Monday Night Raw Live

Ludo*1

Do the ratings take in to account those watching on the Network?

No, but apparently those who record the show account for another 15%. (although one would expect that number to be higher given it's on for 3 hours with lots of commercials)

People are turning away from television these days. Other than sports I don't watch television at all. So whilst the ratings are falling to what the WWF was getting in the mid-90's there's still a lot more people watching the show than during that era.

However, in the space of months Raw has lost about 25% of it's viewers so there's clearly a problem. As the number continues to decline will the USA Network step in and demand change? The network won't be happy that the money they earn from TV commercials during the show is decreasing.

WWE must surely be concerned. They need their TV audience. If that drops so does the potential to gain new WWE Network subscribers, merchandise sales, live event ticket sales and also their ability to negotiate TV contracts.

I've been having a look at some of the Raw episodes from 1996. The time where WWF were being utterly peltered for still being out of touch with what people wanted and in real trouble.

There's some utter garbage in that weekly hour of telly but what there never is, is the same two people constantly in matches for even two weeks in a row, much less 7 or 8 weeks as they seem to do today and so everything seems that wee bit fresher. I understand there's a huge difference between 1 hour and 3 hours of TV but the roster was a fair size back then as well.

That's the annoying thing. Right now they have a big roster, but they seem really reluctant to let those at the bottom feature. That wouldn't be so much of an issue if they weren't being hammered with injuries, as you'd have Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, Orton etc all working, and that's at least another two storylines ongoing you'd imagine.

But in the absence of those, what's wrong with having some storylines with some of the lower card to put a bit of variety in the show? You don't need to drop feuds like Reigns/Seamus, just don't feature them all the time. Make some new tag teams, make a stable of diddies. f**k it, have a Battle Royal or something to get twenty or so lower card wrestlers on TV. Just do something so that when you look back at RAW, you can actually point to something different happening for a change.

On another note, since there's not really a general WWE thread, looks like Brock Lesnar's opponent for the next Network special is known - Alberto del Rio for the US Championship. That's...bold.

That's the annoying thing. Right now they have a big roster, but they seem really reluctant to let those at the bottom feature. That wouldn't be so much of an issue if they weren't being hammered with injuries, as you'd have Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro, Orton etc all working, and that's at least another two storylines ongoing you'd imagine.

But in the absence of those, what's wrong with having some storylines with some of the lower card to put a bit of variety in the show? You don't need to drop feuds like Reigns/Seamus, just don't feature them all the time. Make some new tag teams, make a stable of diddies. f**k it, have a Battle Royal or something to get twenty or so lower card wrestlers on TV. Just do something so that when you look back at RAW, you can actually point to something different happening for a change.

Yup. On the episodes I've been watching, you have Bret, HBK, Austin, Vader, Taker, Sid, Mankind, Owen, Bulldog all having a feud where 3 or 4 of them are feuding over the title and the rest all have grudges to bear of some sort with some of these contenders. As a result there's a lot of blurring of the lines between face and heels but they all pose a credible threat and all have a sense of tension and dislike with one another.

Beneath that HHH, Mero and Goldust are in a fuel for the IC with lawler turfed in there as well. There are also plenty of lesser feuds that all seem to have meaning. It was poor compared to what was to come but great compared to the predictable formula of today.

Lesnar and Del Rio are two of the genuinely toughest men in wrestling, so that could have been an excellent feud and match if Del Rio hadn't been booked as a total loser ever since he beat Cena. I imagine this match will end in referee stoppage or a DQ caused by whoever Lesnar is due to feud with next.

Lesnar and Del Rio are two of the genuinely toughest men in wrestling, so that could have been an excellent feud and match if Del Rio hadn't been booked as a total loser ever since he beat Cena. I imagine this match will end in referee stoppage or a DQ caused by whoever Lesnar is due to feud with next.

I didn't actually think of a DQ. Blinded by the thought that surely they wouldn't have ADR go over, which left Lesnar with a relatively shit title. I'd be fairly happy for Lesnar to do his usual steamroller routine, with ADR getting in a bit of his MMA skill. Then when it's clear that Lesnar is just too good, ADR gets himself disqualified. That could work. Or just have someone cost him the match, setting up a new feud.

I hope they don't just have Lesnar burying Del Rio and getting himself disqualified in the process.

It reeks of something WWE would do and would bury the US title and do nothing for Del Rio.

I hope they don't just have Lesnar burying Del Rio and getting himself disqualified in the process.

It reeks of something WWE would do and would bury the US title and do nothing for Del Rio.

I don't think they're going to stray from the formula of Lesnar dominating. I suppose by the WWE transitive properties, Lesnar beat Cena and so did ADR, so it should be closer, but I doubt Lesnar would come back to have ADR go over. He's going to win, but the way they tell that story is the big unknown.

I can't see it being him beating ADR so badly that he gets disqualified. Well, I could see WWE doing it, but it makes no sense. We've never seen him get anywhere close to that. There's a story they could tell with that happening, but I have no faith in them doing so.

It's simple what they need to do. Have ADR get himself disqualified when it looks like he's going to go the same way as the others, after getting a good deal of offence in early. Fine to have Lesnar dominant, but not in a 6 minute match.