New Manchester United 'keeper

Casillas

He reminds me a bit of Barthez... which isn't a good thing. Supposedly Real Madrid would be doing even worse without him though.

They need to strengthen their central midfield first IMO.

444474[/snapback]

I don't see him as a great keeper SB, a very good keeper but not the best.

Why do the Manx have so much trouble with keepers? Since Schmeichel it has been a comedy of errors, long may it continue :P

Serioulsy though, you would think with there world wide scouting set up and their superior finances that Man Urinal should be competing for the best keepers in the world, ie Buffon, Toldo, Cech etc.

Why do the Manx have so much trouble with keepers? Since Schmeichel it has been a comedy of errors, long may it continue :P

444564[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more :D .

Why they don't buy Niemi is beyond me... I know he's not a top, top keeper but he's very reliable.

Couldn't agree more  :D .

Why they don't buy Niemi is beyond me... I know he's not a top, top keeper but he's very reliable.

444839[/snapback]

I think the time really has come though for United to look to buy a top, top keeper and not look around the bottom of the premiership etc for someone who could be reliable.

I actually think Niemi is a top keeper. Casillas is probably the better of the two, but I don't think United fans would feel too let down by Anti Niemi.

I actually think Niemi is a top keeper.  Casillas is probably the better of the two, but I don't think United fans would feel too let down by Anti Niemi.

444851[/snapback]

Dont think he would be a let down either actually, provided he can sucseed where others have failed before and be able to make the step up to the Champions League.

Guest Geordie_Elvis

The problem they have got tho is that if they sign a big name (toldo,casillas etc) then there is going to be a hell of a lot of pressure on him, everything he does will be under scrutiny and one mistake could affect him.

I think keepers like Niemi,Given,Scwarzer,Kiely etc can get away with small mistakes as they arent under such pressure.

Again its a case of the media being too harsh on certain players.

Guest Lisbon_Lion

Carlo Cudicini would be a good keeper for Man Utd. He has got good shot stopping and reflexes. Very fast reactions and isnt getting a game for Chelsea because of Cech.

Carlo Cudicini would be a good keeper for Man Utd. He has got good shot stopping and reflexes. Very fast reactions and isnt getting a game for Chelsea because of Cech.

445068[/snapback]

unfortunatly cant see Mourinhio or Kenyon letting him come to United.

Niemi would be perfect for Man U. Not too highly impressed with Cassilas as a keeper, especially in England, too flamboyant and prone to punching too much. Really hope Man U sign him :D

Guest Pompey

I can't see past Niemi for United - if the scummers somehow manage to stay up this season, it will be in no small way thanks to him.

I can still see them going for Given and letting Alan Smith go the other way. As much as i love Given and doubt Newcastle could get anyone better in the net. I think it wouldnt be a bad deal for both clubs. Smith will be the exact type of number 9 Newcastle need when Shearer goes, and Harper is a very good keeper to replace Given. Not as good as Given, but still very good.

Man Utd already have a lot of strikers and losing Smith wouldnt be the end of the world for them, esspecially if they can solve their keeper crisis at the same time.

Casillas would be a great signing for Manure, but Madrid won't let him go for any less than £15m. Therefore they really should go for one of the cheaper alternatives such as Given, Robinson or Niemi

Guest Geordie_Elvis
I can still see them going for Given and letting Alan Smith go the other way. As much as i love Given and doubt Newcastle could get anyone better in the net. I think it wouldnt be a bad deal for both clubs. Smith will be the exact type of number 9 Newcastle need when Shearer goes, and Harper is a very good keeper to replace Given. Not as good as Given, but still very good.

Man Utd already have a lot of strikers and losing Smith wouldnt be the end of the world for them, esspecially if they can solve their keeper crisis at the same time.

445939[/snapback]

I would be happy with Harper if we sign Cesar from Deportivo to improve the defence, We arent a selling team but if we got Smith then not many fans would be upset. Given deserves some silverware and hopefully he will stay with us but nobody could grudge him a move away if he wanted it.

Harper is unlucky cos he could have been Englands number 1.

I would welcome Smith as well as a big move for Gudjohnsen and SWP, would be a hell of a line up next season.

• 6 years later...

I think the time really has come though for United to look to buy a top, top keeper and not look around the bottom of the premiership etc for someone who could be reliable.

3 month's later, Van Der Sar is signe

The problem they have got tho is that if they sign a big name (toldo,casillas etc) then there is going to be a hell of a lot of pressure on him, everything he does will be under scrutiny and one mistake could affect him.

I think keepers like Niemi,Given,Scwarzer,Kiely etc can get away with small mistakes as they arent under such pressure.

Again its a case of the media being too harsh on certain players.

Van Der Sar slipped under the radar for 3 1/2 years

Think cudicini or niemi would offer a better alternative as they are cheaper and are proven in the premiership. Barthez had a good reputation which he managed to destroy when he played in the premiership.

Surely a fail!!!

I can't see past Niemi for United - if the scummers somehow manage to stay up this season, it will be in no small way thanks to him.

Well they didn't keep them up so another Fail!!

Shaka Hislop is looking for a new club isnt he?? :lol:

He's doing well retired 8)

Smith left and wasn't missed. Was it part of the same deal Given went to City and disrupted in the 90th minute :P

I would be happy with Harper if we sign Cesar from Deportivo to improve the defence, We arent a selling team but if we got Smith then not many fans would be upset. Given deserves some silverware and hopefully he will stay with us but nobody could grudge him a move away if he wanted it.

Harper is unlucky cos he could have been Englands number 1.

I would welcome Smith as well as a big move for Gudjohnsen and SWP, would be a hell of a line up next season.

Well Given got an F.A. Cup winner's medal :), so at least he got some silverware.

Gudjohnsen and SWP for Newcastle = missed opportunity :lol:

Archived