Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

BTW I'm not, as you may have suggested, upset about this and there are lots of examples of, say, "in a foment", in literature.

Also the role of a dictionary is, largely, to describe rather than proscribe and I don't think I'm being arrogant in saying that the dictionary got this one wrong.

So it's ok to disagree with the dictionary, but it's not ok to disagree with the SFA. Got it.

BTW I'm not, as you may have suggested, upset about this and there are lots of examples of, say, "in a foment", in literature.

Also the role of a dictionary is, largely, to describe rather than proscribe and I don't think I'm being arrogant in saying that the dictionary got this one wrong.

I'd agree with your reading of the dictionary's job to a degree. Often it reacts to how language is used, rather than dictates it.

I'm interested in these literary uses of "in a foment" though. Can you offer me any examples. I might start using it myself.

Here's a thought - when Jesus "fed the 5000", maybe he only fed 2 people.

Still, this approach to settling bills could help explain how Oldco got into the situation they did.  

'It's OK, gents.  I've settled the tax bills,' said Craig Whyte.

I don't think I'm being arrogant in saying that the dictionary got this one wrong.

:lol:

Well you've made me laugh so I will forgive what is possibly the most hubristic thing I have ever read. From anyone, ever. 

Don't go to the trouble of quoting or citing any evidence now, just assert it. That's the style.

As an aside it was me that invented sliced bread and the question mark too. No need to thank me . And I'm Batman.  :lol: And I kicked the cable out the big telly in picadilly square in 2008.  And I am also Superman and Wonderwoman and Uncle Bulgaria from the wombles.

Is that all the footballing debt or just some of it? Must be just some, otherwise you'd have written 'all', right?

:lol:

Debt is just that, it makes no difference who the creditors are

Aaah, one be hadn't deleted....

FFS I really do blame the schools

If I wanted to claim that all the small creditors were paid then I would have put an ALL before THE, just like Strinchy has been claiming I did for the past few weeks, he was wrong as are you.

The = definite article

Here is a wee link to help you:

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/determiners-and-quantifiers/definite-article

You really could do with learning the Queen's English before you type it on a message board 

The = definite article

Here is a wee link to help you:

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/determiners-and-quantifiers/definite-article

You really could do with learning the Queen's English before you type it on a message board

Lol what school did he go to?

Tom gave Jayne the apples...Miss Miss don't you mean ALL the apples?