Engurland's World Cup Chances

Beating Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan is hardly champions elect material, god forbid that it happens :o

Listening to the Talksport phone-in last night you would think that the trophy is already in the bag.

If England don't romp the qualification group that they are in there is something far wrong, only Poland were ever going to give them any problems.

England have some great players but a pish manager, their current world ranking is about right IMO, why should they be so confident.

I watched some of Brazil against Peru at the weekend, and the Brazilian team still looks awesome / immense, they must be favourites to retain the WC.

Your thoughts please :ph34r:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England arent good enough as a team to win the world cup. As far as squads go, they're up there with France, Italy, Spain and Brazil, but they dont have what it takes IMO.

As for Talksport and having the WC won etc What do you expect? this happens every second year with these idiots.

Whatever happens its gonna be a great tournament and one to look forward to. :)

Guest Geordie_Elvis

We need a new manager and a new formation, the squad is world class but unless we change tactics we are f*cked.No width due to lack of out and out wingersand no world class 'defensive' full backs.

Therefore I propose.....................

-------------------------------Robinson-----------------------------

----------------Ferdinand-------Terry------Campbell--------------

Dyer/Neville---------------------------------------------Bridge/Cole

---------------Beckham--------Gerrard------Lampard-------------

------------------------Rooney----------Defoe------------------------

We need a new manager and a new formation, the squad is world class but unless we change tactics we are f*cked.No width due to lack of out and out wingersand no world class 'defensive' full backs.

Therefore I propose.....................

-------------------------------Robinson-----------------------------

----------------Ferdinand-------Terry------Campbell--------------

Dyer/Neville---------------------------------------------Bridge/Cole

---------------Beckham--------Gerrard------Lampard-------------

------------------------Rooney----------Defoe------------------------

447670[/snapback]

Geordie, Eriksson will stick with his trusted 4-4-2 system everytime, he is so negative, with some of the players at his disposal it is hard to comprehend :blink:

I can't see him dropping Owen, and Beckscum is not the player he was.

Rooney is your shining hope, but good teams will not let him play :D

The players are there to go and win it but i dont think the manager is good enough. England havent lost a qualification game under him which is good, but when we come up against the bigger nations Erikson shows himself up, Germany 2001, and Argentina 2002 appart. He couldnt change things round to beat a 10 man Brazil in the world cup and there was no plan B in Euro 2004 against Portugal. The manager is the problem.

And dont worry about talksport. All the phone in shows have a totally contriversial topics on to wind folk up and get more callers arguing.

The players are there to go and win it but i dont think the manager is good enough. England havent lost a qualification game under him which is good, but when we come up against the bigger nations Erikson shows himself up, Germany 2001, and Argentina 2002 appart. He couldnt change things round to beat a 10 man Brazil in the world cup and there was no plan B in Euro 2004 against Portugal. The manager is the problem.

And dont worry about talksport. All the phone in shows have a totally contriversial topics on to wind folk up and get more callers arguing.

447722[/snapback]

Yeah you are right about TalkSport. They always select their topics to be controversal (in particular the tosser that is Mike Dickin). Anyway England won't win the World Cup until they get rid of Ericksson. If they sacked him and got in a decent manager then I could see them at least challenging to win the tournament. But thankfully the English FA will keep him in charge and they will go out in the QF as usual.

Guest Geordie_Elvis

Until we get rid of that cnut Eriksson England will live up to their usual 'always the bridesmaid never the bride' tag, we get to the Qf's or the Semis and thats it. We will talk about 1966 until the next big tournament comes around, beat all the pish teams then show the big boys too much respect and catch the next plane home.

Guest Pompey

Eriksson is not good enough - OK, he's never lost a qualifier, but they're hardly playing good teams!!

Beckham will struggle in WM06 having played for Madrid reserves for 6 months.

But - I think Eng*and ARE a good enough team to win it!!

I don't think they will though, because though they have the players, they have a shite manager.

I don't think Brazil will win it again either.

I believe that WM06 will produce a first time champion.

