Monday Night Raw Live

Ludo*1

The big issues with the legends matches are twofold.

First is that the pool is very narrow, and that pool is older broken down guys who can't go anyone, with HHH probably the exception (obviously he can't go like he could before but he can still do so to a decent level). The narrow pool will soon dry up completely. Taker is done, Kane is done, HBK should never have come out retirement and HHH doesn't have long left at the level where it's worthwhile. Rock and Batista might be coaxed in to doing something with the right opponent, but it's more unlikely than likely. Whilst there will be plenty of wrestlers from years ago who can still go, none are legends, or at least on the level where it's worth a match at Mania. Once these guys are done there's really no one left to do a legends match, at least not unless Cena or Orton retire soon, and after them who are the legends? You'd have to wait for many years in the hope that someone like Bryan would come out of retirement for a match, which seems unlikely. WWE's shite booking and over reliance on Cena and Orton for a period and their refusal to build new guys (Wade Barrett could have been huge but instead they had Cena destroy the entire Nexus by himself) has fucked them, and continues to do so.

The second issue is that they usually don't help build and establish a new star. In addition the nostalgia pop is hollow. AJ Styles beating Shane McMahon did nothing for Styles. McMahon should never have been able to hang with him. If anything it diminished him. Should Shane face Miz this year the same will apply to Miz.

On 2/2/2019 at 14:59, Principal Flutie said:

There's a place for older guys in marquee matches at Mania. The show is long enough that they can both focus on the new and the old. They don't have to focus on one thing or the other. Their inability to do that won't change by having no older guys on the card.

And if you put one of those guys in a decent rivalry, then people will care. I'd worry more that they're not capable of doing that. HHH and Angle were involved in the best match at Mania last year which had plenty of interest. Again, they had a lot going on there for that to happen, but it shows that they have a place when it's done right.

This.  It's a bit reductive to say that they should be concentrating on x and not y.  Wrestlemania is like 40 hours long these days, you should be able to book the banter matches, the serious matches, the fun matches and everything in between and still have space for more.  I don't think there's anyone on their roster, or on the fringes of it that they couldn't put their heads together and write a decent story and match for them, and I include Angle, HHH, Taker and all their like in it.  

Of course, they won't, because they really struggle to write...anything, really.

The Mania where Rollins won the title was a great example of how it could be done. You had Rollins becoming champ and creating an all time great Mania moment, and in the same match, Reigns looked like an absolute badass having a fucking outstanding match with Lesnar, while having a nostalgia filled fun thing with HHH and Sting earlier in the night.

Guest bernardblack
Love the commentary team acting like Jarrett's been out of action for 20 years. Explains why the crowd haven't a fucking clue who he is.
Luckily Jarrett's got one of those styles where you're not expecting too much and therefore doesn't look bad.

Best punches in the business for me

8 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Safe to say he's not retiring any time soon. 

Retirement match at Mania surely?

Not sure who it will be against though. Please don't let it be Corbin. Corbin needs to be placed in to the nearest bin. McIntyre would be good but it seems that he and Strowman might be heading for a match at Mania? 

9 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

What's going on here then....  They're gonna kick Becky out of her Mania match due to her knee injury, replace her with Charlotte, only for Becky to come back right before Mania?

Steph with the usual screeching "You want to compete, you have to win at FastChamber against blah to keep your spot".  Nia Jax or something?  Basically the Daniel Bryan story in microcosm where it goes all pantomime over whether she'll be in the match, then *gasp* she's in the match.

Personally, I'd have Becky kayfabe suspended through the Chamber PPV, have her not appear at all but let her keep her Twitter game up.  Go all the way having a number one contender match, which obviously Charlotte wins, setting up the WM match with Rousey.  Then bring Becky back and let her "earn" her shot back, and make it a triple threat.  Gives them something to do in the dreadfully dull period between RR and WM.  

Actually, could we even see her going up against Steph herself at Fastlane?  Seems unlikely to see someone who loves the spotlight as much as McMahon appearing on a B, but by all accounts she seems to really love Becky outside of kayfabe, so would probably want to put her over in this way.

I don’t think Batista needs to be coaxed out of retirement. He seems like he’d love to come back for a mini-run and seemed to plant some seed against Triple H at Smackdown 1000.

I think that they’ve put that on the back burner following HHH’s injury at Crown Jewel.

Shame as I think it would be a great nostalgia match to stick in at the halfway point.

12 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think that they’ve put that on the back burner following HHH’s injury at Crown Jewel.

Shame as I think it would be a great nostalgia match to stick in at the main event

Vince McMahon has FTFY