Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Can’t have hurt the finances to get Nisbet money in, win a league, sell a  mountain of season tickets then not having to worry about paying wages to loads of footballers. Getting that superfluous keeper off on loan somewhere will help too. 

Regarding Paul McGowan. I think there has been a clash between the board and management team on that one. Just an opinion.

If you heard Meggle's Courier interview about recruitment being a collective decision between McPake, MacKay, Cook and Meggle and how it's widely done in Germany.

I think the board have put the buffers on that deal.  McPake said something along the lines of ''the longer it goes on , the more likely Paul will go elsewhere'' Meggle speaks about recruitment of players we can invest in and sell on. McGowan certainly isn't that.  For that reason I have doubts about Wotherspoon coming here.

Sensed a bit of frustration in McPake's interview  on Tuesday. Partly about the game but he highlights how experience helped us take control of the game when Chalmers and Bene came on. He has a pop at Fisher. Almost like he was proving a point about experience.

I think there football guys want a bit more experience and ready made quality in the squad and the board want the remaining budget invested in future profits.

Not sure that tracks when McPake has signed O'Halloran recently. There won't be a fee due for him when his time at East End is up, likewise Benedictus, Chalmers and Wighton, all of which were signings (or an extension in Chalmers' and Wighton's case) that the board were clearly fine with (otherwise they would've have happened).

Edited by DA Baracus

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Not sure that tracks when McPake has signed O'Halloran recently. There won't be a fee due for him when his time at East End is up, likewise Benedictus and Wighton, all of which were signings (or an extension in Wighton case) that the board were clearly fine with (otherwise they would've have happened).

I mean willingness from the board to sign more older players after these signings you mentioned. I think the board now wants us looking in a younger market for our final 3-4 players,  where the management team have eyed up a older player.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

Craig Wighton had his 26th birthday today, he's not exactly old. 

I thought it was the refinery flashing earlier. Turns out it just him blowing the candles on his cake out.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I thought it was the refinery flashing earlier. Turns out it just him blowing the candles on his cake out.

I double checked his Wikipedia history to make sure someone wasn't having me on, c***s been around for at least fifteen years. 

3 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Regarding Paul McGowan. I think there has been a clash between the board and management team on that one. Just an opinion.

If you heard Meggle's Courier interview about recruitment being a collective decision between McPake, MacKay, Cook and Meggle and how it's widely done in Germany.

I think the board have put the buffers on that deal.  McPake said something along the lines of ''the longer it goes on , the more likely Paul will go elsewhere'' Meggle speaks about recruitment of players we can invest in and sell on. McGowan certainly isn't that.  For that reason I have doubts about Wotherspoon coming here.

Sensed a bit of frustration in McPake's interview  on Tuesday. Partly about the game but he highlights how experience helped us take control of the game when Chalmers and Bene came on. He has a pop at Fisher. Almost like he was proving a point about experience.

I think there football guys want a bit more experience and ready made quality in the squad and the board want the remaining budget invested in future profits.

Aye this is a bit of a worry for me. We 100% need more experience in the team so we can’t purely chase these young prospects that might sell for a fee. Like others have said, the O’Hallaron signing does kinda goes against that so who knows.

Last thing we need is the board/management being at each other’s throats. Understand they’ll disagree on things but hopefully that’s all it is. I’m sure it’s not easy. McPake has targets but those holding the purse strings have other ideas.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure that tracks when McPake has signed O'Halloran recently. There won't be a fee due for him when his time at East End is up, likewise Benedictus, Chalmers and Wighton, all of which were signings (or an extension in Chalmers' and Wighton's case) that the board were clearly fine with (otherwise they would've have happened).

If Wighton has a goal return like he did last season then there’s a high chance someone might take a punt on him and pay a fee. Probably won’t hit his peak for another 2/3 years. 

Just now, The Toun Clock said:

Last thing we need is the board/management being at each other’s throats. Understand they’ll disagree on things but hopefully that’s all it is. I’m sure it’s not easy. McPake has targets but those holding the purse strings have other ideas

McPake has been working with them for over a year already and seems really determined not to just bring in any old player. I get as much of that sense from anything he has said compared to the board. 

Think we all have to be patient in full knowledge loan players will be inbound in the next few weeks. Andy Tod may as well be a new signing he's come out of nowhere in the last few weeks. Just need a bit more depth and I think McPake will be able to make the case that he has plenty young prospects that are potentially sellable assets and needs dare I say it league winner experience.

Must say the meagle interview doesn’t completely sit right with me,  

I don’t mind the general recruitment structure of greater responsibility over signing whoever the manager wants within budget, manager turnover is too great to not have a structure in place that doesn’t completely change every time a new guy comes in.

But the talk of managing guys best to win games and guys you can develop is more than a tad worrying.  I’m all for developing players and bringing in revenue but the only reason we exist is to win games, just the suggestion we are happy to sacrifice some chance of that feels inherently wrong.   Now if we get part B right and that by losing a few games opening quarter but able to bring in very good revenues  by selling them in a year that means we can re-invest in the first team and get prem football within 2 years I’d be happy, however these guys have been involved for 3 1/2 years and we’ve sold one player who was signed before the came aboard, it’s not like the cross fingers and hope for future success has much evidence to back it up.

Think the post from @Chubbychops probably has some degree of truth to it. It may not be as serious as a "clash" but I'd fully understand if McPake was frustrated about not getting in the players he's been after, especially if he felt it was due to hesitation from the owners.

Have to point out though; there's a reason the Germans bought us to begin with. Obviously, there were plans to bring in young talents from Central Europe and that got quickly binned due to the Brexit deal making work permits a nightmare. However it's clear they want to develop younger players and sell them off for profit. While I'm sure they understand you can't simply have a squad full of younger talent, I'd think they would need some persuading about why adding guys in their early to mid 30s was worthwhile.

For what it's worth, I'm surprised anyone cares that we didn't add McGowan. I'm assuming it's just a general frustration at the overall lack of signings because the guy showed absolutely nothing last season that made me think he'd play a key part for us in the Championship. The fact he's had to drop into L1 says it all.