The Killing

Ayrgirl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forbrydelsen is great, or at least the 1st season is as that's all I've seen of it so far, but it's not as good as The Wire. It could've done with being shortened. Far too many plot twists. Completely lessens the impact when it's overused like they did.

I completely agree with you. As much as I became completely engrossed in it, it probably could have done with a bit of editing. The sheer amount of dead ends the investigation went down left me more than a little confused, with a fair few questions seemingly unanswered by the end of it all. I'm not the brightest mind you.

Having said that though, it was absolutely wonderful television which deserved all the plaudits that came it's way. In particular, I found the portrayal of grief by the Theis & Pernille characters to be beautifully realised and extremely affecting.

Naturally, I also became completely smitten with Sarah as the series progressed. She knows how to wear a sweater.

Started watching the Danish version. Got it on Sky+ and watched about 7 episodes so far and really liking it.

It's all about the jumpers!

Yeh, really enjoing the re-runs on BBC4, not seen the American version yet.

I thought the American version was quite poor, I couldn't get into it. I started watching the Danish version when BBC Four started showing it again and I absolutely love it. It's fantastic television and it does keep you gripped. Albeit some moments in it seem a bit over the top but that's just an aspect of TV shows relating to crime in general now.

Meyer is a great character, I like him in it. Theis is probably the strongest character in terms of acting performance IMO though. On a side note, apparently Troels Hartmann is Mads Mikkelsen's brother?

• 2 weeks later...

I missed the Danish original, and thought I would catch up with the US / Canadian production. (I know, I know, let's just get past "the original is better" and move on).

Anyway, end of series last night, and everything is left hanging until the next series, which I wasn't really going to watch. I only watched this one to the end because I was almost there by the time I realised I was bored, and figured I would just see it through.

So....in the US one, the political candidate gets arrested and charged and it looks like he did it. The female cop finds out on the plane that the male cop faked some evidence. The employee of the murdered girls father takes a shot at the political candidate, but we don't see that happening, so maybe he misses?

I'm pretty sure that's not what happened in the original.

Fill me in how it was meant to end, please.

Coincidentally the original Danish series (repeated) also ended last night on BBC4!

Spoiler alert clearly...

Seems to be a different ending - the cloying employee who sported a sticky plaster on his face in Episode 1 turned out to be the killer (didn't see that coming...), he took the father out to the woods to confess, tossed the father a shotgun, dared him to take revenge, father duly obliged.

The political strand was a bit more intriguing - the Mayor had a second stroke and withdrew from the election, seemingly leaving the path clear for Hartman (sp?) to claim victory. Hartman sacked his bidie-in / Machiavellian-stirrer in chief when he had reason to suspect she had cleaned up the flat so as to avoid implicating him in the scandal. He then discovered that he sacked the wrong person, but then gave in to a bit of blackmail so as not to alert the authorities. He then wrestled with his conscience / booze, ended with him seeming to turn to the dark side and lose his devil / angel battle - the dark side always wins seemingly. On the upside, his new stirrer in-chief is much fitter, so he will no doubt be having some fun there in Series 2...

Lund's position was left hanging a bit - she was being stitched up for various acts, compounded her crime by hijacking a police car, only to take the mother to the scene of the confession too late to intervene in the shooting. Seemed to be given a window to clear herself from the charges against her if she agreed to falsify various parts of the case file, to avoid embarrassing the force. Her own devil / angel battle - we weren't shown which side she chose.

But there followed a long trailer for Series 2, and Lund appears at the end - so we're clearly going to find out how she extricates herself from this dilemma.

I missed this when originally broadcast, but caught up with the repeats over the past few weeks, enjoyed it to some extent, but found the red-herrings to be a little bit too obvious, and as said above, the sticky-plaster was a major road sign to the "whodunnit" aspect, which spoiled it a little bit. Having said that, they've got me hooked in for Series 2, so look forward to that.

Flipping heck. After changing my mind about a hundred times throughout the series and a fair few times last night watching the last episode I think I went to bed with even more questions :lol:

Who the feck was he in the car with at the end? Want the second series now, not next year :rolleyes:

Coincidentally the original Danish series (repeated) also ended last night on BBC4!

Spoiler alert clearly...

Seems to be a different ending - the cloying employee who sported a sticky plaster on his face in Episode 1 turned out to be the killer (didn't see that coming...), he took the father out to the woods to confess, tossed the father a shotgun, dared him to take revenge, father duly obliged.

The political strand was a bit more intriguing - the Mayor had a second stroke and withdrew from the election, seemingly leaving the path clear for Hartman (sp?) to claim victory. Hartman sacked his bidie-in / Machiavellian-stirrer in chief when he had reason to suspect she had cleaned up the flat so as to avoid implicating him in the scandal. He then discovered that he sacked the wrong person, but then gave in to a bit of blackmail so as not to alert the authorities. He then wrestled with his conscience / booze, ended with him seeming to turn to the dark side and lose his devil / angel battle - the dark side always wins seemingly. On the upside, his new stirrer in-chief is much fitter, so he will no doubt be having some fun there in Series 2...

Lund's position was left hanging a bit - she was being stitched up for various acts, compounded her crime by hijacking a police car, only to take the mother to the scene of the confession too late to intervene in the shooting. Seemed to be given a window to clear herself from the charges against her if she agreed to falsify various parts of the case file, to avoid embarrassing the force. Her own devil / angel battle - we weren't shown which side she chose.

But there followed a long trailer for Series 2, and Lund appears at the end - so we're clearly going to find out how she extricates herself from this dilemma.

I missed this when originally broadcast, but caught up with the repeats over the past few weeks, enjoyed it to some extent, but found the red-herrings to be a little bit too obvious, and as said above, the sticky-plaster was a major road sign to the "whodunnit" aspect, which spoiled it a little bit. Having said that, they've got me hooked in for Series 2, so look forward to that.

Thanks. I still don't know who did the Channel 4 one, but I suspect that it was the politician, even with the fake evidence.

Is that season one finished now here? Thought it was fantastic and like you ayrgirl I changed my mind for who dunnit nearly every episode.

Yeah, last episode was on Thursday. I'm now not convinced that it was Darren Richmond. I think he may have met her but that his advisor, Jamie might have tidied up after him and it all somehow went wrong. The fact that I'm still guessing at the end and not convinced of who actually did it bears well for the 2nd series. Just a pity it'll not be until next year.

Yeah, last episode was on Thursday. I'm now not convinced that it was Darren Richmond. I think he may have met her but that his advisor, Jamie might have tidied up after him and it all somehow went wrong. The fact that I'm still guessing at the end and not convinced of who actually did it bears well for the 2nd series. Just a pity it'll not be until next year.

Or maybe the lass he is sleeping with has tidied it up for him?

Or maybe the lass he is sleeping with has tidied it up for him?

It was more when Jamie said to her about being there for ten years that made me think it was him tbh. I think she was gutted to find out about his affairs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great news. I thoroughly enjoyed the first series, although I'm not sure how they can replace Meyer. He was the best character in the first series.

I'm getting myself one of those jumpers. I don't care if they are for women 8)

There's an article about the new season in today's Guardian , which you shall find a link to below. I've yet to read it, so please don't shout at me if there's spoilers contained within.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/nov/03/the-killing-sarah-lund

A wee sneak preview of this seasons sweater to boot. I'm no Gok Wan, but I think she looks lovely in that colour.

• 5 months later...

Archived