Copying Dvd's

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest broomfield2004

dvd decrypter to rip. get it free from here.

dvd shrink to compress (if necessary). get it free from here.

then use your burning software of choice to burn (i use nero).

it's a lot easier than it sounds

Same as Broomfield. Unfortunately its all "girly" movies im backing up justnow.

do you mean 'girly' movies or "GIRLY!" movies? :blink:

I also love the way people are 'backing up' their movies, you never know when those original dvd's are gonna explode :lol:

dvd decrypter to rip. get it free from here.

dvd shrink to compress (if necessary). get it free from here.

then use your burning software of choice to burn (i use nero).

it's a lot easier than it sounds

Not that easy clearly. :rolleyes:

I thought having read this thread I'd see how easy it would be to "back-up" a dvd.

I've downloaded this Decrpyter thing and run it. It found the dvd and copied a number of files to my hard disk.

Now what? I can't seem to make my DVD player on the pc play them. How do I go about doing that? Is there a step I'm missing? :unsure:

I thought having read this thread I'd see how easy it would be to "back-up" a dvd.

I've downloaded this Decrpyter thing and run it. It found the dvd and copied a number of files to my hard disk.

Now what? I can't seem to make my DVD player on the pc play them. How do I go about doing that? Is there a step I'm missing? :unsure:

Yes, Decrypter creates an ISO (or image) file on your hard drive.

You need a burning software, like Nero or alcohol120% (although Im not sure this does DVDs) to copy the ISO file onto a blank DVD.

Then it should play in your DVD drive, or player.

This is just from reading their website, I havent actually used the thing yet, so anyone feel free to correct me :blink:

When doing things like this with CDs I always use Alcohol120%, cause it creates a virtual drive on your PC so you can test stuff without having to waste a blank disc ;)

Get the dvd santa program, it auto shrinks the dvd and puts it into the folder.

You then just run nero and copy all files from the Video_TS folder to the Video_TS folder in nero and burn.

Maybe it didn't copy all the files needed to play the dvd on your pc?

So, let me just be clear as I'm not entirely following.

I can't copy the dvd onto the hard drive and watch it there? I have to actually burn onto a blank dvd?

And presuming that is the cas, I don't have a recordable dvd drive on my pc. I do have a recordable cd-rom drive on my laptop. Does that mean that I won't actually be able to "burn" these things then and I'm wasting my time? :unsure:

So, let me just be clear as I'm not entirely following.

I can't copy the dvd onto the hard drive and watch it there? I have to actually burn onto a blank dvd?

And presuming that is the cas, I don't have a recordable dvd drive on my pc. I do have a recordable cd-rom drive on my laptop. Does that mean that I won't actually be able to "burn" these things then and I'm wasting my time? :unsure:

You need a DVD burner to burn DVDs to disk.

Aldi's had an USB 8 speed external one for £60 last week.

The method I use is piss easy.

ANY DVD (get it here) disables the copyright protection and regional coding. It runs in the background with very little processor overhead.

CLONE DVD 2 (get it here) allows you to copy a disk to your HD or to a blank DVD. It will even do this on the fly if you have two DVD drives. It will decrypt and uncompress the files and then save them on your HD or burn them to a blank DVD. It allows you to omit any titles on the original that you don't want on your copy such as copyright notices, trailers etc. You can also leave out any subtitles or foreign commentary tracks.

A typical DVD with a 2 hour movie and some extras will copy to a blank DVD in around 12-15 minutes.

The advantage of this method is you are only really using 1 bit of software as ANY DVD runs in the background. CLONE DVD 2 is very easy to use.

Ok, so I don't have one. And I wouldn't know how to even begin installing / using one if I bought one.

No-one has yet answered the question though. Can I do anything that enables me to "save" a copy of a dvd to the hard drive and direct watch it from there without burning to another dvd first?

Ok, so I don't have one. And I wouldn't know how to even begin installing / using one if I bought one.

No-one has yet answered the question though. Can I do anything that enables me to "save" a copy of a dvd to the hard drive and direct watch it from there without burning to another dvd first?

CLONE DVD 2 (get it here) allows you to copy a disk to your HD or to a blank DVD

Once copied to your HD then your DVD playing software will be able to play it

Guest broomfield2004

if you ripped the files using the file mode in dvd decrypter you will be able to view it using a dvd software player.

the dvd playing software i have (powerdvd) has an option to open files on your hard disk - you then open the VIDEO_TS file to view the dvd from the start.

(you'll know if you've ripped it properly if you have lots of VOB & BUP files as opposed to 1 big image ISO or IMG file)

www.doom9.org and www.dvdrhelp.com have some good guides if yuo're still having bother.

Aldi's had an USB 8 speed external one for £60 last week.

The method I use is piss easy.

ANY DVD (get it here) disables the copyright protection and regional coding. It runs in the background with very little processor overhead.

CLONE DVD 2 (get it here) allows you to copy a disk to your HD or to a blank DVD. It will even do this on the fly if you have two DVD drives. It will decrypt and uncompress the files and then save them on your HD or burn them to a blank DVD. It allows you to omit any titles on the original that you don't want on your copy such as copyright notices, trailers etc. You can also leave out any subtitles or foreign commentary tracks.

A typical DVD with a 2 hour movie and some extras will copy to a blank DVD in around 12-15 minutes.

The advantage of this method is you are only really using 1 bit of software as ANY DVD runs in the background. CLONE DVD 2 is very easy to use.

417432[/snapback]

Just thought I'd say cheers Tam, since I got the new PC, and it has a DVD RW, this has helped me a lot :);)

Archived