The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

First time I have seen a full ninety minutes of Everton this season and was very impressed.

Pretty solid throughout, kept possession well and were the better side for long spells in the game. Would the comments about Barkley, thought he was fantastic. Also, I thought the defence looked pretty well organised throughout and limited Arsenal to just a handful of chances.

Barkley is having an excellent season. All credit to Martinez for putting him in and trusting him - something Moyes didn't do - and he is repaying the manager big time.

Really enjoyed watching the game today and a draw was a fair result. There won't be many teams who go to the Emirates and dominate the way Everton did in the first half, but credit to Arsenal, they came back into it second half. When the opener went in, I feared there wouldn't be reward for their efforts (and I'm convinced Moyes' Everton wouldn't have got anything) but wee Gerry D came up trumps again.

A really good point today and four from the last 2 games away from home is an excellent return. Allez allez allez ooooh.

Yesterday was just daft. I was nursing a colossal hangover but just felt so, so much better after that. Pyro everywhere, unbelievable positivity in the Everton support. Its positive on the pitch, positive in the stands, roll on Saturday.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, and enjoy Saturday too. I've just booked my Sunderland ticket for Boxing Day and will head down to the FA Cup tie with QPR as well. The celebrations at the goal looked fantastic - and the Everton support could be heard all game.

Really exciting times to be Blue just now.

Cheers min, it really was great. I tend to spend my saturdays going a bit smokebomb daft in non-league football, so got just a little confused when one was going off at my feet. Just had a wee double take of.. 'Did...I do that?'.

• 2 weeks later...

Belated happy birthday jamamafegan. Pleasing that the result helped!

Moyes, lets be honest here, more often than not shit himself when we went to Old Trafford, Anfield, the Emirates or Stamford Bridge, barring one or two occasional exceptions. Martinez, while perhaps being a bit more cautious than against Stoke by putting Deulofeu on the bench, still was attack-minded with the likes of Barkley in midfield. Moyes wouldn't have even considered playing someone like him in the middle of the park at venues like that. That's the difference - Martinez believes the team have enough quality going forward to take the game to anybody, anywhere.

The football currently being played is of the top drawer. Long may it continue.

Barkley is having an excellent season. All credit to Martinez for putting him in and trusting him - something Moyes didn't do - and he is repaying the manager big time.

Really enjoyed watching the game today and a draw was a fair result. There won't be many teams who go to the Emirates and dominate the way Everton did in the first half, but credit to Arsenal, they came back into it second half. When the opener went in, I feared there wouldn't be reward for their efforts (and I'm convinced Moyes' Everton wouldn't have got anything) but wee Gerry D came up trumps again.

A really good point today and four from the last 2 games away from home is an excellent return. Allez allez allez ooooh.

Sorry I'm going to have to disagree here.

This Daily Mail article sums it up quite well for once(Aye, I'm just as shocked as everyone else)http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2528973/Everton-exactly-position-Christmas-David-Moyes.html

Why would Moyes not have trusted Barkley? He gave him his debut when he was 17? Loaning him out was a wise choice and a good decision, Moyes currently has no qualms at all about playing 18 year old Adnan Januzaj at Manchester United(where you could make a massive and fair argument that the pressure is much bigger). The re-writing of history by Everton fans is staggering when it comes to Moyes, he's the one who laid the foundations for what Everton fans are seing just now, and the football at times I saw teams play with him was fantastic, everyone was creaming everywhere with the link up play between Baines, Pienaar and Fellaiani, going by how Everton fans are saying you would genuinely think they were the ugly offspring of Tony Pullis's biggest wet dream, as it was they were quite decent and in fact, pretty much in the same position last year as where they are now.

Who would've thought?

Everton did at times play some good stuff under Moyes, and there's no doubt Martinez inherited a good squad. But for the good games, there were a lot of horror shows in there (the Wigan FA Cup farce for a start) as well. Moyes was a cautious manager and made Everton hard to beat - fair given they were in a relegation scrap when he took over. However, with the players he had he could've had them playing more expansive football on a regular basis, but didn't.

As for Barkley, Moyes gave him his debut, a few token first team appearances and that was it. Why not put him in? The kid has talent, that much is evident. He had no hesitation in throwing Wayne Rooney in at 16 - everyone who knew Everton realised Barkley was a special talent. Martinez is the one that has given him the freedom to be creative and the player and team are seeing the benefit.

I'm a regular watcher of Everton and there's no way the team would've played as boldly as they did at Man U and Arsenal under Moyes. No wins away to any of the so-called "top four" in nearly 50 games tells you all you need to know about it.

He did a great job definitely. But this myth that he had no money is another that annoys me - he broke the club's transfer record four times FFS. I think though that perhaps both manager and club were going a bit stale and the place needed freshening up, and Martinez is doing a great job at the moment. The playing style, for me, is definitely a lot more fluid and entertaining than it was under Moyes.

I agree with that - but for me Moyes will rank as one of the best Everton managers, despite not winning anything. He saved the club from a fate worse than death (relegation). I don't think Everton would have come back, they might even have done a Nottingham Forest/Wolverhampton Wanderers/Sheffield United/Wednesday.

Howard Kendall (although I'm glad he didn't come back for a fourth spell!)

Harry Catterick

Joe Royle (he did win the FA Cup)

David Moyes

Maybe Martinez will edge Moyes out