Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Being the worst full-time side in the country (not counting Ayr's half-arsed effort) means you'll always be signing players very late as you have to wait until they have been rejected by every other full-time side. We experienced this for a few seasons before turning part-time.

We're not jobbers like Airdrie though, so that helps.

I'd imagine most managers would want to have their teams pretty much sorted by the time they're playing pre-season friendlies. The whole point of having a pre-season is to get your players fit and working together in a coherent fashion. That's sort of out the window if you're waiting until the competitive games to sign four or five players.

I have no views on Talbot or Fordyce as I can't remember ever seeing them play or they weren't very memorable. They would struggle to be worse than the mince we watched last season though, so will give them every chance.

Two solid signings. Was fed up of seeing us pushed about last season. It seemed like every week would somehow not win one 50/50, meaning we usually had to start with possession in our own half rather than starting attacks further forward and able to get in behind defences.

Phase one for AJ is to get us more organised (eg midfielders in midfield and play to the strengths of strikers and other groundbreaking ideas), add a bit of muscle (these two signings seem ideal) and work on the management of previous star players who have become passengers. He's not a miracle worker and I just worry we're left with too much dross in the squad and that has hugely hampered his ability to bring in the 'right' kind of player.

A possible team (below) still seems like men against boys (in physical stature if not age) when you compare us to the teams who finished above us last year. We did just fine with a lightweight team when we first dropped down here but dreadful tactics and team selections just ground us to a halt and sapped confidence.

We're probably no different to most teams in the league just now - you can make a case for us challenging at the top just as easily as you could argue we'll struggle near the mid-bottom.

Keeper

Williamson

Taekwon Talbot

Martin

Fordyce

Byrne

Falky

Spence

Hopkirk

Moffat

Faissal

Phase one for AJ is to get us more organised (eg midfielders in midfield and play to the strengths of strikers and other groundbreaking ideas), add a bit of muscle (these two signings seem ideal) and work on the management of previous star players who have become passengers. He's not a miracle worker and I just worry we're left with too much dross in the squad and that has hugely hampered his ability to bring in the 'right' kind of player.

A possible team (below) still seems like men against boys (in physical stature if not age) when you compare us to the teams who finished above us last year. We did just fine with a lightweight team when we first dropped down here but dreadful tactics and team selections just ground us to a halt and sapped confidence.

We're probably no different to most teams in the league just now - you can make a case for us challenging at the top just as easily as you could argue we'll struggle near the mid-bottom.

Keeper

Williamson

Taekwon Talbot

Martin

Fordyce

Byrne

Falky

Spence

Hopkirk

Moffat

Faissal

Man, that team looks grim.

2 Gks

1 Cb

1 Cb/Lb

2 Wingers

1 Cf

No need for another Rb, have Williamson and the new Livi lad, we certainly don't need any more centre mids!

Byrne, Spence, Geggan and Falkingham?

Edited by Grant228

There is the small matter of a budget to stick to. We won't have the luxury of having multiple players for each position. Like other teams we will have to rely on our youth players to supplement the first team. Shit like 3 keepers is simply stupid at this level.

I certainly don't see the manager spunking the budget on players for positions that are already covered by players already under contract.

2 Gks

1 Cb

1 Cb/Lb

2 Wingers

1 Cf

I agree, this is what I feel we need, too. I'm only unsure over one position - it may be 2 strikers and 1 winger, depending on where AJ sees Faissal playing. Hopefully Wallace can stay fit too this season to give us more options - we certainly missed him last season.

Current team to start the season looks like

Gill

Williamson Fordyce Martin Talbot

Faisal falkingham geggan hopkirk

Wallace Moffat

I think looking for new first choice Center mids or strikers is a unrealistic, ultimately to be successful johnston has to get players like geggan and Moffat at their best, also finding enough duct tape to hold Wallace together would be very helpful.

We need to think of the squad as one and not as an u20s and a first team going by the boards statement at the end of the season we are looking at 26-28 players in total that should leave 2 men per position + a few extra. Currently we have

1 keeper

2 right backs

2 Center backs

2 left backs

2 winger

6 Center mids

5 strikers(inc faiss)

Leaving 6-8 players to sign

I'd be looking at

1 keeper

2 Center backs

2 wingers

Just to get 2 men per position + our normal extra Center mids

With that leaving orru as 2nd choice left back and nobody else who can really cover there a further left back would be helpful. That puts us at the min 26. If we are to get 28 id like an additional keeper(especially if it's combined with a coaching role) with the final place going to a striker.