Also, if Greece qualify, they will be knocked out in the group stage without a goal.

england have as good a squad, player for player, as ANY team in the world.

the have a mix of solid players (terry, gary neville), some game winners (dfeoe, rooney) and some truly world class mixes (gerrard, lampard) but they just can't seem to pull it together.

mentally i don't think they are world cup winners- they had France completley on the back foot in the summer there but sat back and prayed for the final whistle- these teams are never going to be that easy to beat.

when was the last time england beat a really good team? they cheated past argentina in wc 2002 but then again argentina had a TERRIBLE tournament- can anyone hepl me out?

I always work on the basis that they're gonna win it. As they progress through the tournament I descend into deep, deep depression. The day when they are eventually put out (usually in quite hillarious circumstances) sees a monumental outpouring of joy and happiness from me. This for me, is the climax of the international football calendar.

Guest Pompey

mentally i don't think they are world cup winners- they had France completley on the back foot in the summer there but sat back and prayed for the final whistle- these teams are never going to be that easy to beat.

453256[/snapback]

Aye, a truly horrendous task, remind me how they got on at WC02, how many games did they win? Or knocked out by the Intenational version of Dundee in EURO02, or that they've failed to beat RoI (in Paris), Israel or Cyprus in WM06 qualifying :rolleyes:

Guest erseofthebank

They have a chance.

No chance.

It wont happen, the players dont have the mentality to go beyond the quarters. Their best hope is another shot at Euro 2008.

World cups belong to Italy, Germany, Brazil and Argentina.

The players they depends on, Gerrard, Lamps, Beckham, Ferdinand and Terry will bottle it in a quarter final against one of the contenders and they will get one of the favourites, they always do.

They have a good squad, there isnt any denying it but too many of the players are over-rated such as Becks, Ferdinand and Lampard, who coincidently make up the core of the team.

Good luck in qualifying for Euro 2008.

Guest Geordie_Elvis

We have as good a squad as anyone else in the world but we lack 1 important thing and that is a competent manager.

We show too much respect to 'big' teams and I think its in their minds that they cant win it.

It will all depend on how Rooney,Terry,Gerrard and Lampard play at the finals because if they all play to their potential and we get a bit of luck with the draw then we have a good chance of winning it, however I feel we are destined for at best a semi-final place. Our best chance is at the European Championships when the south americans cant cheat us out of anything :angry:

Guest erseofthebank
We have as good a squad as anyone else in the world but we lack 1 important thing and that is a competent manager.

455676[/snapback]

I disagree, when you look at the strongest nations throughout world football at the moment you have Brazil, Italy and Argentina and the teams who lack the cutting edge are Holland, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany and yes you've guessed it England.

Others include, Czech Rep, Sweden, Denmark, these teams dont really matter when competing for the World Cup.

Elaborating on the first paragraph, What do Brazil, Argentina and Italy have that the rest of the teams fail to possess? You mentioned it, the mentality for latter stages of these competitions and the ability to get the players to raise their game to a level they can out smart teams such as the ones who lack the mentality. Brazils talent is unquestionable, in the last world cup, Ronaldo won them it, now he is off his game, not finished completely just on a dry spell like all other strikers go through sometime in their career. Now they have the likes of Diego, Ronaldinho and Robinho all staring to excel. Argentina are the same as Brazil with the exception they have more physical strength than their South American rivals. Italy are the complete package, class strikers, complete midfielders and well the defence speaks itself.

Aye, a truly horrendous task, remind me how they got on at WC02, how many games did they win? Or knocked out by the Intenational version of Dundee in EURO02, or that they've failed to beat RoI (in Paris), Israel or Cyprus in WM06 qualifying :rolleyes:

453677[/snapback]

i am confused by your post, please explain :ph34r:

No chance whatsoever :P

My lingering memory is Sven sitting on the bench playing with his specs, watching his wannabees running round after Brazil for the whole second half in the last World Cup :D

Player for player they are excellent, most of their players would get into most international sides but Sven hasnt a clue, and as for the media, well they will be planning the celebrations before a ball is kicked :angry:

No chance

Archived