas scored our winner against you, and again when Nobby Solano scored the penalty in front of all your de-generate fans.............

you get the idea.

Toon 4 life, bring on Olympiacos and Spurs.

Mine would be Liam O'Brien knocking in a great free kick at Roker Park on Newcastle's way to promotion. Think it was part of a 12 game winning run. Dabizas is another great one

Guest Geordie_Elvis

End of the day there isnt even an arguement, Toon are taking on Liverpool this weekend Sunderland play Burnley.

Does that not just sum up where we are at this moment in time.

If/when you lot come up to what is normally nose-bleed territory then you can start mouthing off, but while you remain in the mickey mouse league then keep your shite arguements for Forest,Rotheram,QPR etc.

Let the big boys play football.

Archived