Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Have you still got our keeper?

Is he ready for the step up?

Maybe you could have a loan of Galls next season?

He's probably ready to retire, never mind step up. Poor lad must be traumatised after two seasons as a one man defence. He'll probably scoop the player of the year awards again. He's not perfect - kicking can be a wee bit suspect - but wonder saves are the norm from him.

Happy about everything apart from JP returning to his role of coach.

So not happy with the main crux of the statement then? If you read the overview properly it details clearly the financial position of the club, rightly or wrongly it's pretty obvious why JP has been kept on.

Good statement from the board and i am glad that they have reached the same decision that the majority of fans wanted to see. Nothing worse than a board that goes against the fans.

Still not convinced that a new manager coming in will want the old manager on the coaching staff though. I can't see that going down well with whoever it is.

The problem is that Potter is still contracted until next year, as per his original contract. The statement makes it quite clear that money is very tight, so there's no way the club can sack him as they'd have to pay it off.

He's probably ready to retire, never mind step up. Poor lad must be traumatised after two seasons as a one man defence. He'll probably scoop the player of the year awards again. He's not perfect - kicking can be a wee bit suspect - but wonder saves are the norm from him.

Eh?

It's also pretty clear the board all like Potter and do what they can to take the heat off him. They're happy to just admit it was a gamble that didn't work.

I think the board are doing the right thing as employer - simply ditching him could kill any potential coaching career stone dead. This isn't costing the club money we don't have and it gives Potter the chance to find a new role either within the club or elsewhere at some point.

It was only three games but there is a precedent here. When Dick Campbell left, the manager who took the team for three games became the assistant when Jimmy C took over and that didn't work out too badly for everyone (apart from the whole brink of extinction part!).

The problem is that Potter is still contracted until next year, as per his original contract. The statement makes it quite clear that money is very tight, so there's no way the club can sack him as they'd have to pay it off.

I understand the financial aspect, I am just looking at it logically. Would you feel comfortable coming into a club where the old manager is still hanging about?

This is the type of thing that can potentially stop us from bringing in the right manager who can get us out of this division. It can be argued that "well if (insert manager's name here) is not willing to come in then he obviously doesn't want the job that much", yet the fact is that our next manager shouldn’t have to be accommodating the old manager.

Sometimes caretaker managers can’t handle reverting back to their initial role and working under a new manager, which as a result negatively impacts the club's season. In our case, we can't afford any unnecessary distractions as if we can't get out of the league next season, it will take an even bigger financial burden on the club. Just to make it clear, i am not suggesting that this is going to be the case with Potter, yet I see more negatives than positives to this.

Maybe as Gordie says, Potter will be willing to leave on his own accord if the new manager wishes to bring in his own head coach. We’ll obviously need to see how that develops.

Also the club should seriously consider only offering one year deals to members of the staff at the club, so we can avoid situations in the future whereby we can't afford to pay people off. That way, we can avoid stuff like keeping around an ex manager or a constantly injury prone player like Wallace.

Seeing quite a lot of Pars saying that they are glad Potter is 'being kept on' (despite the usual stuff about how awful he is after every defeat and folk calling him a 'clown' and other variants).

Firstly, as we've pointed out above, he isn't 'being kept on'; he's staying because he still has a contract.

Secondly, and most importantly, why are folk glad that he'll still be here? They say he's a nice guy and a Pars fan, but so are most of us. As far as I can see, Potter adds nothing to the team. I wouldn't be at all sad to see him go and if there was the money for it, I'd be all for him being punted.

Edited by DA Baracus

That's some length of statement that the Board have released! It's refreshing to have such an open and honest board, but the overall tone is very grave.

I was surprised and disappointed about the operating losses of £250k - I'd rather have seen them not budgeting for any kind of cup run rather than projecting for two games in the Challenge cup, two in the League Cup and three in the Scottish. By the tone and content of a couple of paragraphs I wonder if next season might be the last of full-time football if there's no promotion to the Championship...

Moving forward, we will continue to operate next season with a core of full time first team players, with potentially some part time players, although the practicalities of this will be discussed with the new Manager. The intention would be to operate with a reduced squad next season of 18-20 first team players (plus eight Under 19 players), but crucially with a core of players who know what is required in this league.

In SPFL League One, the Centenary Club Lifeline and season ticket sales effectively keep our club alive, and provide the only platform, other than promotion to the SPFL Championship, to allow our club to operate as a full time club again next season.

I'd rather see them start next season part-time if it means they don't have to run the risk of another operating loss.

How about Greig McDonald for next Pars gaffer? Ex-par who knows the club, knows his way around the lower leagues and part-time players, and has a promotion under his belt with Stirling Albion.

How about Greig McDonald for next Pars gaffer? Ex-par who knows the club, knows his way around the lower leagues and part-time players, and has a promotion under his belt with Stirling Albion.

No, as there's simply much better candidates available for the position and we need someone who doesn't have a connection with the club.

Also i have read some people suggesting Gus McPherson :lol: Think we can put that one in the same pile as the Football Manager CV's.

That's some length of statement that the Board have released! It's refreshing to have such an open and honest board, but the overall tone is very grave.

I was surprised and disappointed about the operating losses of £250k - I'd rather have seen them not budgeting for any kind of cup run rather than projecting for two games in the Challenge cup, two in the League Cup and three in the Scottish. By the tone and content of a couple of paragraphs I wonder if next season might be the last of full-time football if there's no promotion to the Championship...

Moving forward, we will continue to operate next season with a core of full time first team players, with potentially some part time players, although the practicalities of this will be discussed with the new Manager. The intention would be to operate with a reduced squad next season of 18-20 first team players (plus eight Under 19 players), but crucially with a core of players who know what is required in this league.

In SPFL League One, the Centenary Club Lifeline and season ticket sales effectively keep our club alive, and provide the only platform, other than promotion to the SPFL Championship, to allow our club to operate as a full time club again next season.

I'd rather see them start next season part-time if it means they don't have to run the risk of another operating loss.

How can you have been surprised by it? The club openly said that they will run at that sort of loss for this season before it started.

Agree though that it's worrying. Cup games should never be budgeted on. If we don't get promotion next season then we will definitely be going fully part time. I imagine all contracts given out for next season will be either 1 year deals or will have a clause about a wage drop if we don't get promotion.

In regards to your shout for manager, have to admit I've never heard of him.

So not happy with the main crux of the statement then? If you read the overview properly it details clearly the financial position of the club, rightly or wrongly it's pretty obvious why JP has been kept on.

I understand it just not happy about that particular point. I think it's actually financially irresponsible to force him onto another manager. It could put people off.

Just my opinion.

It's his original contract that has him contracted until next year. I don't think he's being 'forced' on to another manager, rather that there is no option here as the statement makes it clear how tight finances are, and so they can't just pay him up and punt him.

Not too sure how many would be put off by it, especially since he'll only be here for just a year.

Think people need to realise that it's not like what it woudl be at a higher level where the greater resources mean that people can bring in their new team and move on the old team. At this level managers are working full time at estate agents and the like. As long as Potter implements what the new gaffer wants then what is the problem? And if Potter does kick up a fuss (which i am convinced he won't) then he can be dismissed for refusing to undertake the duties he is tasked with.

I understand it just not happy about that particular point. I think it's actually financially irresponsible to force him onto another manager. It could put people off.

Just my opinion.

That's some leap that mate.