Smackdown Thread

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know it's traditional to have a shiter in these matches, but are they really suggesting Jinder Mahal and Mojo fucking Rawley as potential World Championship contenders?

Ooft.

I can't remember which podcast it was on, but boy oh boy does wee Ginge know where some bodies are buried.  I imagine he is clean, but he looks like the poster-boy for steroids, he's one week removed from knocking out someone who looked like they'd be the company's golden boy, and now he's number one contender?  I know that match was thin with talent, but there were several people in that match who would be a better fit than him.  Maybe go with Luke Harper?   You know, the guy that both Orton and Wyatt have feuded with fairly recently in some capacity?  Hell, even Mojo would make more sense with his push recently.

But no.  Jinder Fucking Mahal.  Surely we're going to get shenanigans given that Backlash is absolutely ages away.  

Wait, is Orton vs Wyatt at Payback not for the title?

Jinder though. Fucking hell. This guy would be shite on NXT, but getting a title shot?! Dear me. Seems roids are the way to the top again.

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Wait, is Orton vs Wyatt at Payback not for the title?

Jinder though. Fucking hell. This guy would be shite on NXT, but getting a title shot?! Dear me. Seems roids are the way to the top again.

What makes you say that?  Was sure Payback was for the title, Orton wins, Wyatt goes to RAW, and Orton gets rewarded by a match against the Bollyroid Boy.

Because they were talking about the number 1 contender for Orton's title, as if it's a foregone conclusion he'll win (which it pretty much is I suppose).

Can't be arsed with the 'nasty foreigner' heel crap again as well. Weeks of xenophobic shite and 'USA!' chants await. Fucking joy. This feud will only be remembered as one of the worst and most dismal ever over the WWE Title. Worse even than R-Truth vs John Cena.

Also 'Bollyroid Boy'; well played.

Edited by DA Baracus

Ah, get you.  I guess they'd get out of that by saying "at the moment it is Orton's title", but it doesn't do them much good when it's already clear to absolutely everyone that Orton is coming out with the win.  

I read a report just there that the reason he's getting the push is due to moving into other markets around the world, specifically in this case India.  Now if that's true (which it probably isn't) then it strikes me as odd that they'd do it using someone as the stereotypical evil foreign heel.  If you're keeping kayfabe, then does it really attract viewers in that country to watch a character who is depicted as one of the worst things you can be in an American Wrestling Organisation, presumably to get effectively jobbed out by the American face?

At least with people like Nakamura and Asuka, you've got people you can really get behind.  I may be thinking too much into it, but just struck me as odd.

38 minutes ago, forameus said:

Ah, get you.  I guess they'd get out of that by saying "at the moment it is Orton's title", but it doesn't do them much good when it's already clear to absolutely everyone that Orton is coming out with the win.  

I read a report just there that the reason he's getting the push is due to moving into other markets around the world, specifically in this case India.  Now if that's true (which it probably isn't) then it strikes me as odd that they'd do it using someone as the stereotypical evil foreign heel.  If you're keeping kayfabe, then does it really attract viewers in that country to watch a character who is depicted as one of the worst things you can be in an American Wrestling Organisation, presumably to get effectively jobbed out by the American face?

At least with people like Nakamura and Asuka, you've got people you can really get behind.  I may be thinking too much into it, but just struck me as odd.

ppl cheer their hometown/country wrestlers even if they're heels. Bret Hart's Heel run was a classic example of absolute hero in canada, but #1 enemy in USA. Which brought about the best ever gimmick of the Patriot Del Wilkes (who had Angle's theme tune at the time and the brilliantly titled Uncle Slam finisher) Lets face it, even the yanks barely got behind him. 

Edited by Tamdunk

3 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

ppl cheer their hometown/country wrestlers even if they're heels. Bret Hart's Heel run was a classic example of absolute hero in canada, but #1 enemy in USA. Which brought about the best ever gimmick of the Patriot Del Wilkes (who had Angle's theme tune at the time and the brilliantly titled Uncle Slam finisher) Lets face it, even the yanks barely got behind him. 

True I suppose.  But then Bret Hart was pretty good.  Jindypops isn't.  Maybe he'll get pops in Canada though, given he's Canadian himself.

What the actual f**k are WWE playing at here? Jinder isn't even that nasty a heel. He's not said much wrong so far. I suppose he's DONE wrong by enlisting jobbers as sidekicks.

Nothing about this character, this push and the way he's being portrayed makes much sense.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

What the actual f**k are WWE playing at here? Jinder isn't even that nasty a heel. He's not said much wrong so far. I suppose he's DONE wrong by enlisting jobbers as sidekicks.

Nothing about this character, this push and the way he's being portrayed makes much sense.

It's truly bizarre. I'm all for pushing talent but it has to make sense. The guy was just literally jobbing to Mojo & Gronk :lol:. Has anyone seen improvements in him at all since his return? I guess it would be hard to tell as I assume he's hardly ever been in a match that's been longer than a few minutes.

Talking Smack is a great platform for talkers and SDLive acquired a number of good ones in the Superstar Shakeup but Jinder on it last night didn't really do himself any favours. Not all his fault I suppose as this episode did feel completely rushed. I'm genuinely intrigued to see if this is a legit Jinder push. Hard to see past it being one of those boo mr foreign guy and chant USA USA USA, then massive pop for an RKOwin.

That match is in Chicago btw, it's going to get shat on surely. 

I actually don't mind it too much. Made a nice surprise and is at least something a little bit different having a total jobber as number 1 contender. I'm at least remaining open to see where they go and how Jinder gets on in his chance to shine. Likelihood it will be shite but I am genuinely interested as to where they go from here - hoping it's not just the standard anti American gimmick.