Smackdown Thread

And thank god. we've seen all the moves a million times.

The ratings are dropping like flies because casual fans don't want to watch a glorified indie show of end to end wrestling, with mugs like finn balor jumping around like acrobats. Lowest raw rating of the year last night speaks for itself. Infact, raw has shed almost a million viewers in the states since wrestlemania. 

Edited by Snakebite

And thank god. we've seen all the moves a million times.
The ratings are dropping like flies because casual fans don't want to watch a glorified indie show of end to end wrestling, with mugs like finn balor jumping around like acrobats. Lowest raw rating of the year last night speaks for itself. Infact, raw has shed almost a million viewers in the states since wrestlemania. 

Aren't ratings down mostly because people don't watch tv the same way anymore?

Everyone more or less has a tablet of some sort or a streaming service. It's not like the Monday night wars when wrestling was must see tv as there wasn't really an alternative they had to watch it live for their wrestling fix. Now people can just catch the highlights on the WWE YouTube channel or watch whatever they put up on the network instead of sitting through a 3 hour show on Mondays.

18 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Aye, okay. :lol:

Given that most folk accept the product is pretty poor, I'm not really sure on your logic here.

Jamie complained about the lack of wrestling on smackdown last night. Theres loads of great wrestlers around just now, but the ratings have been going down for years the more it has resembled a pure wrestling show. Hogan, Austin etc, they were never great wrestlers. The only people tuning in regularly now are hardcore fans, who seem to treat wrestling as a football team almost, where if someone looks in and slates it, they treat it as a personal attack on themselves. I seen that Kings of Leon got slaughtered for what he said about no one watching wrestling. Years ago, he'd have gotten laughed at for not watching. WWE need a total change of direction on their shows, IMO. Sorry if that annoys folk.

Austin was a terrific wrestler. Just because he wasn't a guy rolling on the mat, doesn't mean he wasn't superior to most. He basically created an entire WWE main event style. Had all sorts of great matches from the early 90s right to the early 00s because he was good enough to work around limitations when they came around. Hogan was capable as well, if not great.

Hogan is a completely different breed though. And Austin can't really exist in today's world.

WWE's problem isn't the actual direction. It's that they don't HAVE an actual direction. Aiming a million different ways at once. The hardcores are getting turned off as well as everyone else, because WWE have no idea how to cater to everybody. They used to be able to do that. Many of WWE's better times were able to mix great wrestling with great characters. They don't have the latter anymore because the writers are inept for the most part.

And to say WWE's output is pure wrestling these days isn't the case. The weekly RAW is wall to wall nonsense stuff with a couple of long matches on it. Smackdown doesn't really get that, but Smackdown has ALWAYS been more wrestling orientated. That's never changed. Yet this year, that took over RAW in the ratings. Funny that.

EDIT: Worth noting that during WWE's boom on TV from 1997 - 1998, the in ring product was fucking brilliant a lot of the time. It IS possible to have a proper wrestling show and appeal to the casual fans as well. And then in 2000 - 2001 as well. What you're wanting from them now isn't possible. They don't have the guys coming through, and they don't have the writers good enough to make these great characters.

Edited by Randy Giles

On 5/24/2017 at 19:27, Randy Giles said:

Austin was a terrific wrestler. Just because he wasn't a guy rolling on the mat, doesn't mean he wasn't superior to most. He basically created an entire WWE main event style. Had all sorts of great matches from the early 90s right to the early 00s because he was good enough to work around limitations when they came around. Hogan was capable as well, if not great.

Hogan is a completely different breed though. And Austin can't really exist in today's world.

WWE's problem isn't the actual direction. It's that they don't HAVE an actual direction. Aiming a million different ways at once. The hardcores are getting turned off as well as everyone else, because WWE have no idea how to cater to everybody. They used to be able to do that. Many of WWE's better times were able to mix great wrestling with great characters. They don't have the latter anymore because the writers are inept for the most part.

And to say WWE's output is pure wrestling these days isn't the case. The weekly RAW is wall to wall nonsense stuff with a couple of long matches on it. Smackdown doesn't really get that, but Smackdown has ALWAYS been more wrestling orientated. That's never changed. Yet this year, that took over RAW in the ratings. Funny that.

EDIT: Worth noting that during WWE's boom on TV from 1997 - 1998, the in ring product was fucking brilliant a lot of the time. It IS possible to have a proper wrestling show and appeal to the casual fans as well. And then in 2000 - 2001 as well. What you're wanting from them now isn't possible. They don't have the guys coming through, and they don't have the writers good enough to make these great characters.

The writers and creative in general is pretty poor in WWE, and I think a lot of the issue lies with Vince. They dont let things grow organically and as soon as something starts to build momentum they try and ram i down your throat as much as possible. Its really a case of one the one hand they dont listen to the fans enough, and when they do they take it too far and it becomes complete overkill (im thinking fandango as an example - let people sing along  but we dont need lawler telling people to do the fandango constantly)

They also have a tendancy to take people that are over for some reason, then completely ignore the reason / dont give them a chance and they end up being forgotten about. case in point (and I accept their have been legal reasons) the broken Hardy's were over because of there antics in promo's etc, the actual wrestling was never great, but I dont think there has been one grean bean or a sighting of Senor Benjamin yet. All we have had is an odd maniacal laugh and a quick delete. Hopefully Ceasro and Sheamus break them so we can get a bit of entertainment.

Although to be fair it has been better of late with Styles and Joe not really changing too much when joining WWE. And granted it must be hard to come up with a gimmic that is both original and relevant as most things have been done to death

The Broken gimmick is under legal debates atm tbf. I agree with the Vince problem. I'm simplifying it but NXT has a greater connection with fans, more organic development of characters and everyone (generally) seems to have their deserved place.

The Broken gimmick is under legal debates atm tbf. I agree with the Vince problem. I'm simplifying it but NXT has a greater connection with fans, more organic development of characters and everyone (generally) seems to have their deserved place.

NXT is a different market though. That's aimed at the fans snakebite was going on about. And even at that it's getting to a point where it's the same story for every feud on there. Not sure I could take that on RAW or Smackdown every week either.

7 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Jack the jobbie saying on WC a women's MITB match is in the works for the upcoming ppv

That could be decent. It would at least be interesting to see.